Review: My first double: LH Chapuis Brousse 470 NE; Evo-Shield recoil pad

Enjoy!

Congrats, a beautiful looking rifle!

@rinehart0050 7 months isnt a bad wait time. But we all know it feel like an eternity. Glad its all good she sure shoots well too. Are you going to reload for it a fine tune the loads??

Congratulations on a nice double. Chapuis make a nice rifle and Ken is a good guy to deal with. I have worked with Ken, Dan at William Larkin and Moore, and George at Champlin and they are all gentlemen that take care of their clients.

@rinehart0050 7 months isnt a bad wait time. But we all know it feel like an eternity. Glad its all good she sure shoots well too. Are you going to reload for it a fine tune the loads??
probably not anytime soon. Don't have enough time with work commitments. Right now, the double shoots factory ammo great, so I'll stick with that.

Very nice, I use to stick my nose up at any Chapuis. Maybe I was right then, but now I believe they are a quality rifle at a fair price.

Now put it to work.
Lon

Very nice, I use to stick my nose up at any Chapuis. Maybe I was right then, but now I believe they are a quality rifle at a fair price.

Now put it to work.
Lon
IMG-20210710-WA0043.jpg

Done!

View attachment 322027

I recently recieved my first ever double rifle, a Chapuis Brousse in 470 NE, and had the opportunity to take it out to the range over the holidays. The buying experience was very positive and she shoots great. I'm extremely happy with the double rifle and recommend it to anyone without reservations.

Also, I picked up an Evo-Shield recoil pad and shirt. I highly recommend this product, as it felt like it reduces the pretty hefty recoil by over 50% (no science to support that, just my assessment. More to follow below...

Make: Chapuis Armes
Model: Brousse (left handed)
Caliber: 470 Nitro Express
Extras: case hardened, initials engraved on trigger guard
Importer: Ken Buch @kebco of KEBCOLLC at info@kebcollc.com, (301)460-9563
Cost: $12085
Stock Fitting: Glenn Baker @Glenn of Woodcock Hill Inc, owner of Thomas Bland & Sons Gunmakers Ltd., at bland@epix.net

Some pictures:
View attachment 322031

View attachment 322032

I ordered the double through Chapuis' American Importer, Ken Buch, KEBCOLLC. He estimated about 6 months. Final delivery time was just shy of 7 months.

A key recommendation that Ken made was to have myself measured so that the rifle could be fitted to me. I also highly recommend this as it helps with recoil and makes mounting the rifle far more natural and comfortable. Ken recommended Glenn Baker of Woodcock Hill.

Glenn is a great American and did an exceptional job. He also took me under his wing, teaching me all about shooting a double rifle and let me shoot a 470 he had in stock to get some familiarity with the caliber. Glenn uses the Try-Gun system to measure you, which allows you to shoot a gun that is fitted for you after the appropriate adjustments. It is 100% worth the time and money to take a trip out to Glenn's place in Pennsylvania for a fitting and some shooting instruction. I can't recommend it enough!

My fitting:
View attachment 322033

After the fitting, I ordered the rifle. I was also able to choose my wood from three blanks. I chose the middle one:
View attachment 322034

View attachment 322035

After the obligatory wait, the rifle arrived in a Negrini hard case:
View attachment 322036

View attachment 322037

Here are some close-up photos. I particularly appreciate that this is a true left handed rifle. There are all kinds of little details, like a lip on the left side of the trigger guard, my initials engraved, etc.

View attachment 322038
View attachment 322039
View attachment 322040
View attachment 322041
View attachment 322042
View attachment 322043
View attachment 322044
View attachment 322045
View attachment 322046
View attachment 322047
View attachment 322048

Here's the front sight. Notice that it has a flip-up that has a bigger bead for aiming in lower light conditions:

View attachment 322049
View attachment 322050
View attachment 322051

More to follow in my next post about shooting this rifle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeniceMons

Latest profile posts

3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available