Results of Hurricane Helene

swashington

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hey all, hurricane Helene turned out to be a real wild ride. In my little town of Steinhatchee Fl, we got hit with almost 22ft of storm surge. Our town lost all four of our Marinas and both boat ramps. This is important as we are a fishing town and that is what our economy is based on. I am a fishing charter captain and will be out or work for months because of this. On top of that my wife worked at one of the marinas and will be out of work indefinitely. As will most of our town. Our one grocery store is out of commission, both gas stations, three restaurants completely gone. I would say about 60% of the jobs in our town will be gone for months at best. Most of the businesses just got back in operation from Idalia last year and Debbie in August. Funding to start rebuilding again is going to be hard to get.

We left for the storm and looking at your home and leaving it alone to face the danger by itself was heart wrenching. I felt like I was never going to see it again. So much of my life's work went into my little piece of heaven so tears were shed saying goodbye to it. All we could do is let God know we place it in his hands and drive away trusting that whatever happens it will be to our benefit and his plan. Coming back and seeing it intact with just battle wounds let a whole new flow of tears fall but this time in relief and thankfulness.

I am one of the lucky ones, I live on high ground and only sustained a little damage; however, we are balls deep in cutting down trees and clearing debris. Some of my friends and fellow charter captains lost their homes and now their businesses.

I am double lucky as I was in negotiation in purchasing a business and just closed the negotiation when we heard the storm was coming. God willing, I will close on the sale and be in business (away from this town) by the end of October.

Even though I sustained little damage it is still thousands in repairs. My house (barndaminium and cabins) is not complete yet and is not eligible for insurance. Which means all the repairs is out of pocket expenses. All around we were very lucky. The bad news is we have to cancel our trip to SA next year. Hopefully we will do our honeymoon the following year. What an amazing wife I have, I hope I can give her the adventure of a lifetime in SA without too much delay.

To all those who are believers we still ask for prayers for all those who are now homeless and in need. The linemen (real heroes in hardhats) are out there working their magic to get us powered up again and we are receiving great support from the state (God Bless Ron Desantis) and charities. It is a beautiful thing to see how a community can come together and help each other, just a shame conditions have to be so bad to make it happen.

Glad that you and your’s are safe. We lost a lot of trees in our last hurricane in Houston, but nothing like you guys went through.

I live in coastal Georgia. Some of the city has power, a lot doesn't. My neighbors do, my family literally across the street do, I don't. Well that's not quite right; I have power but it's like a trickle that sometimes turns into a waterfall. Every now and then I'll get my lights back on and the AC going strong and then right back to the trickle. They say it'll be back fully by 2200 on 10/01/24. May the Omnissiah favor me with faster recovery.

Gas stations are either out of power or out of gas if they have power. I've got enough in the car to, I think, make it to work and back the next two days. Hopefully I can get more when I'm off again Wednesday and Thursday, if not sooner.

For a while we thought we were on a countywide water-boil advisory but it seems that only applies to people not on the City's water. I'm not one of them, so that's a plus.

And as for work? I'm an essential category employee so I get to go to work as normal. The night of the hurricane itself we'd lost power in the detention center for a couple hours earlier in the day. On my night watch we lost it for very brief periods (a few seconds) something like eight, nine times. The inmates are, or at least were, on lockdown since Thursday and they were getting very antsy by Saturday because they just cannot wrap their heads around the idea that "The entire county is in a state of emergency and we're suspending a majority of actions for the safety and security of the facility" and that we aren't punishing or picking on them. We were running on generator power for days, still might be.

More personally I was forced to stay at work far longer than I should have on my day off Saturday. My relief officer never showed up; apparently he up and quit and didn't come to work. My Watch Commander was trying for hours to get me relieved. Got to work early at 1800, signed in at 1911, got off at 1330 the next day. 18hr shift and I'm not supposed to work past 16. Not really looking forward to the next two shifts because I haven't had an adequately relaxing weekend off.

Amazing how much this hurricane has destroyed things here and it didn't actually HIT us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyeSands

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?