yarettlopez

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
MEXICO, SOUTH AFRICA
I am restoring a winchester M70 post 64 in .458 wm. I send it to full re-bluing and now I will continue with the wood, but before doing a refinish I would like to know if there is any oil to bring the stock back to life or if it is necessary to redo everything, thanks for your help.

incollage_save.jpg
incollage_save.jpg
IMG_7932.JPG
IMG_7930.JPG

Reactions: 503
I've done several stocks by light sanding and several coats of boiled linseed oil. It will keep it looking dark the way it is now but it's a good finish.

I'm sure there are better woodworkers On here than me that will have good input as well.

Cheers

From what i can see, the grain on your stock is pretty rough. So if you want a high class finish, you need to remove the finish thats on there and fill the grain and refinish. That said a coat of oil will make it look better.

I have refinished several stocks and it is worth the work.

I refinished my Browning a bolt using french red stain and Linspeed oil, and I have been happy with the finish. Definitely have to completely strip the old finish first to get good results. I used citristrip.
61gbqdcz0uL._AC_UL600_SR600,600_.jpg
513652.jpg
IMG_20221214_175805.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Halazi

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?