Removing bolt jeweling

PAUL_MAUSER

AH veteran
Joined
Nov 26, 2023
Messages
230
Reaction score
466
Location
U.S. HOCKLEY,TX
Member of
SCI, DSC
Hunted
USA TX, TN
Can jeweling be removed from a rifle bolt and claw extractor without causing any issues with reduced dimensions? I'm looking at and pondering a custom rifle however the one glaring thing I do not like about it is the jeweled bolt and claw extractor.
 
Most jeweling is very shallow, in fact it normally gets buffed out from normal use on contact areas of the bolt. It should be a simple matter to use fine sandpaper (600 or finer) to remove it. While technically any metal removal will affect the dimensions, it would be so slight to not make any practical difference in my opinion.
 
I would talk to a gunsmith instead of depending on a internet forum where you'll get a dozen different answers.

My opinion is that as long as it's on the bolt body and not the locking lugs you should be fine polishing it off. For the extractor, you can just replace it.
 
I cannot see how buffing the jewelling from bolt body would affect anything. Don't touch the locking lugs or bolt guide I agree with above, simply replace the extractor and polish it with buffing wheel and compound. If the retainer for extractor was jeweled I would definitely replace it. Too thin to start with.
 
It’s not as simple as just sanding it down smooth.
Bolt jewelling is basically just scratches on the surface, question is "how deep are those scratches" They should be light circular marks on the surface, but if they are deep, it’s a lot more material to remove which could cause issues depending on how much play there is to start with. If you are not sure, or confident enough in your own ability, get it checked out by a gunsmith or someone knowledgeable, who knows what they are doing. I have a scrap bolt here that had the scratches smoothed out by an idiot, bolt is no longer round and was binding in the worn receiver if cycled vigorously
Gumpy
 
Shame to remove it, but you can. Engine turning aka jeweling is done to best guns for a purpose, the small swirls retain and hold microscopic oil which aids in protection and lubrication of a firearm.

But yes, it’s very thin and you can remove about 5 thou of material and it will be gone. Cost to remove it? Probably $125. Cost to properly put it there in the first place on a high quality firearm? $350+
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,330
Messages
1,573,172
Members
169,719
Latest member
EffieKnopf
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top