Remington 9 ½ primers

M70375!

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Out of the last 500 Remington 9 ½ primers used, I have had 4 fail to fire, anyone else having problems with these primers? Certainly. can't be trusted for dangerous game loads.

I would say it’s something else. Of all the things that can cause a FTF a faulty primer is far down the list.
How were they handled? Were they seated to the bottom of the pocket? Is there excessive headspace? Has the striker spring been changed. (Especially if an FN model 70). Were they stored properly?
As I said there are so many variables.

I bought my 1st and hopefully only brick of Remington primers. I have had 3 or 4 misfires out of the last few hundred. Different guns also. I think it is the primers. Never had the issue before.

I would say it’s something else. Of all the things that can cause a FTF a faulty primer is far down the list.
How were they handled? Were they seated to the bottom of the pocket? Is there excessive headspace? Has the striker spring been changed. (Especially if an FN model 70). Were they stored properly?
As I said there are so many variables.
They are brand new, so storage is probably not the problem, they have failed in both my FN model 70 375 and Kimber Caprivi 416 Remington. I never touch them, just dump out of box onto primer flipper tray and seat them with RCBS hand priming tool, I assume they are bottomed out, but I suppose if I pull the bullets and dump the powder, I can see if they will seat any deeper. How would I check head space at home, could I put a piece of tape across the head stamp and see if the bolt closes? I have since switched to Federal 215 that I have had for about 12 years and so far no problems with those . Where would I find replacement striker springs, I will google that one.
Thanks

I bought my 1st and hopefully only brick of Remington primers. I have had 3 or 4 misfires out of the last few hundred. Different guns also. I think it is the primers. Never had the issue before.
I just bought 3200 of them, didn't really trust them in the first place, but thought I would burn them up for target loads and save my CCI 250 and Federal 215 for for hunting

Keep me posted, I am curious how many more misfires you might have out of that brick

They are brand new, so storage is probably not the problem, they have failed in both my FN model 70 375 and Kimber Caprivi 416 Remington. I never touch them, just dump out of box onto primer flipper tray and seat them with RCBS hand priming tool, I assume they are bottomed out, but I suppose if I pull the bullets and dump the powder, I can see if they will seat any deeper. How would I check head space at home, could I put a piece of tape across the head stamp and see if the bolt closes? I have since switched to Federal 215 that I have had for about 12 years and so far no problems with those . Where would I find replacement striker springs, I will google that one.
Thanks
Sounds like you may be doing all you can. Try Midwest gun works for the spring. I would get two.
I wonder if the quality may have dropped after the bankruptcy.
You can use some small solder wire to check headspace. Remove the striker assembly and shut the bolt on a round sandwiching the solder between the bolt and case. Then measure the thickness. I kinda doubt it’s the problem if your fired cases look good but it would be nice to rule it out.

I refuse to use Remington primers after one ruptured and burnt a pit in the breech face of my 416. I called Remington with loads of pictures and they offered me a free box of primers...

I refuse to use Remington primers after one ruptured and burnt a pit in the breech face of my 416. I called Remington with loads of pictures and they offered me a free box of primers...
That’s one of the reasons I used Remington and avoided Winchester primers was to prevent bolt face erosion. The Remingtons have (at least had) a slightly thicker cup. Now availability trumps preference.

My experience with Rem 9 1/2 has been very good. Im afraid that none are as good as they used to be.
I think you hit the nail on the head, I mean look at the quality of their rifles compared to 30 years ago.

what a joke on Remingtons part

That’s one of the reasons I used Remington and avoided Winchester primers was to prevent bolt face erosion. The Remingtons have (at least had) a slightly thicker cup. Now availability trumps preference.
spot on, that's the only reason I reluctantly bought those Remingtons was because I couldn't get any Federal or CCI

Never had any issues with them. Up to 10320 reloads according to my book. Man I’d better hide that from the wife! Can’t believe I shoot that much:unsure:
In saying that it is a manufacturer maybe they just ran a bad batch.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidTaine

Latest profile posts

NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?