Remington 798

Attachments

Correction: Reverse that. I keep getting these 2 mixed up. The 458WM is a 799, currently getting repaired/ upgraded.

The 375H&H is the Rem Model 798.

20241006_011530.jpg
20241006_011557.jpg

The 798’s were in 375h&h and also 458wm. Mine was the “Tri-Stock” which looked like a walnut stock but had a laminated middle layer of timber and a rosewood or similar forend tip. Also a shorter barrel than the laminated stocked version. The rich gloss blue was a very good blueing job.

This is one of those "learn something new every day" scenarios. Was at the range and a fellow was shooting a Remington 798. It was a Zastava, Serbia made controlled feed Mauser style action in 30-06 imported by Remington during the '70s. I had never heard or seen one of these before. I'm curious as to the accuracy of these rifles. It certainly was a good looking gun with a laminated stock and highly polished blue action and barrel. I'm considering buying one but before I do, I'd like to hear anyone's comments or experience with them.
@Hogpatrol
It was only imported into the USA for two years back in 86. Came in calibres 243 to 458. There was even a version in 375H&H and weight was 7# with barrel lengths of 22-26".
Being a zastava action and barrel it should be reasonably accurate but like all other rifles may need tuning up with a bedding job.
Bob

See post 34, 37 and 38
@ActionBob
If'n my memory serves me correctly the Germans started using laminate stocks back in the 40s during the war. There was a shortage of wood during the end of the war so the Germans came up with the idea of using different timbers and gluing them together to make stocks. I've even seen a few with finger joints part way up the forend to make it long enough.
I may be wrong but if my fading memory serves me I think they were the first.
Bob

@ActionBob
If'n my memory serves me correctly the Germans started using laminate stocks back in the 40s during the war. There was a shortage of wood during the end of the war so the Germans came up with the idea of using different timbers and gluing them together to make stocks. I've even seen a few with finger joints part way up the forend to make it long enough.
Bob
Yea but Bob, was that more of a multi layered plywood looking stock?

Or the 3 piece premium look laminated stock process I'm talking about? Did you look closely at the pictures?
Mel Smart invented that stock.

He sold the design to Serengeti Rifles.

One of the best stocks ever made.

I don't own one, but i did notice the same pretty gun on the next bench over at the range a few years back-the owner let me shoot it (as I too was dialing in not one but two .300 Win Mags-mine and my son's.) I was impressed-it was essentially a more modern, updated version of the older Interarms Mark X. Using the other shooter's factory Win ammo, it printed 1.5" groups. Throwing in 3 of my handloads, it too shot 0.5" groups. Both use the Mauser 98 action, but I believe the Mark X was from the 70s and the 798s manufactured in the mid-2000's. Dare I say, I'd take the factory 798 over the 700 anyday! ;) Win also has some interesting modern M70s made over in Europe that are pretty nice as well.

This is one of those "learn something new every day" scenarios. Was at the range and a fellow was shooting a Remington 798. It was a Zastava, Serbia made controlled feed Mauser style action in 30-06 imported by Remington during the '70s. I had never heard or seen one of these before. I'm curious as to the accuracy of these rifles. It certainly was a good looking gun with a laminated stock and highly polished blue action and barrel. I'm considering buying one but before I do, I'd like to hear anyone's comments or experience with them.
@Hogpatrol
Amendment to my post
It wasn't the 80s the 798 came to the USA, it was 2906-2008.
I hadn't had my second coffee so the brain was only half awake. Even after 2 coffees it doesn't get much better. Must be getting old timers memory.
Bob

@Hogpatrol
Amendment to my post
It wasn't the 80s the 798 came to the USA, it was 2906-2008.
I hadn't had my second coffee so the brain was only half awake. Even after 2 coffees it doesn't get much better. Must be getting old timers memory.
Bob
That's correct; it was my understanding too that they were imported 2006-2008. I've also read that they initially didn't sell very well; and by 2009/10, you could find them on clearance for sub-$500 USD (even for the big magnum calibers). Those days are obviously long gone.

Here is my daughter's 798 in 243 Winchester (shudder) that I picked up at a pawn shop going out of business sale four years ago for $399. They are solid guns from the start, but can definitely benefit from some aftermarket tuning.

20200918_151728.jpg

Normally a very accurate rifles. Just beware of the magnum Zastava's in with what ever name they have on them. The later ones had all sorts of problems as the tooling for them was worn out. The actions can be out of round, the screw holes for scope bases can be off center, misaligned, not aligned with each other. Do not know how these particular rifles shot. Had a couple of mates who found out the hard way and heard of a few others.

@ActionBob
Bob
My memory as well Bob. Don't know if they were the same method of laminating as we see today but certainly the first to make laminated stocks that I know of. The idea of laminating sticks could have come from there or the DeHavilland Mosquito as its fuselage and wings were laminated timber.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IzettaScan

Latest profile posts

TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!
TAG SAFARI wrote on K31's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on davidg8480's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on Daven22s's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on bobdahunter84's profile.