Reloading for .308 win

That is very impressive, the 308 is really a workhorse.
funny, the book on those loads is about 2800, and I am pretty conservative hand loader. neither the cfe223 nor the win748 are at max. i think i'm about 1-1.5% below max on both of them

but...i had a Hornady engineer tell me a number of years ago my 308 is a unicorn. I really prefer shooting 175/178/180 at about 2600 out of it. It'll last danged near forever with those heavier bullets. Only reason I starting loading GD and SMK 168s is because everybody was out of the 175 and 178 gr bullets I really like to shoot.

I can hit 20" targets from 1000 with all of them: Hornady 178, Berger 175, GD 168, and SMK 168. I'll never win an F-class open, but if/when the zombie apocalypse hits, I'm ready on more than one front. ;)

It's an off-the-shelf Savage 10 FLPC, about 2012 manufacture. Only thing I've done to it is add a cheek riser. 24" fluted barrel, accustock and accutrigger.

Any advice on a reloading manual that is current, meaning it has data on some of the more recent/new powders? Most seem to be many years old and may not have newer info. Or is just going online to find this better. Im going to reload .308 and i just found and bought some CFE223 (Midway). I also have some IMR 4064. Looking to load some 130, 150 and 168 gr loads. Have Barnes ttsx in 130 and 168 and Hornady SST and Nosler AB in 150 grain. Thx.

Any advice on a reloading manual that is current, meaning it has data on some of the more recent/new powders? Most seem to be many years old and may not have newer info. Or is just going online to find this better. Im going to reload .308 and i just found and bought some CFE223 (Midway). I also have some IMR 4064. Looking to load some 130, 150 and 168 gr loads. Have Barnes ttsx in 130 and 168 and Hornady SST and Nosler AB in 150 grain. Thx.
Go here:

Having said that….308Win, 165gr bullets and Varget goes together like peas and carrots

Yes Varget is impossible to find. Do you know where it is avail?

Several ponds in my safe… but yah it’s not going anywhere

IMR4064 is pretty close, so is IMR4895. Midway had some in stock last week, for about 8 minutes.

CFE223 is really good stuff, you bet you are going to get a load with it.

I haven't loaded the 308 in a few years so my data is for older powders and bullets- but I recall that I preferred ball powders for the loads which were 150 - 180 gr bullets. W748, H335 & Bl-C2 worked the best- I'm not sure how CFE223 compares to these- I've read it is surprising how good it is. But as noted, I don't have load data for it or the newer mono-metal bullets.

165 gn SST 43gn 903 Geco Hülse 4351 ZH.JPG

The gun fell down, so a few control shots in a hurry (at 100 m).
On good days I am much better with it.
165gr Hornady SST 43gr RWS 903 powder.
By the way,the Interlock Round Nose shoots mega in my Sako 85(just not my bullet).With a silencer the shot sounds like I have a ricochet every time.Makes me nervous :oops:

Last edited:
I'm getting great results with 150 gr bullets and IMR4895

I second the notion on both CFE223 and Win748. I use the former with Speer Gold Dot 168, and the latter with SMK 168. Great velocity (almost not to be believed at 2800+ fps) and sub-MOA accuracy with both.

if you can find some, Alliant 2000MR will work well with 308 as well, and Hornady has loads published for it in all 3 of their last manuals, including XI, which was just released.

my gripe about CFE223 is it's so fine, I always end up with a huge mess. IMO, Win748 and 2000 MR both meter better, though they're not entirely mess-free.

Hi man!!!
.308 are a real workhorse as "YancyW" said...

The most impressive thing about the cartridge is its ability to handle heavy weights efficiently with short barrels, not so the lighter weights from 160 and down that achieve more velocity with longer barrels.
My "shorty" (18" barrel) are about 2500 fps with some 180 gn bullets, with variuos powders, but with 150gn ... well... it{s a challenge to hit the 26450 fps!!!
I prefer an argentinian powder to the 308, "A27" powder, produced by Fabricaciones Militares, here, but I used some Alliant, AA, IMR, Winchester and belgian powders with the same good work

See what components you can get and develop off that.
Some sort of .308 stuff should be available, the chambering is as common as muck but really is versatile and mostly economical when components are normally available at normal pricing.

Ancient history!
Many years ago, I bought a used Winchester Model 70 Featherweight .308 for hunting deer. For a couple of years it was fun tinkering with it and loading 150 grain ammo for it. By then I had used an Arkansas stone on the trigger, filed off enough wood that the barrel was completely and evenly free floated, added a good recoil pad, added Leupold M8 4 power scope, and perfected my bench rest shooting technique and shot a 3/8 inch 3 shot group at 100 yards. A well known bench rest shooter was consulted on how to further improve the rifle. He said "Go hunting." So I did and the rifle rarely missed on a target so large as a deer.
Then I tried the then- new Hornady Light Magnum factory ammo and saw the rifle shoot their 165 grain bullet as well as my best 150 grain handloads . Never hand loaded for the rifle again. On average a 20 round box will last 3-4 years and there is no need to waste time and ammo at a shooting range. The scope has not been adjusted in more then 20 years and is still right on.
It has worked out well as I prefer hunting to loading ammo anyhow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pinkbeautyclub

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?