Reloading 9.3x64

The 9,3x64 is definitely superior to the 9.3x62 round. It makes you wonder why it is not more popular. It also passes energy requirements a good bit better for those countries which require minimums.

The 9,3x64 is definitely superior to the 9.3x62 round. It makes you wonder why it is not more popular. It also passes energy requirements a good bit better for those countries which require minimums.

Availability of brass is the biggest draw back IMHO.

If you can get access to Woodleigh's reloading manual, they have load data listed that includes Reloader 15, 17, and 19; N140.150, and 160; and R904, 905, and 907 Powders. Projectiles covered are Woodleigh's own 250, 286, and 320 grain bullets. Sorry can't copy and paste at the moment...

If you can get access to Woodleigh's reloading manual, they have load data listed that includes Reloader 15, 17, and 19; N140.150, and 160; and R904, 905, and 907 Powders. Projectiles covered are Woodleigh's own 250, 286, and 320 grain bullets. Sorry can't copy and paste at the moment...
The 9.3x64 would have no problem pushing a 320gr bullet!

I'd like to try the Norma Oryx 325 gr.
Do any of you have some load suggestion?
I have access to Reload Swiss powder (RS60/62 the more appropriate I guess), IMR 4350, trying to find again Norma powders.
Any help?

Unfortunately not from my side. I try myself for months to find for my rifle caliber 9,3x64 a satisfactory load with the Woodleigh 320gr PP, an bullet that is very similar to the Norma 325gr Oryx. I tested some powder, among other things R903, R904 and R905, but so far none has delivered me a sufficient accurate load. The possibilities to test other powders are currently very limited because we have problems in our countries to supply ourselves with powder.

The problem with the bullet may also be due to the weapon. I have always had good experiences with the RWS 19g TUG bullet in both rifles caliber 9,3x64 that I owned. These long and heavy bullets may not be suitable for all rifles.

This is a very good input, thank you Geoff!
I'll find a way to have the Woods data (y)

Unfortunately not from my side. I try myself for months to find for my rifle caliber 9,3x64 a satisfactory load with the Woodleigh 320gr PP, an bullet that is very similar to the Norma 325gr Oryx. I tested some powder, among other things R903, R904 and R905, but so far none has delivered me a sufficient accurate load. The possibilities to test other powders are currently very limited because we have problems in our countries to supply ourselves with powder.

The problem with the bullet may also be due to the weapon. I have always had good experiences with the RWS 19g TUG bullet in both rifles caliber 9,3x64 that I owned. These long and heavy bullets may not be suitable for all rifles.
Yes, I definitely think that twist rate/rifling played a big role. For sure Tug and Tig bullets are perfect for any 9,3, hard to say if I'll get lucky with those long bullets.
I know of a gentleman who used them with great accuracy in his Mauser 66.
As for the powders availability, here is a nightmare, as in all Europe I guess. Reload Swiss are quite present on the market, and they suggested me (by email) not a specific load, anyway to try with RS 60 and 62.
We'll see. It would be cool to develop a good load with those 325, they would make a super combo.
I'll keep you posted.

I had the best results in terms of precision with the 19g TUG factory load from RWS, also at longer shooting distances, an load that I used at various hunts worldwide for years. I tested different reloads as the cartridge 9,3x64 is not very difficult to load, but never reached the precision of the factory load from RWS. The terminal ballistics of the TUG bullets, no matter which caliber, is but another topic.

This is a very good input, thank you Geoff!
I'll find a way to have the Woods data (y)
I have a "spare"; a bit well-read, I'll PM you my email address, and I can try to send it on, with an address exchange. Signed by Geoff Woodleigh ...

As for lead-free bullets, luckily I have two usable reloads, one with the Barnes 250gr TTSX and R903, both components are but not available at the moment, and as a substitute RWS 225gr TUG Nature and RS50, components still available. Both are but not loads for hunting Big Game.

As for lead-free bullets, luckily I have two usable reloads, one with the Barnes 250gr TTSX and R903, both components are but not available at the moment, and as a substitute RWS 225gr TUG Nature and RS50, components still available. Both are but not loads for hunting Big Game.
This is also great because I do have a couple bosex of TTSX 250!

The load with the 225gr TUG Nature is a good substitute so I will stick with that, especially as the Reload Swiss RS powders are available, which is not the case for the R903.

I still have to work on the load for the 320gr bullet so that I have an cartridge that I can use in Africa for hunting bigger game when the opportunity arises.

I had no problem getting an accurate load with Swift A-Frames (286gr) in combination with RS60. When using either GRT or Quickload velocity was underestimated. Both assume the initial pressure being very high (750 bar). Reducing initial pressure to 250 bar gave much better results. After talking with Reload Swiss they agreed with my findings and said they heard similar reports before. I get about 775 m/s (about 2550 fps) from a 600mm (23,6") barrel.
Perform outstanding.

I would also say that our 9.3 would make a great Brown Bear cartridge as well - to say, the TTSX pushed at 2800+ would be my choice for that.

As far as the game that I have hunted and shot with the cartridge 9,3x64, and still hunt, is concerned, there were and are mainly various deer species and wild boars. There was never a bear, and for some reasons I don't want to shot one.

9,3-64.JPG

Rhino 14 is the same as Norma 202. Have taken a bunch of PG with the TSX (820m/sek).

That roughly corresponds to my loads of 65gr R903 behind the Barnes 250gr TTSX. If I make an effort, I can also get sometime good shots groups with my load.

When it came to loading lighter 9,3mm bullets, I had in the past good results with the Norma 231gr Vulkan and powder N140. Unfortunately, I have never tested this loads while hunting, but the new owner of my rifle at the time took it over and was completely satisfied.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dirk89B86

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?