AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
BASC, British Deer Society
Hunted
RSA, Zimbabwe
This may sound like a strange question but perhaps you could indulge me.
I have come across a double rifle that is part finished. Sadly the gunsmith has passed away so cannot be asked.
The rifle is reported to be finished externally with the exception of the rear sights requiring filing and blueing. Am I safe in the assumption that regulation will have been done whilst the barrels were in the white or is regulation done after blueing the barrels?
My original thought was that regulation would occur before blueing as the finish would be badly affected by heating the barrels.

Generally correct, although in the case of an unfinished rifle I’d be careful to make sure you know what you are buying before you purchase it. Make sure you budget for any work that may need completing, and don’t assume that everything else is finished. There are details such as ejector timing etc, that are critical and would require someone with the proper expertise to do.

From experience I can tell you that even reputable companies don’t always know much about double rifles…. They may be honest but lack expertise in some areas and they do get things wrong on the details.

If you happen to know a qualified gunsmith that you would trust to finish a double rifle or three for a reasonable price then it may be worth it… but you’ll only know for sure once it’s finished.

This may sound like a strange question but perhaps you could indulge me.
I have come across a double rifle that is part finished. Sadly the gunsmith has passed away so cannot be asked.
The rifle is reported to be finished externally with the exception of the rear sights requiring filing and blueing. Am I safe in the assumption that regulation will have been done whilst the barrels were in the white or is regulation done after blueing the barrels?
My original thought was that regulation would occur before blueing as the finish would be badly affected by heating the barrels.

I suspect you are talking about the same rifle I inspected last week; the staff claimed it had been regulated but I was dubious for the same reasons as yourself. It also didn't have a third bite or cross bolt.

I called Paul Roberts of J. Roberts and Son, who gave me a pretty good rundown on the issues that one might expect with such a rifle. If you can get it at the bottom end of the recommended price range, you'll have more dry powder to throw at it if it turns out to require extra work.

Keep us updated if you go ahead with the purchase. It was a lovely rifle to handle, and I'd be fascinated to see how it turns out.

Id ask them how a rifle with no sights could be regulated: somebody's not into the doubles very well as in the process you install the sights and then start your regulation process of bringing the POI together with iron sights.

Its surprising how many folks get" sighting in" and " regulating" mixed up, and that can be problematic in a conversatiion..

ID RUN OUT THE FRNT DOOR!! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristaGri

Latest profile posts

jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with
Grz63 wrote on Cecil Hammonds's profile.
Greetings from Clermont -ferrand !!
We 'll visit Livingstone / Vic Falls for 3 days and 2 nights. Back to Mapcha by car, back to WDH with Airlink (grab my rifles and belongings) and the same day back to Frankfurt.
What do you mind from your own experience ? and your wife .? Did she appreciate ?
We already hunted Namibia in 2022, May for PG near Outjo for 8 days. Great country.
Thank you for your advises.
Philippe
Hello Cecil
I am Philippe from Center of France. I plan to hunt Zambezi with Zana Botes in 2026, Oct after a couple of days for PG in Namibia in his lodge. I will be with my wife. She is not really a huntress and we promised to go visit Vic Falls. I imagine to go to Caprivi by car , hunt there 7 days (for buff) and go by car to Vic falls (PH will bring back my rifle) . sorry I am required to write 2 messages
buckstix wrote on magnum308's profile.
yes ..please send me a copy ... buckstix@aol.com