Spearhead

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Namibia
Curious help from those that like the red Hartebeest and have taken one.

In 2022 I made my first trip to Namibia. Red Hartebeest hit a nerve inside of me and just really like them so that was my tied wish list with Gemsbok.

Didn't see any gemsbok, but did take some great animals.
The Hartebeest bull I took had a floppy right ear which was fine by me, but my scenic route question is, what do most people do with them?
Shoulder mount? Euro? Did you tan the backskin and if so, what did you do with it?
Thanks for any advice.
Euro is unique and cheaper, but I'm on the fence with a shoulder mount .

IMG_2086.jpeg
IMG_2942.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a wall pedestal in the works. I agree with other comments here, once I saw the one I shot up close on the dirt, decided to have that done over a Euro. Looking forward to receiving it.

I like those wall pedestals. Thank you.
Color of the coat, shape of the head and the unique horns did it for me. I think I shot a pretty nice one. Certainly happy with the hunt and this critter.
20220707_135457.jpg
I live in an older ranch so no high walls and rooms are not large, figured the wall pedestal would protrude less into the room. Good luck with whatever route you choose to go!

Mine was so good I am having a floor pedestal done of it. Measured 70 1/8. SCI Gold and Rowland & Ward.

Attachments

• van Wijk Safaris 234.JPG
    7.6 MB · Views: 56
  • van Wijk Safaris 258.JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 41
  • van Wijk Safaris 258.JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 39
Last edited by a moderator:
Color of the coat, shape of the head and the unique horns did it for me. I think I shot a pretty nice one. Certainly happy with the hunt and this critter. View attachment 616749I live in an older ranch so no high walls and rooms are not large, figured the wall pedestal would protrude less into the room. Good luck with whatever route you choose to go!
Great bull. They just fascinate me. So very unique. I guess everyone has their favorite.

Taxidermy can really only be decided by the individual. I get less and less taxidermy done with each trip and wish I would have saved the money on more than a few mounts now. If you plan on going back, I’d just get a euro mount. If it’s a once in a lifetime hunt or the animal is really special to you for whatever reason get a nice taxidermy mount. Speaking just about red hartebeest. I really think they are an underrated trophy. I don’t understand why more people don’t make them a priority. I got my first shoulder mounted. The next 3 just skulls for euro mounts.

Congrats on such a fine bull.

My first of species, and a quaility old bull, he got shoulder mounted and I had the back skin tanned.

Now for what I plan to do with the back skin other than as a wall cover; that's a very good question. It's been nearly 7 years and 2 safaris later and I still haven't committed to any single special specific project for any of my various species (18?) back skins.

Please post what you used your back skin for as maybe I might consider do something similar to it.

Taxidermy can really only be decided by the individual. I get less and less taxidermy done with each trip and wish I would have saved the money on more than a few mounts now. If you plan on going back, I’d just get a euro mount. If it’s a once in a lifetime hunt or the animal is really special to you for whatever reason get a nice taxidermy mount. Speaking just about red hartebeest. I really think they are an underrated trophy. I don’t understand why more people don’t make them a priority. I got my first shoulder mounted. The next 3 just skulls for euro mounts.
Thank you. That is a struggle of mine too, is mount or money to help go back. I like the euro as much as the mount. I'm weird, I feel like a mount appreciates the animal more. I did say I am weird.

Curious help from those that like the red Hartebeest and have taken one.

In 2022 I made my first trip to Namibia. Red Hartebeest hit a nerve inside of me and just really like them so that was my tied wish list with Gemsbok.

Didn't see any gemsbok, but did take some great animals.
The Hartebeest bull I took had a floppy right ear which was fine by me, but my scenic route question is, what do most people do with them?
Shoulder mount? Euro? Did you tan the backskin and if so, what did you do with it?
Thanks for any advice.
Euro is unique and cheaper, but I'm on the fence with a shoulder mount .

View attachment 616725View attachment 616726
Skull mount for me. All my African animals are skulls. Even though my daughter and I run a taxidermy business, I prefer skulls. Actually, only one fur mount in the house is mine, a mule deer. Hartbeest skulls are quite interesting, long and thin.
20210819_160127.jpg

17196552309877669487659345260289.jpg

I agree with others that a hartebeest makes an interesting Euro mount. If you anticipate future space issues, it would be one of the first African species I would recommend for such treatment.

Lichtenstein on the left and red on the right.

hartebeest.jpg

I too fell in love with the red hartebeest. Took mine with a quartering away shot that ended in the offside shoulder.
1719658411875.png

We chose a more simple European mount for space considerations. If I had a true trophy room, it would have been a shoulder mount.
1719658537244.png

I agree they are too often overlooked for the quality of trophy they are. And great eating. I've taken two red Hartebeest and a couple real quality Lichtenstein's in Tanzania. The Tanzania taxidermy is tanned but not mounted yet and we have not decided what to do yet.

Here are the Reds.
20191225_235905.jpg
20190628_212545.jpg

My brother-in-law and I each took a red hartebeest bull within a minute or two of one another earlier this month. He got his and then another bull appeared. The PH asked if I wanted it and I said yes. I had just been walking along with the party so I used his rifle.

We both are having skull mounts done along with a flatskin for a rug.

His is on the left and mine is on the right.

Hartebeest.jpg

Congrats on such a fine bull.

My first of species, and a quaility old bull, he got shoulder mounted and I had the back skin tanned.

Now for what I plan to do with the back skin other than as a wall cover; that's a very good question. It's been nearly 7 years and 2 safaris later and I still haven't committed to any single special specific project for any of my various species (18?) back skins.

Please post what you used your back skin for as maybe I might consider do something similar to it.
Here's a wildebeest backskin.
20210912_143559.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
suminasharma

Latest profile posts

Bluecyclone wrote on LES7's profile.
Hello there,
Could you tell me if your model 70 has two recoil lugs? I have heard some of the super express rifles had one, while the safari express has two.
Thank you.
Brant.
Saddlemaker wrote on Drexel64742's profile.
Hi Drexel, Would like to purchase your brass , Would a business check be fine?
overunderranger wrote on Stamp Collector's profile.
I'm interested in the 28 gauge Ruger, if you still have it.
Tanner wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I’m blown away the rifle hasn’t sold. I will take it!
wolfhunter wrote on Mark haynes's profile.
I hunted with you a couple years back speedy goat with Don Lynch call me