Recommended gun

CarsonG

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I’m planning a trip to Africa this next year to do a non dangerous hunt. That being said, I would like to step up into the dangerous hunt category one of these days. I am going to get a new rifle but the options are endless .338, 416, 458…. What is a good, all around caliber that could do everything I need in Africa? Or is that too much to ask, and I need multiple rifles? Any suggestions

michael458 ?​

375 HH is world known as universal caliber from steenbok, to elephant.
Also, in most of the African countries it is legal minimum for DG.

338, is below legal minimum in some countries for DG.
416 is "overkill" for plains game, and 458 also.

So, 375 is for all, and almost no other is equal to it.
you can consider 375 Ruger, or 376 steyr, if that rifle will be easier to find.

2 Gun and 3 gun batteries:

if you want to do multiple safaris in the future, 2 gun battery may be considered.
From your choice of calibers: then 338 plus 416, or 338 plus 458 would be a good pair,.

3 gun battery
Bird hunting becomes very poplar in Africa, you may add a 12 GA, with above two gun battery, and you can hunt anything. Note, many rain forest duikers are as well hunted with shotgun, if you ever plan to hunt in the rain forest.

Neverthess, one gun rifle for all 4 legged game, is 375.

Me?
After 3 PG safaris, and one in future:
I stick to 375 for all, and dont plan any other mutliple rifles batteries.

Yep…

If you’re looking for 1 single gun/caliber for Southern Africa… there is no better choice than 375 H&H

I love my .340 Weatherby for plains game, but if I was wanting one cartridge for both plains game and dangerous game it would be the 375 HH.

However with already having the .340 I would step up to a 404 Jeffery if I would pick up a DG rifle.

What Seth and IvW said.

My 375H&H Winchester Safari Express in the Karoo and Caprivi below.

IMG_4452.jpg

IMG_0508.jpg

What caliber(s) of rifle(s) do you have now? What, if any, experience do you have shooting the big magnums?

Much of the African plains game can be successfully hunted with a 270/7mm/300, so you may not "need" a new rifle.

But since you are getting one anyway! 375 is a great choice. 235 Barnes can be very flat shooting and will take most game. The 250gr or 270gr will handle the really big plains game. Load it with 300gr for buffalo. Solids for elephant. Solids can work well on the tiny game, but your Creedmoor will be better.

Have fun and best of luck!

I’m planning a trip to Africa this next year to do a non dangerous hunt. That being said, I would like to step up into the dangerous hunt category one of these days. I am going to get a new rifle but the options are endless .338, 416, 458…. What is a good, all around caliber that could do everything I need in Africa? Or is that too much to ask, and I need multiple rifles? Any suggestions

michael458 ?​

375 H&H

I’ve used a variety of calibers in North America and Africa. My favorites are a 270 with 150 grain aframe and a 375HH with 300 grain aframe. I’m with @mark-hunter on just taking a 375 from now on. It is fun to buy new toys for upcoming hunts - good luck and let us know what you get

If ONE rifle for all, as others have said .375H&H will do it as it is the legal minimum at several African countries and good for PG within its distance limitations.

Then again, I am not a person that goes for the minimum. Once you go up to DG, your hunt will be in tens of thousands of dollars (with the exception of cattle in South Africa), so a gun specific for DG would not be too much of an extra cost in the great scheme of things.

I would recommend getting a .300 magnum of some sort (WM, RUM) now for PG. And getting a proper big bore in .4XX or larger for your DG when the time comes.

375 H&H is the rifle you need if you'll only have one rifle for all African game.
Will kill everything from Dik-Dik to Elephant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LouellaBal

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well
Looking for brass or reloads for 475noz2 Jefferies ammo. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Charles