Recommendations for a Rifle to Take to Africa?

ch_FM77

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have lingered here for quite some time now. Started an account when I was young and only dreamed of hunting in Africa someday. Still a dream, but a lot closer to reality now, thankfully. I would finally like to purchase a rifle that I could take to Africa someday in the next year or so. Would like to purchase a nice 375 H&H bolt gun. I had a childhood obsession with big doubles, but they are just way out of my price range. I know the easiest way would be a model 70, Ruger or find a used CZ. I have been spoiled for many years after looking at fine doubles and English made Magnum Mauser Actions and was curious if there were any classic Magnum Mauser Action rifles that could be found for under 10K these days? Or should I just go the Model 70 or Ruger route? Would appreciate any insight and advice.

Charles

Save your money and put it
Towards the hunt, If you’re just going for PG, I’m sure whatever you use for North America will take care of most of it. If you’re dead set on a 375 I’d say go Winchester as it is proven and reliable. If you go cz you’re most likely going to have to send it off somewhere to have work done to be reliable. I’d say save as much $ as you can and put it towards the hunt, it’s getting more and more expensive to bring your trophies back.

It will depend on the size of game you can afford to hunt.

Nothing wrong with a CZ. I've used one in .308W for general plains game and a 9.3x62 for larger plains game. They need a little tuning as the factory triggers can be rough and a bedding job.

There can be fantastic hunting with a 243W. You get a lot of hunting for a smaller outlay with the little fellas.

Make sure its a rifle you can shoot well and wont dominate you.

Hi All,

I have lingered here for quite some time now. Started an account when I was young and only dreamed of hunting in Africa someday. Still a dream, but a lot closer to reality now, thankfully. I would finally like to purchase a rifle that I could take to Africa someday in the next year or so. Would like to purchase a nice 375 H&H bolt gun. I had a childhood obsession with big doubles, but they are just way out of my price range. I know the easiest way would be a model 70, Ruger or find a used CZ. I have been spoiled for many years after looking at fine doubles and English made Magnum Mauser Actions and was curious if there were any classic Magnum Mauser Action rifles that could be found for under 10K these days? Or should I just go the Model 70 or Ruger route? Would appreciate any insight and advice.

Charles
Lots of magnum Mauser actions under 10K these days.

Here's a used Whitworth at GB for $1300, a "buy now." If you have the money and want a 375 H&H mag, get this one right now. It ain't a glitzy rifle by any stretch of the imagination, they just work, and do so without breaking the bank.

If you're willing to get in an auction, there are a bunch available at GB, too. Like a bunch of other guys here, I'm a CRF-kind-of-a-guy when it comes to DG calibers. You might not hunt buff this time or next, but 375 H&H is a do-all for everything you will ever hunt in Africa. 375 H&H and 9.3x62 ares to Africa what 30-06 is to North America.

The only caliber I'd take over a 375 H&H as a do-all is a 9.3x62 - a standard long action cartridge with a bit milder recoil.

Last edited:
Hi All,

Charles
If you want a new .375 H&H you're probably looking at a Model 70. Best order it soon though as there seems to be a 6 month waiting period. If you'd be happy with a used rifle, good .375s show up now and then. CZ and Whitworth are both good CRF Mauser actions, but you may want to make some modifications. I have had a Whitworth Express in .458 for many years and have had it glass bedded, Mag-Na-Ported and the trigger/safety mechanism replaced with a Timney trigger and Model 70 style safety. If your wish is to take plains game only you really won't need a .375 and any rifle suitable for deer and elk will work. You'll have to have one for buffalo and bigger. Personally, I can't bring myself to hunt Africa without any DG on the list. I mean, It's Africa!

If you want a new control round feed .375 Holland & Holland Magnum within your budget, the Winchester Model 70 Safari Express is the only candidate which I can think of.

On the secondhand market, the options are endless. My personal favorite would have to be the old Czech BRNO ZKK602.

If you want to go the custom route, I suggest finding a donor Pattern 14 Enfield action (these can make for excellent, affordable & strong Magnum length actions with a little bit of work). Have a competent gunsmith build you a .375 Holland & Holland Magnum on it with a Douglas Premium barrel and French walnut stock.

Last edited:
I had this same issue before going to Africa to hunt buffalo. Many folks told me to get a M70 375 and move on. That’s what I did and it’s a good working man’s rifle. Today since the M70 is hard to find in 375 h&h I would consider the 375 ruger since they are plentiful. I have no experience with the ruger in that caliber but I would definitely entertain it. Of course 375 ruger ammo could be difficult to find if the airline loses the ammo. Just my opinion of course. If money is no object I’d go with Rigby or Heym.

I had several nice plains game safaris before I went dangerous game. 30-06 is all you’ll need. Unless you bite off a buffalo on the first trip.

Your question is that you want us to recommend a rifle to take to Africa but you don't tell us what you have in your arsenal now.

If dangerous game is on the menu for your first trip then by all means find a 375 to purchase. But if you are just chasing plains game then quite possibly you already have a rifle that will fit the bill for them. Then you can take your time looking for a 375 that you really like to take for dangerous game.

What do you already have and what do you plan to hunt?

I’m sure I would be happy with a Winchester 70. The dream would be an old Magnum Mauser action by Rigby, but I don’t see the happening anytime soon. Would like to take a buffalo at some day, but interestingly enough the goal would be a hippo and plains game the first go around. The Winchester 70 would at least let me spend more on game vs something more expensive like rigby. A pre-64 375 H&H would probably be the ticket. I am not into new rifles, necessarily. Prefer older. Just my taste. I could still use a 375 for elk, black bear and moose here in the states as well. Thank you for for the insights so far, gentlemen. Much appreciated.

Charles

I only have a few shotguns and a 300 win mag in my arsenal at the moment. The goal would be a hippo and plains game the first time around.

Charles

The 300 would be great for all plains game (with a proper bullet, obviously).

Nothing wrong with wanting a quality mid bore of your very own for the bigger things.

If your budget is $10,000 for a rifle, you can buy a nice 375 or 9.3x74 double rifle. My last two trips have been with a double and i loved hunting with it.

Roll with something reasonably priced that is functional. Put the difference towards hunting. Invest in the experience first.

I have a model 700 ks, gasp…. A push feed…375 that has killed hundreds of plains game animals, dozens of buff, a few ele, and it’s fair share of cats. It’s been passed around like a bottle of crown between friends and family.

If I was in your position I would probably buy a Ruger or Winchester.

While it may be nice to have a 9.3x62 look at ammo availability for it.

AA rifle is just a club if you don't have ammo for it.

Charles have you considered just using the outfitters rifle? When I went i used a rifle that they had and it worked well for my PG hunt. Some will let you use their rifle at a minimal charge or no charge at all. One less expense and most have good quality rifles, ammo and optics.

Dry land hippo is a bit of a different ball game than hunting them in water. For the latter, you're going for a brain shot; for the former, you're probably going for heart-lung and you'll definitely want something bigger than your 300 WM.

Before you get too far into this, you need to find some outfitters and talk to them about what you want to do, and what you have to do it with. Your 300 WM is more than enough for anything up to eland and giraffe. For dry land hippo, it's a non-starter; and a definite maybe for sitting in a blind and brain-shooting them in water.

Do you hunt now? If so, what rifle are you using?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xctrweyt5635

Latest profile posts

TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!
TAG SAFARI wrote on K31's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on davidg8480's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on Daven22s's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on bobdahunter84's profile.