Rebuilding The Bosses On A Buffalo

Unless they are of some "non-typical configuration" reedbuck and waterbuck horns will slip off the bone cores, which as previously stated allows for good clean-up & sterilization and no need for sealing around the horn bases when they are re-installed.
Thanks, nice to know what to expect even before Xmas morning arrives.

Mark

I have one more step but just realized I don't have the pictures handy. I'll get some in a couple hours. I ended up lightening up my final color some more by adding another layer of my grey dirt and matte spray.
Buck Wild, Our Euro mounted buffalo heads should arrive next week. I want to hang one outside above my front door. Is there anything I can use to help protect it from the elements. I live the in Adirondack Mountains near the Canadian border. We have severe winters and mild summers with lots rain and snow.

5EF9E75E-0B55-4F3F-A93C-77C59B7A8437_1_201_a.jpeg

@Fred Gunner I’m afraid there isn’t much you can do to protect any horns once they are exposed to the elements short of ruining them anyway trying.

@buck wild - thanks for the tutorial. I will have to try this at some point in the future for an authentic looking finish as opposed to the polished look.

Thank you very much for going to the trouble to post this info, just great !

I have a LOT of skulls & horns to fix up, not sure I will get them done before I pass myself ?

For bug proofing between horn and core, I use the residential Ortho bug stop liquid. There are other brands.
I use a silicon mold I made of existing horn texture and press into the soft bondo mixture. Spray the mold with silicone spray.
I also use the 2 part foam to fill the space between the horn and core.
The beeswax process I may try.

For bug proofing between horn and core, I use the residential Ortho bug stop liquid. There are other brands.
I use a silicon mold I made of existing horn texture and press into the soft bondo mixture. Spray the mold with silicone spray.
I also use the 2 part foam to fill the space between the horn and core.
The beeswax process I may try.
I like the bug killer liquid instead of the "liquid Borax". That makes perfect sense. I will try that. Thanks for chiming in. I use silicone molds for the smaller horned stuff as covered in the previous article that I referenced. I'm hoping the DIY guys can give fixing their horns a shot without getting too complicated :)

Nice ! looks good. Similar to how we do it.
Shinny horns suck and you see a ton of them from Africa when they get here.

Buck wild, thank you very informative.

As for leaving skulls and horns outside in the weather you could use a clear Wood Oil preservative it will pull into the horns and will repel water and UV only to be treated once a year. On the skull you could seal it with a clear coat of epoxy that doesnt have a hig gloss finish.

Buck wild, thank you very informative.

As for leaving skulls and horns outside in the weather you could use a clear Wood Oil preservative it will pull into the horns and will repel water and UV only to be treated once a year. On the skull you could seal it with a clear coat of epoxy that doesnt have a hig gloss finish.
Hey Fredirik- the epoxy suggestion did cross my mind as a potential answer for FredGunner but that was why I said "nothing I could think of that wouldn't ruin the horns in trying". Once that epoxy is applied, there's no going back :) I don't have any experience with the Wood Oil preservative.
Thanks for chiming in.

Buck Wild, Our Euro mounted buffalo heads should arrive next week. I want to hang one outside above my front door. Is there anything I can use to help protect it from the elements. I live the in Adirondack Mountains near the Canadian border. We have severe winters and mild summers with lots rain and snow.

View attachment 457917
Fred, were the bosses on this buffalo rebuilt? Do you have a picture from the front? Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thanpan

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia