Re-Barrel a .30-06 to ??

Fatback

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
I was able to get a Ruger M77 Mark II in 30-06 today at a good price. Wood stock and blued barrel. Thing is I already have a
30-06 so I bought this rifle with the intention of possibly having it re-barreled to another caliber. I’ve got a couple of different ideas but nothing that really stands out to me and wanted to get some thoughts from some of y’all who are much more versed and experienced in such matters. I have rifles chambered in .270 win, 300 win mag, 375 H&H so take that into consideration when offering suggestions on possible re- barrel calibers. I’d primarily be using this rifle to hunt deer and pigs here at home and possibly PG in Africa. Looking forward to hearing some thoughts from y’all. Thanks.

I'd go for a 25-06.

I thought about doing it to a old 30-06 that was given to me by a uncle but never did, 45 years later I bought one and wish that I had done it sooner.

280 AI or 35 Whelan.

Pretty simple: 35 Whelen - the mag geometry is the same so will work fine.

tagging @Bob Nelson 35Whelen so he can agree ;-)
@baxterb
100% correct. Just screw in a new barrel and go have fun.
A 35 cal 225gn accubond at 2,800 to 2,900fps will put a big hurt on critters along ways out without pounding the shit out of you.
Bob

I was able to get a Ruger M77 Mark II in 30-06 today at a good price. Wood stock and blued barrel. Thing is I already have a
30-06 so I bought this rifle with the intention of possibly having it re-barreled to another caliber. I’ve got a couple of different ideas but nothing that really stands out to me and wanted to get some thoughts from some of y’all who are much more versed and experienced in such matters. I have rifles chambered in .270 win, 300 win mag, 375 H&H so take that into consideration when offering suggestions on possible re- barrel calibers. I’d primarily be using this rifle to hunt deer and pigs here at home and possibly PG in Africa. Looking forward to hearing some thoughts from y’all. Thanks.
@Fatback
Forget the 270.
300 win mag will need bolt face alterd and new mag follower.
375H&H action alterations for lenght, mag alterations and open up the bolt face.

NOW 35 WHELEN new barrel and go hunt. Devastating on game performance. Can be loaded to give 4,300fpe of muzzle energy, 2,900fps and 225gr bullet. Good for 400+ yards. Will take any plains game including eland and giraffe.
Can be loaded with bullets from 158gn for play up to 310gn for bone smashing power.
Bob

I’ll be that guy, shoot it like it is. Use 220s if you want more poop.
@Wyatt Smith
The old American saying
" ain't nothing 700 dollars worth of thirty ought six won't take care of."
But where's the fun in that.
Bob

I'd go for a 25-06.

I thought about doing it to a old 30-06 that was given to me by a uncle but never did, 45 years later I bought one and wish that I had done it sooner.
@JimP
Love a fast 25. They kill out of all proportions and do it a long ways out.
Bob

Use math to solve the sweats, frets and remove the burden of choice.
300 + 375 = 675.
675/2 = 337.5 ~ 338
Therefore the perfect cartridge to the fill the gap would be the 338-06. :)

Appreciate the input. I’ve been considering the 25-06 or the 9.3x62. The 35 Whelen seems like a good choice to consider as well. As far as leaving it a 30-06, I’ve already have one that I enjoy and shoot well so just looking to expand my cartridge horizons. Keep the recommendations coming. Also, I don’t re-load so I do have to consider the availability of factory loaded ammo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseannVal

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt