RB Rodda .577 BPE

Good point I did just order a lot of Dacron.... And stay away from that Morphy's auction house they are evil. Probably going to take more of my money on some Swedish K mag pouches and some other NFA stuff in the next two auctions. Evil. Its like it is an addiction.

Attachments

Good point I did just order a lot of Dacron.... And stay away from that Morphy's auction house they are evil. Probably going to take more of my money on some Swedish K mag pouches and some other NFA stuff in the next two auctions. Evil. Its like it is an addiction.
I would try 5/8” backer rod in a 577.
It’s so easy to use.

Backer rod ?
Agree. Would like to hear specifics. I don't like to guess with this stuff as I don't want either large air spaces (where powder could come too far forward rather than the "air" in there) or compressed loads.

Backer Rod is a long cylindrical foam rope used for sealing air gaps around window cases and doors - that kind of thing.
It is a compressible closed cell foam which just happens to be perfect for the reloading purpose we are talking about. Comes in three or four diameters and it’s CHEAP.
I used to measure and cut the foam to fit from the powder column to the bottom of the bullet but now just twist the foam into the case on top of the powder and scissor it off at the case mouth. Seating the bullet just compresses it a bit so it’s a pretty quick step.
Kynoch sells similar foam cylinders but of course it has a very Kynoch price and is functionally no different.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/M-D-Bui...od-for-Medium-Gaps-and-Joints-71480/202066515

just happens to be perfect for the reloading purpose we are talking about. Comes in three or four diameters and it’s CHEAP.

That's a pretty slick solution to the problem of small powder charges shifting in the case. I misplaced my Dacron during one reloading session for my .577. I used toilet paper over the powder charge and it did NOT do a good job of keeping the powder up against the primer. I had several hang fires, or complete failures to fire.

I'll look into this backer rod, for sure. Thanks for the tip!

Ed Z

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MelvinAlco

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well