RB Rodda .577 BPE

Zinz

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Anyone here on AH get this good looking hammergun?

1722212143888.png

Attachments

I have 3 concerns:

1) right side lock plate looks like it is split.
2) both sides of stock looks split/ cracked
3) middle of right barrel, forward of sling mount, is discolored, possibly from a heavy charge/ stressed.

Otherwise a beautiful rifle.

Not that one but I have a really nice RB Rodda .577 BPE double cased with mould, tools, etc. That one looks like it might have some issues as stated.

From what I can tell from the pictures, it looks like the gun was restored at some point. The blemishes are likely places where more severe corrosion was removed.

New member here. I am the one that picked it up, my thoughts from comparing the pictures that it was a combo of bad shadows and refinishing. I guess we will see. I am relatively certain that the locks and stock are not split. As for the right barrel being stressed we will see. I wanted a "smaller" reloading project before I start working up some loads for the E.M. Reilly eight bore I am trying to get back up and going.

The lock is definitely not split and I agree there is nothing worrisome about the barrel.
The grip does show discoloration through the checkering on the right and some zig-zagging on the left just where one would expect a break in guns of this type - right in the tang screw area.
Unfortunately, they don't show a view of wood fit along the top or bottom tangs where a crack is much more difficult to conceal than through the checkering.

New member here. I am the one that picked it up, my thoughts from comparing the pictures that it was a combo of bad shadows and refinishing. I guess we will see. I am relatively certain that the locks and stock are not split. As for the right barrel being stressed we will see. I wanted a "smaller" reloading project before I start working up some loads for the E.M. Reilly eight bore I am trying to get back up and going.

Welcome aboard! Let us know how the projects are going. I shoot 12 bores and there is at least one 8 bore user here. 10 bore is next on my list.

I wanted a "smaller" reloading project

Congratulations on a beautiful rifle! I'm sure it will give you good service. Be sure to check which chamber you have; they came in 2 3/4" and 3". The 3" chamber is preferable as it matches the .577NE brass that is available.

After I got my Adams & Co. .577BPE, I reached out to big double afficionado, Cal Pappas up in Alaska. He hooked me up with some brass, bullets, and a load recipe.

Cal wrote to me:
"The load that will work in your rifle is 40% of the original black powder load using IMR 4198.
I would guess your rifle will shoot fine with 60-65 grains of 4198, a pinch of kapok pillow stuffing to keep the powder next to the primer, a rifle magnum primer, and a bullet of <600 grains.'

I found my rifle shoots well with 650 grain Woodleigh softs and 65 grains of IMR 4198 topped off with a tuft of Dacron pillow ticking. Cal got me some of his 590gr cast bullets and they shot just as well as the Woodleighs.

I worked up from 60 grains of IMR4198. My particular rifle is fairly light for caliber at 9 1/2 pounds. Those initial loads are easy to shoot with light recoil, but didn't regulate well. Rounds from each barrel landed on the same plane, but 5 inches apart. As velocity increased, that distance decreased to a respectable spread at 50 yards. Full power loads are not uncomfortable, but you do need to be hanging on when the hammer falls :)

Hope you are able to get your Rodda running soon. Availability of brass, bullets, and dies will be a challenge...

My .577

0AD47179-7B71-4DC3-B351-052AC3AF23FD.jpeg
ED4BB3FD-CF3D-428C-9207-0609567838BD.jpeg

Ed Z

Attachments

• B2D96263-AAB1-4EDF-8FF1-38D69A01F803.jpeg
    B2D96263-AAB1-4EDF-8FF1-38D69A01F803.jpeg
    696 KB · Views: 2
These rifles are so beautiful.
It is sad that most rifles being made today are such gadgety gimmick eye sores.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Baobabs

Latest profile posts

1000009202.jpg
1000009102.jpg
1000008936.jpg
1000008850.jpg
1000008747.jpg
It's been a great Safari here in Zambia with Mbizi Safaris so far!! Heading out to the Kafue Flats tomorrow for Lechwe