Rate the C-H Tool & Die set (404J)

Creigh

AH member
Reaction score
Hunted
South Africa
Did a quick search, nothing came up.

What's the quality like from C-H Tool & Die? 404J Dies are not sitting on the rack in gun stores here. Came across this one which I now have on loan, wondering if I should stick with the brand or not.

I'm surprised at the inclusion of a flaring die. I would have thought the first fire would have taken care of the mouth geometry.
20240124_193501.jpg

I managed to get a hold of Hornady cases, a bunch new and some once fired. They looked in good condition so i bought everything he had. Believe me I am relieved, started to thing I'd have to by rounds from the 70s.

C&H is good stuff. Long time out of business now but top notch quality. On par with Redding or Forster today VS Lee or RCBS if you have the chance to get them at a good price don't hesitate
Fantastic to hear.

C&H is good stuff. Long time out of business now but top notch quality. On par with Redding or Forster today VS Lee or RCBS if you have the chance to get them at a good price don't hesitate
They are definitely not out of business.

I think you have them confused with some other company. Quality is great, but the rumor of their demise has been greatly exaggerated. :)

I think you have them confused with some other company. Quality is great, but the rumor of their demise has been greatly exaggerated. :)
You may well be right. I found a domain name for them and a active website.

So I guess I'm wrong they're still in business but my experience over the years has they have been off and on. I remember a year or two ago they were offline now seems they are back. They have changed owners 4 times and seems to be out of stock on most of not all there products. But I may be wrong about that as well. They don't see to sell anywhere else as well, like midway or Brownells but I could be wrong about that as well also. The picture of the dies you posted seem to be vintage so as a situation I was referring to your question is this a good die set ? My opinion was stated and in the order of my recollection I assumed this situation was correct that the people who made these dies in question are long gone. But I may be wrong.

So I guess I'm wrong they're still in business but my experience over the years has they have been off and on. I remember a year or two ago they were offline now seems they are back. They have changed owners 4 times and seems to be out of stock on most of not all there products. But I may be wrong about that as well. They don't see to sell anywhere else as well, like midway or Brownells but I could be wrong about that as well also. The picture of the dies you posted seem to be vintage so as a situation I was referring to your question is this a good die set ? My opinion was stated and in the order of my recollection I assumed this situation was correct that the people who made these dies in question are long gone. But I may be wrong.
They are a fairly small shop and don’t produce a lot of dies to have in inventory. Their niche has been wildcat and uncommon calibers built as ordered.

They are a fairly small shop and don’t produce a lot of dies to have in inventory. Their niche has been wildcat and uncommon calibers built as ordered.

IMG_6222.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
No harm done, it's all good. I was just happy to hear they had a good reputation. I have in the past *cough* "welded" a case to the inside of die. Wanted to know I had something good to work with here.

Good stuff....
20240125_204612.jpg

HWL

I have a set of 404J dies from CH4D. Good quality. Tolerances are good.

I’ve used a set of C&H dies in 243 for probably 50 years. Still working.

I have a set of their dies for my 404J that I bought second hand online. Ordered decapping pin and rod from them last summer. Had the stuff within a couple of days.

Buffalo Arms stock some CH4D.

C&H was from my home town. Owen Wisconsin. That shop is closed. They produced all calibers
The one in OH may have bought them out, not sure about that.

They were revising their website the last time that I checked, so ordering was by phone. As mentioned earlier, they manufacture a batch when there are sufficient orders rather than keep a lot of different calibers in stock. I ordered several dies from them last year; what they had in stock arrived quickly but what they did not have in stock is still on back-order. Definitely good quality though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wapiti86

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with