Rare/expensive plains game species

Not sure of details on cost etc, but ito rarity what about Sitatunga?

Sitatunga is about comparable to Bongo. It just isn't as pretty (opinion, I know) so probably a bit less in demand. Same area, same restrictions on permits as far as I know.

There’s some rarer subspecies of bushbuck. Like the Menelik bushbuck

And there’s that one sup species of sitatunga that lives on one island in Uganda(I can’t remember the name)

There’s some rarer subspecies of bushbuck. Like the Menelik bushbuck

And there’s that one sup species of sitatunga that lives on one island in Uganda(I can’t remember the name)
Its called Island (Sesse) Sitatunga , all of the Sitatunga are cool, the Forest Sitatunga is my favorite !

IMG_3308.jpeg

I am still very pleased and grateful with the male forest sitatunga we killed in May 2024 in the jungles of southeast Cameroon. They get bigger horns than this male but they are extremely shy and difficult to hunt. Some people call them “forest ghosts” or “forest fairies” because they are so elusive and secretive.

We saw a couple of female sitatunga in the jungle also with tan hides instead of the dark chocolate hides like the males. I would also agree that the sitatunga are not as pretty or striking as bongo in the forest. Happy hunting, TheGrayRider a/k/a Tom.

IMG_3310.jpeg

Not to take this thread off topic, but does anyone know why lesser kudu haven’t been introduced to SA high-fence ranches? I’ve never seen one on any list of available species in any brochure. It’s an idle question because I plan to hunt them in massai land someday. Just curious about why there don’t seem to be any on offer. One would think they could charge a hefty fee.
I’ve always wondered the same about sitatunga and bongo as well, you can buy either in Texas. I do think it would cheapen the experience of hunting either in their native countries/habitat.

I’ve always wondered the same about sitatunga and bongo as well, you can buy either in Texas. I do think it would cheapen the experience of hunting either in their native countries/habitat.
I agree that it would cheapen the experience. I’ve always tried to hunt game in their native habitat when that’s possible. I’ve hunted Oudad, Scimitar Oryx and Axis Deer in Texas, because they aren’t available in their native range. I plan on hunting black buck in Texas someday for the same reason. However, there seems to be plenty of demand for game like Bongo, Lesser Kudu, etc. and I think it’s curious that they aren’t available in SA.

I always look at historical range maps when booking a hunt in RSA, I will pick my wish list from these maps as much as possible, many times this makes them a little more expensive but that’s something I just deal with.

I always look at historical range maps when booking a hunt in RSA, I will pick my wish list from these maps as much as possible, many times this makes them a little more expensive but that’s something I just deal with.
I would think it would be the opposite.

IE : oryx are more expensive in Limpopo or EC than in far west SA in Kalahari (their historical range). Sable cheaper in Limpopo than in non native Kalahari ect ect,

Many factors of course and not just that simple. But I’m open to hearing what species are more expensive in their native range you have found compared to not.

Best

I would think it would be the opposite.

IE : oryx are more expensive in Limpopo or EC than in far west SA in Kalahari (their historical range). Sable cheaper in Limpopo than in non native Kalahari ect ect,

Many factors of course and not just that simple. But I’m open to hearing what species are more expensive in their native range you have found compared to not.

Best
Sometimes it is less expensive but I was mainly referencing tsessebe and roan. Very limited range in northern South Africa and pretty expensive. Lechwe in South Africa are a good example of less expensive than in their native range. At least at the places I’ve been.

Sometimes it is less expensive but I was mainly referencing tsessebe and roan. Very limited range in northern South Africa and pretty expensive. Lechwe in South Africa are a good example of less expensive than in their native range. At least at the places I’ve been.
I see what you mean now. Thank ya sir!

I’ve hunted Oudad, Scimitar Oryx and Axis Deer in Texas, because they aren’t available in their native range
Ouadad is available in Morocco in their native range. Until very recently also in Sudan but because of the war (again) currently no hunting. Axis deer can be hunted in Pakistan in their native range.

Ouadad is available in Morocco in their native range. Until very recently also in Sudan but because of the war (again) currently no hunting. Axis deer can be hunted in Pakistan in their native range.
Aoudad yes.

And to add - black buck can also be hunted in Pakistan, Nilgai too!

As a Texan who hunts these regularly in my home state it would be awesome to get to Pakistan and take them there. A dream

@dchum one day I want a decent shikar in Pakistan. Hunting nilgai, water buffalo, axis and hog deer. You have to have dreams as a hunter.
Edit: and a blackbuck of course

@dchum one day I want a decent shikar in Pakistan. Hunting nilgai, water buffalo, axis and hog deer. You have to have dreams as a hunter.
Edit: and a blackbuck of course
I hope we both make it happen in our lives.

Dreams come true once in a blue moon

It will definitely be cheaper on a 2x1 basis :ROFLMAO:

Good to know! However, I'm not going to hunt in Morocco, Sudan or Pakistan for any critters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BusterKrus