Rare/expensive plains game species

LimbNoMo

Reaction score
What are some of the rarer or more expensive plains game trophies for someone to hunt?

The list seems to start with Lord Derby Eland, Bongo, and Sitatunga but beyond expensive I was also thinking species that are rare due to opportunity, location, or regulation.

Thank you all.

What are some of the rarer or more expensive plains game trophies for someone to hunt?

The list seems to start with Lord Derby Eland, Bongo, and Sitatunga but beyond expensive I was also thinking species that are rare due to opportunity, location, or regulation.

Thank you all.
Mountain Nyala actually beats all of them in terms of opportunity and cost I believe.

Can only be done in Ethiopia -
I am just speaking from second hand knowledge.

Some members here have been there done that on all of them and might chime in.

Mountain nyala.
Some duikers, like zebra duiker, comes to mind.

Sorry, sable are not rare and not that expensive any longer. I got my 42" sable 5 years ago for $2950 including daily rates. A roan is rarer and more expensive but for the most part, anything in South Africa on plains game isn't really hard to get to and thus not really rare in regards to PG.

Ethiopia is more of the North American model for their conservation. You don't have private ownership and you pay for the tag and then go out and hunt your animal, as opposed to much of the rest of Africa where you pay for the tag if you harvest your animal. For this reason, animals like a Menelik bushbuck would be quite rare. Also getting a specific forest duiker would likely be hard, as opposed to just any forest duiker that came along.

Not plains game per se, but a striped hyena would be rare. Your waterbuck that are not common ones, like the Sing-sin or any of the defassa ones, North African animals like a Sahara or an Egyptian Dorcas gazelle, Barbary sheep in native habitat, etc would also be quite rare animals to get.

ROAN------>Free Range----->Expensive

I Have only seen one Beria or Dibatag taken recently. Both are available in Somaliland but i don'tknow anythingabout logistics there. No one has taken a Hirola since the early 80's and I doubt it will ever be on license again. A couple of western mountain Reedbuck were on license in the 90's in Cameron but not since. And last, pygmy hippo, probably less than a dozen taken by modern sport hunters. Liberia always sounds like such a gamble anyway...

Rare and expensive are not necessarily correlated. There are some very limited quotas for something like a Chandler's Mountain Reedbuck (I hunted 1 in Uganda) but the trophy wasn't itself very expensive. The Sudan Roan I hunted on that trip was a different story - that qualified as both rare and expensive. Both worth it, IMO.

I also have thoughts on a Kirk's dik-dik (Tanzania) and the real costs there is the Tanzanian day rates, not the fees for a dik-dik itself. The Gerenuk (at $7,000) and the Lesser Kudu ($7,000) while much pricier are not 'more rare.' I should add that the Lesser Kudu is both a dream hunt of mine, and the most beautiful of the African PG animals.

Not often talked about is hunting Aoudad in their native habitat in Morocco, which is all at once rare, very cool, and expensive.

I would add some of the damaliscs such as Topi, Korrigum and even Tsessebbe when hunted in Zambia, to the rare'ish list.

Many of the forest duikers, like those mentioned by @mark-hunter are also rare and by virtue of being in the forests of Cameroon, CAR and Liberia - are rare and pricy. Again, its less the trophy fees and more the day rates and other stuff you would be hunting, like Bongo and the forest buffalo, forest elephant or sitatunga that drives the cost.

Western Greater Kudu in Chad would also meet both criteria as both rare and expensive.

There are a lot of less beaten paths in Africa, full of some very cool animals. I say, chase them all!

I would love to hunt western Kudu in Chad.

And as mentioned Giant Forrest hog in jungle.

Both can be done with Christophe Morio
I met him at DSC and we talked for an hour. He is an amazing French hunter and PH

On a side track - anyone know or have words on why the French seem so passionate about hunting and especially far reach places? I love the French hunting culture

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RaquelMart

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?