Rand Hat Color

Any hat colors to be avoided in Africa? i guess White, light colors and natural straw.

I've seen Akubra mentioned here. I've seen some Stetson hats in a store in Australia and they wore a premium price.

The Green Rand hats shown look good.

I used an Akubra "Snowy River" as a teenager but my last few have been Akubra ""Cattleman" not bespoke but of high quality and highly regarded in Australia and known the world over.

My preference of the Sand colour is not ideal for hunting

Would still wear a Pithy for Africa or even dress the part for Scotland if I ever have the chance. On second thoughts I will wear the tweed not the Kilt. But when in Rome,
Drink the scotch if it's Scotland

Though not much of a hat guy these days, my Father always hunted big game in his Stetson Open Roads.... Here he is in the late 50"s hunting BC packing his 300H&H
IMG_1284.jpeg

Wife and I really like Stetson hats, thanks for the video @Pheroze. We were asked by our safari operator not to bring them to RSA because they attract too much (potentially negative) attention. We did as they wished and used boonie hats for our hunt. Also like to break out the Filson Packer hat.
1696156425722.png

Very nice hats, Gentlemen
For me it's way to complicated to order a hat in Montana.
Therefore I use Austrian handmade quality
or
and many more little companies especially in "Ausseer Land"...
Not to forget our friendly neighbours, the Bavarians:
That are three addresses in central Europe where you won't be disappointed...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-02 at 6.35.06 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-10-02 at 6.35.06 AM Large.jpeg
    162.6 KB · Views: 43
  • Screenshot 2023-10-02 at 6.35.07 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-10-02 at 6.35.07 AM Large.jpeg
    146.3 KB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot 2023-10-02 at 6.35.09 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-10-02 at 6.35.09 AM Large.jpeg
    113.9 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot 2023-10-02 at 6.35.17 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-10-02 at 6.35.17 AM Large.jpeg
    130.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot 2023-10-02 at 6.35.31 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-10-02 at 6.35.31 AM Large.jpeg
    117.3 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot 2023-10-02 at 6.35.33 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-10-02 at 6.35.33 AM Large.jpeg
    151.4 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot 2023-10-02 at 6.35.34 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-10-02 at 6.35.34 AM Large.jpeg
    135.6 KB · Views: 37
  • Screenshot 2023-10-02 at 6.35.37 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-10-02 at 6.35.37 AM Large.jpeg
    124.2 KB · Views: 38
Last edited by a moderator:
If I come home with one more hat, I truly believe my wife is going to brain me with a cast iron pan. I can't tell you how many times I've heard "how many heads do you have that it requires THIS many hats"?

Can't wait to see the look on her face when she sees this show up on Thursday. :cool:
1696173362078.png

If I come home with one more hat, I truly believe my wife is going to brain me with a cast iron pan. I can't tell you how many times I've heard "how many heads do you have that it requires THIS many hats"?

Can't wait to see the look on her face when she sees this show up on Thursday. :cool:
View attachment 560951
Well I don't know how many pairs of shoes your wife owns. Maybe you could ask her the same question with her feet :) (while still speaking to her please remember to leave the building as fast as you can)

Though not much of a hat guy these days, my Father always hunted big game in his Stetson Open Roads.... Here he is in the late 50"s hunting BC packing his 300H&HView attachment 560916
Bat wing chaps were a good choice but the leather looks a bit on the heavy side. Bat wing style breathes better. Mine were split cowhide and I loved them. I could ride all day in those things. Didn't shed water well but I had rain gear for that. Shotgun style chaps are for rodeo clowns.

I've seen Akubra mentioned here. I've seen some Stetson hats in a store in Australia and they wore a premium price.

I used an Akubra "Snowy River" as a teenager but my last few have been Akubra ""Cattleman" not bespoke but of high quality and highly regarded in Australia and known the world over.

Would still wear a Pithy for Africa or even dress the part for Scotland if I ever have the chance. On second thoughts I will wear the tweed not the Kilt. But when in Rome,
Just returned from Scotland, only regret is I didn’t take my pithy, would have gone well with the tweeds.

Just returned from Scotland, only regret is that I didn’t take the pithy, would have gone well with the tweeds.
BA1A0D9C-96A1-4B99-B494-4F422204F8F6.jpeg

@Kevin Peacocke , you look the part and even managed another plug for your beloved Land Rovers.

@Kevin Peacocke , you look the part and even managed another plug for your beloved Land Rovers.
Yes, they are sought after up there, they get the job done and the big wheels handle the terrain. The Scottish highlands are great, what a trip this was. I’ll be writing it up soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xoso66reisen

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?