YancyW

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, SCI, RMEF, Ducks Unlimited
I have several Rand hats, all of them are fantastic , but like guns and watches, I never get enough. I am having them do another Safari style hat, but I am not locked in on a color, does anyone here have one of their hats in the moss green color. If so, do you like it and could you please posts some photos? Thank you

Hi Yancy, my best hat so far is this Akubra, apart from my pith helmet that is! This has a hint of green, but I think a dark moss green would be great.
0FEBF6E7-BD2A-4AB6-BE24-79B9C7F0DF9D.jpeg

I have a couple of Akubra, they are both outstanding quality, I am interested in getting a Rand Hat, as well seeing one in the moss green as well, my Akubras are snowy river style, I was looking at getting an Akubra in the banjo Paterson style as my next one in that very same color that you have Kevin.

Yes I do! And a Rand is the best hat on the planet. They are indeed like fine gun - after all, they are bespoke! Will post photos of the moss green when I get to a computer. I hunt in it regularly.

I have the "Low Safari" style in Moss green. I think the color is about perfect for a fine hunting hat. When I received mine, I took it to a local cowboy hat maker and had him slightly alter the shape to my liking.

1660414468387.jpeg

I have the "Low Safari" style in Moss green. I think the color is about perfect for a fine hunting hat. When I received mine, I took it to a local cowboy hat maker and had him slightly alter the shape to my liking.

View attachment 482789
That braided rawhide band is a work of art, really a topnotch finish for a fine hat.

Just to add more to the service Rand's provides, I couple years ago my Mom gave me a photo of my Grandfather working on the family ranch in Nebraska, we think it was taken around 1928-29 timeframe. I took that photo and another from around the same time, and sent them to Rand's asking if they could recreate his hat for me.

They were genuinely excited to do it, they asked several follow up questions, and in 6 months or so, I had something that is a close to having his old hat as possible.

Yes I do! And a Rand is the best hat on the planet. They are indeed like fine gun - after all, they are bespoke! Will post photos of the moss green when I get to a computer. I hunt in it regularly.
Ok, here is the moss green. I have four in all by Rand, and love them. Naturally, the fit is perfect. And you have excellent taste @375 Ruger Fan!

hat1.jpg

hat2.JPG

Two other superb custom hat makers are Nathaniel's in Georgetown, Texas and Baron Hats in Burbank, CA (of all places). They built Robert Redford's for "Out of Africa."

I don't look much like Redford, and preferred a leather band rather than than his cloth Puggaree. They were surprisingly excited when I told them I planned to wear it hunting in East Africa. It was a really muddy day in Coutada 14 (and no, that is not an "African" carry, and both rifles were cleared before starting across the slough). ;)

hat4.JPG

But a Rand is my favorite.

That braided rawhide band is a work of art, really a topnotch finish for a fine hat.
Thanks! I do get a lot of compliments on both the hat and the band, also asked where I got the hat. I figured as much as I've elk hunted in Montana over the years, I needed a locally made hat.

Ok, here is the moss green. I have four in all by Rand, and love them. Naturally, the fit is perfect. And you have excellent taste @375 Ruger Fan!

View attachment 482833

View attachment 482834

Two other superb custom hat makers are Nathaniel's in Georgetown, Texas and Baron Hats in Burbank, CA (of all places). They built Robert Redford's for "Out of Africa."

I don't look much like Redford, and preferred a leather band rather than than his cloth Puggaree. They were surprisingly excited when I told them I planned to wear it hunting in East Africa. It was a really muddy day in Coutada 14 (and no, that is not an "African" carry, and both rifles were cleared before starting across the slough). ;)

View attachment 482838

But a Rand is my favorite.

I think the green looks good, I was worried it was a little too bright, but I like the look.

Baron's has a hat that is a copy of the hat Sean Connery wore in the movie League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, I fully admit it is a corny movie, but I do really love the hat, I may have to end up with one at some point.

In the first photo, is that a low safari from Rand?

Last edited:
Not familiar with this brand. I have a couple of nice Stetson Fedora's that I like though. One style is called the Downs in graphite (brown), that is very much Bogie style.
The other is called the Temple, bit more brim, different crown in sage.
My old safari hat in my avatar pic is a Banana Republic fur felt that I still have. The Stetson's are fur felt as well.

I think the green looks good, I was worried it was a little too bright, but I like the look.

Baron's has a hat that is a copy of the hat Sean Connery wore in the movie League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, I fully admit it is a corny movie, but I do really love the hat, I may have to end up with one at some point.

In the first photo, is that a low safari from Rand?

Yes. I ordered it from him at SCI a decade or more ago. At the time, I had a couple of his traditional hats, but wanted something softer that would travel easier. He suggested this one, and I really liked the moss green color. I would actually describe the color as loden.

And I may have to check with Baron's about that "extraordinary" hat! :oops:

Not familiar with this brand. I have a couple of nice Stetson Fedora's that I like though. One style is called the Downs in graphite (brown), that is very much Bogie style.
The other is called the Temple, bit more brim, different crown in sage.
My old safari hat in my avatar pic is a Banana Republic fur felt that I still have. The Stetson's are fur felt as well.
The only brimmed hat worth owning is made from fur rather than wool felt. :A Way To Go: The best of those are made from quality beaver.

To add to the beaver over wool felt, don't be fooled by the X rating on hats. A 10x beaver hat from Rand's is FAR superior to a 50x from many of the larger commercial hat companies. I have a 10x, 20x and a natural from Rand's. I love the natural, but it is likely a bit too light in color for hunting.

Now you guys have me wanting to buy hats!!! Some nice lids there gents.

CFC04F02-51CE-4096-8469-78AECBCF422F.jpeg

fine folks at Rands!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qawsed

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?