R8 one system two barrels for DG and PG in same hunt?

Luminous Ham

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunted
Namibia
Embarking on the first small step towards a DG and PG hunt. I have a Blaser R8 in .243 and 9.3x62 with a 3-9x56 scope. Planning to buy a .416 barrel for the DG and put on a eg 1-4x24 scope. I also have two trigger units. I do not want to buy another system.

Now, having one R8 could potentially be a limitation compared to having two rifles in the sense that you would need some time to change barrel, boltbhead, scope or bullets if, for example, you are out looking for a buffalo with your .416 barrel, but then come by e.g. a steenbok in the distance, or an impala.

What to do? I can think of the following:
A) Wait with PG until bagged the DG.
B) Use the .416 on the PG with the small scope and heavy bullets.
C) Use the .416 on the PG with the small scope but use another trigger house already loaded with less heavy bullets (need to know shift in bullet trajectory).
D) Get a spare e.g. 5-20x50 scope and quickly put that on the .416 and use the heavy bullets
E) Get a spare e.g. 5-20x50 scope and quickly put that on the .416 and use the other trigger house already loaded with less heavy bullets.
F) Any other ways around it.

Any experiences with any of the above?

(yes, I know in some countries 9.3x62 might be enough also for e.g. buffalo. Yes, I know a .375 could mostly replace the 9.3x62 and a .416. Yes, I know I could rent e.g. a .416, or a smaller for DG. Yes, I know the three most important things are: shot placement, shot placement, and shot placement. But none of that is what I'm asking.).

I do what you are doing.
I suggest leaving the .243 at home and use the 9.3x62 on everything but Buff and Elephant - depends on the country you are hunting in.

If you take the .243, know that the locals in RSA use that caliber for everything up to eland. I do not recommend that but anything deer size (bushbuck, impala, reedbok, springbok etc) is fine.

Your scope should be what you like and your eye likes. I struggle with any objective above 44mm. I use a Swarovski Z6 1.7-10x42 in my ,375'S and .416's. I use a Swarovski z5 3.5-18x44 on everything else.

I dedicate one scope to one gun or barrel and do not mix and match because mix and matching will catch you.

Take an extra scope that you like and would shoot on any or all of your guns, just in case.

I am struggling with a very similar issue. I have the Blaser in 458 Lott with a 1x6 Schmidt & Bender and considering adding a 375 H&H barrel to the kit. Conundrum being that unless I am simply on a PG hunt I will want to have the Lott ready to go and when the old adage kicks in that you have to be ready to take what the bush gives you.... you don't have time to be swapping barrels in most cases.

I missed out on a really big eland bull in Tanzania simply because my low magnification scope through the grass did not give me comfort in taking a shot at over 150 yds.

If you are looking at getting a 416 barrel.... that truly could be a do all rifle paired with the right scope, unless you were simply chasing the tiny ten or PG specific hunt in RSA or Namibia.

Probably not much help, but like I stated, I am dealing with the same question.

CK

Embarking on the first small step towards a DG and PG hunt. I have a Blaser R8 in .243 and 9.3x62 with a 3-9x56 scope. Planning to buy a .416 barrel for the DG and put on a eg 1-4x24 scope. I also have two trigger units. I do not want to buy another system.

Now, having one R8 could potentially be a limitation compared to having two rifles in the sense that you would need some time to change barrel, boltbhead, scope or bullets if, for example, you are out looking for a buffalo with your .416 barrel, but then come by e.g. a steenbok in the distance, or an impala.

C) Use the .416 on the PG with the small scope but use another trigger house already loaded with less heavy bullets (need to know shift in bullet trajectory).
D) Get a spare e.g. 5-20x50 scope and quickly put that on the .416 and use the heavy bullets
E) Get a spare e.g. 5-20x50 scope and quickly put that on the .416 and use the other trigger house already loaded with less heavy bullets.

(yes, I know in some countries 9.3x62 might be enough also for e.g. buffalo. Yes, I know a .375 could mostly replace the 9.3x62 and a .416. Yes, I know I could rent e.g. a .416, or a smaller for DG. Yes, I know the three most important things are: shot placement, shot placement, and shot placement. But none of that is what I'm asking.).
I’m wrestling with what barrels to get with my R8 as well. I have a 375, 6.5 PRC and 223 on order. Planning on a VX6-HD 2-12 for my 375, VX5-HD 3-15 for my 6.5 and have a VX6 3-18x50 for the 223 which will be for practice. However, I’m thinking I can do everything with a 375 in Africa and can bring a 6.5 PRC rifle I already have if I really want a ‘heavy’ and a light. Thinking about going with the 375 and a 22 kit and forgetting the rest for now. Both the 22 or the 223 are for practice and plinking.

In your case, the 416 Rem Mag is also a versatile cartridge for plains game/DG. I’d put a higher magnification scope on it - 1-6 or 1-8 or even something in the 2-10/12 range and be prepared for just about anything in Africa. Bring your 243 barrel for when you’re going for deer sized and smaller, but put a little more magnification on that 416 and be able to use it for a wider variety of plains game shooting scenarios.

I also have an R8. .30-06 .300 win mag .375 and .416 barrels with 2 different scopes. After three trips overseas carrying 2 barrels and only using the second barrel once, I am likely to take only the .375 to Africa again, unless elephant is on the menu. It is nice to swap for a plains game caliber after the heavy ones are down, but they die just as well with the .375. You just need to know your ballistics out to 250 yards or so. My gun case carries 2 barrels quite nicely so it's really not difficult to take both. I really think it depends on the game available and planned.

I have a 7PRC, 375h&h, and 458Lott for the R8. If I were to go right now with one of them, I would take the 375h&h, with a 1.7X10 scope. I'm good from 10 yards to 300 without thinking twice.

If I'm just going after DG, I'll take the 458Lott and not worry about what we might see. If it's something worth trying. We will have to work our way closer.

That doesn't answer you like you are asking.

If you want a 416, run it with a 1.7X10-13.2 scope of some flavor. You will be fine at any range if you know your dope.

In your case, the 416 Rem Mag is also a versatile cartridge for plains game/DG. I’d put a higher magnification scope on it - 1-6 or 1-8 or even something in the 2-10/12 range and be prepared for just about anything in Africa. Bring your 243 barrel for when you’re going for deer sized and smaller, but put a little more magnification on that 416 and be able to use it for a wider variety of plains game shooting scenarios.
And you would use the same bullets as for DG also on PG?

If you want a 416, run it with a 1.7X10-13.2 scope of some flavor. You will be fine at any range if you know your dope.
Thanks, perhaps I need to try the 1.5- or 1.7- scopes someday, not sure I can use them though, I'm more comfortable with the 1- scopes.

Its easy
You hunt with the big gun untill the buff is done. And shoot other things you happen upon while chasing the big stuff
Then u change up for rest

Short answer (IMO) - one DG capable barrel and one scope with one ammo weight. BTW - if the 9.3 is legal where you are hunting, that would be my choice from your options and save the 416RM barrel money for another animal.

I had (sold to another AH member) a Blaser 416RM barrel and found the profile (22mm Selous/Safari) to be too heavy for caliber. This made the rifle into "field club" that I really didn't like carrying around on a stalk, especially for the miles needed for DG. If you are going this route, I'd suggest having one done by J. Sip & Sons or Pale Horse Zero in a 19mm profile.

One barrel or two...I'm in the former camp preferring to travel light with just one caliber. My choice is a 375H&H complete with iron sights and a QD mounted Swaro Z81 1-8x24. This allows for shots on DG or PG out to 250 yard with 300 grain Barnes TSX bullets, while still being suitable for the T10 by carrying a handfull of 300 grain Woodliegh Hydros. I also prefer a true 1x scope for DG hunting for use with both eyes open at close range.

One grain weight of ammo or two...DEFINITELY ONE! Different ammo means different ballistics means more confusion means you have a much higher probability of making a mistake...on the hunt of a lifetime! Keep it simple with one bullet weight and bring about 10 solids that shoots to the same POI. If going with a .416 caliber, the most common is 400 grains. Find the one that shoots the most accurate in your rifle and there you go. Premium expanding bullets like the Barnes TSX, Swift A-Fram, Federal TBBC or Norma Oryx are all great choices. I've found that Barnes TSX bullets are preferred by all of my Blaser barrels over the others, but your results may vary.

One scope or two...Clint Smith said "Fear the man with one gun, he probably knows how to use it". Same goes for the scope. Get more reps in by using just one scope rather than trying to split your time then trying to remember what you are looking at. Again, keeping it simple is key...especially when going after DG animals.

Lastly...if you choose to bring a second PG barrel, I would recommend you do the same as you do on the first. One scope with one kind of ammo to keep any possible confusion to a minimum. I'm not a big fan of the 243WIN, but lots of game has fallen to it. Take the advice of your PH, use premium ammo, make good shots and I'm sure things will work out fine.

Thanks, perhaps I need to try the 1.5- or 1.7- scopes someday, not sure I can use them though, I'm more comfortable with the 1- scopes.

Try it, you can do it with both eyes open. It is not that big of a transition (Most 1X scopes are not true 1X). Meaning it is usually 1.1 or something close to that, it is rare to come across one that is truly flat.

Would also only take one bullet weight. No need to over complicate things.

Lots of good answers, and good quotes "Fear the man....":)

I hear you: KISS (keep it simple, stupid), one bullet per rifle, one scope per rifle, etc. Less room for mistakes. Only .416 until DG done. Well copied!

I suggest watching my Dangerous Game Scopes video. 4x on the top end is like using a musket these days. There is simply no reason for it. It has little versatility.
You don't tell us where you are going so it is hard to gauge the PG Hunting volume. If it wasZim or similar I'd be tempted to just take the .416. If you are going to a well stocked game farm them I'd certainly take the PG rifle.
And yes just a .375 is an option.

So, you would swap barrel on the hunt or what do you mean?
I'd hunt buffalo with the 416. Then once I shot the buffalo, I'd swap to the 300 for PG. If PG was encountered while hunting buffalo, then of course just shoot it with the 416. But quite honestly, IF i were in your situation, (and I have been), I'd just use a 375 for everything.

I'd hunt buffalo with the 416. Then once I shot the buffalo, I'd swap to the 300 for PG. If PG was encountered while hunting buffalo, then of course just shoot it with the 416. But quite honestly, IF i were in your situation, (and I have been), I'd just use a 375 for everything.
Well, as I write, I do not have a .375, nor a .300 for that matter. But point taken on PG with .416.

And you would use the same bullets as for DG also on PG?
Yes, use a high quality expanding but deep penetrating bullet - like 300 gr Barnes TSX or Swift A-frame. Whoops - sorry you’re shooting a 416 - a 400 gr. Can bring a matching solid for the Barnes for follow up shots on big dangerous game like buffalo, elephant, hippo and for use on the tiny ten. I like Barnes myself - haven’t used them in Africa yet (6 mos and counting down…) - but they’ve performed well on deer and moose for me. Deep penetration and good expansion. https://www.barnesbullets.com/vor-tx-safari-shop-all/.

Once you’ve got your buffalo (and any plains game of opportunity), switch to the 243. As always, follow the advice of your PH.

Attachments

• Shop all VOR-TX Safari - Barnes Bullets.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 12

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinjo

Latest profile posts

Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt