R8 Barrel Trade .300 Win Mag For 30-06 And/Or .375HH

Reaction score
I have told a few of you, that I bought a Blaser R8 while on Vicodin as I was recovering from a minor surgery.

Let's call it my therapy gun?

Anyway, it came with 6.5 Creedmoore and a .300 Win Mag standard contour barrels. I would like to trade the .300 mag barrel for a 30-06, standard contour barrel or for a .375 HH standard barrel. I am interested in purchasing a kickstop for the R8 as well. Please PM me with any trade options you folks may have.

John

IMO - If you are looking for a 375H&H barrel, stick with the 300WM so they can share a bolt head.

Make sure you get a standard contour barrel with sights for the 375. Also, it won’t take long for you to outgrow the need for a kickstop. The 375 is pretty easy shooting.

Feeling really frisky…sell the 6.5CM and get a 257WBY that also uses the MA bolt head.

Use the mercury recoil reducer 12-16 oz cheaper and as effective

Use the mercury recoil reducer 12-16 oz cheaper and as effective
If you do this, make sure it's tapped for the proper metric threads.

IMO - If you are looking for a 375H&H barrel, stick with the 300WM so they can share a bolt head.

Make sure you get a standard contour barrel with sights for the 375. Also, it won’t take long for you to outgrow the need for a kickstop. The 375 is pretty easy shooting.

Feeling really frisky…sell the 6.5CM and get a 257WBY that also uses the MA bolt head.
I would keep the bolt head and just trade/sell the bare barrel.

I have heard mixed feelings about the kick stop. I am not a fan of recoil...

I'm 70" and 160 lbs, the rifle is a Blaser R8 with aluminum receiver and 375H&H standard contour 17mm barrel weighing 7.75 lbs. I'm not a fan of recoil either and this is a dream to shoot.
1700010588724.png

I was very pleasantly surprised at how easy and comfortable it is to shoot an R8 in 375. A lot of people may think a rifle that weight is too light for 375, but honestly, I wish I could find a way to strip the weight of the scope off the rifle so that it weighed less than 8 pounds with the scope.

It sounds like you had good, balanced decision making while in recovery!

Getting the .375 H&H is priority #1. With a kick stop installed, it will be nice to shoot. Then the .300WM will feel easy. And the 6.5CM can be you practice gun with cheap ammo! (And a 6.5 caliber is perfect for deer)

Definitely get a kick stop. I think it balances the rifle better and I don’t notice the weight. I’m 5’8” and about 160 lbs, a 9 lb rifle isn’t a big deal.

Have you shot the rifle yet?

It sounds like you had good, balanced decision making while in recovery!

Getting the .375 H&H is priority #1. With a kick stop installed, it will be nice to shoot. Then the .300WM will feel easy. And the 6.5CM can be you practice gun with cheap ammo! (And a 6.5 caliber is perfect for deer)

Definitely get a kick stop. I think it balances the rifle better and I don’t notice the weight. I’m 5’8” and about 160 lbs, a 9 lb rifle isn’t a big deal.

Have you shot the rifle yet?
I have not shot the rifle yet. I just took possession of the gun two days ago and still need to figure out how it all works, clean it and get a scope mounted. I'm looking forward to learning about all the things.

Some may ask why not keep the .300 win mag barrel and the answer is that I am trying to limit the number of different cartridges I have. I am trying to be simple in how many components, rods, brushes, jags, ... etc, etc I have to own and maintain. Also, I don't try and shoot long distances, personally a 30-06 will shoot farther than I care to.

The 6.5 actually fills a gap in my collection, though I never intended to by one. I have varmint rifles, then step up to a .243, then jump to a 30-06. So, actually a 6.5 Creed does fill the middle ground nicely.

So, I am looking to trade the .300 Win Mag barrel (barrel only) for a 30-06 barrel and/or .375 HH barrel (with iron sites) in the standard contour. I would also like to purchase a kick stop (again, I am not a recoil fan). I of course would put in money to boot on a two barrel deal/trade.

May as well throw this out there too, I could use a scope for these barrels as well.

Thanks for the interest.

If you don't get any trade offers I am looking for a 300 win mag barrel for my r8. I have the magazine. Just trade the barrel for money...

I am selling this, I may be interested in the 6.5 creedmoor?

BeeMaa,

Still learning how the pieces all work with the Blaser, so I have a couple questions.

Will the magazine insert I have for the 6.5 Creedmoor work with 30-06 ammo?

Will the magazine insert for the .300 win mag work for .375hh?
IMG_9882.jpeg

BeeMaa,

Still learning how the pieces all work with the Blaser, so I have a couple questions.

View attachment 570813
I know the 300WM and 375H&H are different magazines.

I don’t own a 6.5CM or 30-06 but take a look on the side of the magazines that you do have. If not, Google can be a big help.

Have you sold the 300 win mag barre? if not I‘m interested

BeeMaa,

View attachment 570813
I’m pretty sure the 6.5 cm magazine will NOT work for .30-06 ammo. There is a tab to stop the bolt on the 6.5 magazine.

But, some of the larger, longer ammo will work in somewhat similar mags but it might not feed ideally. I was using 9.3x62 ammo in the wrong mag last weekend. It worked. (Sometimes a guy forgets something.)

I am selling this, I may be interested in the 6.5 creedmoor?
Jager,

Good luck with your sale.

As of right now, I plan on keeping the 6.5 Creedmoor. Thanks for asking.

John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
QSGAli3189

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .

IMG_3426.jpeg
IMG_2910.jpeg
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?