Questions regarding Hunt Size

My questions are these;

#1 Is it acceptable to have a small list of trophy's to go after or is everyone expected by the outfitter to go after the max list possible?

#2 is a 10 day limpopo safari too may days for a Buffalo, eland, WIldabeast /kudu list? Will i have too may days of down time at the end of the trip?

#3. Will a outfitter look down on me if i only want a Buff and say a sable package?

Is there a big push or upsell to try and get you to shoot more animals?

After our chat regarding your new .375 H&H, Bigugly, in which I hope my sharing a couple pointers helped, I am happy to share a few more pointers here :)

Essentially, everything everyone said is perfectly right, although some outfitters and some PHs may be a bit different because each have their own personal character, and each have their own economic incentives, but the bottom line always applies:

It is your time, your money, your safari, your choices. As long as you do not ask for something illegal or unethical (a concept that may vary based on whom you talk to), there is no wrong desire, wrong choice or wrong question. Some may or may not agree with your personal choices, and some may or may not be able to deliver what you want, in which case these may not be the right operators for your safari, but it is perfectly fine to ask.

#1 Is it acceptable to have a small list of trophy's to go after or is everyone expected by the outfitter to go after the max list possible?

Let us begin with the fact that there are typically two types of safaris these days.

Some book a turnkey package with a set number of days and a set number and species of animals. These packages may be somewhat negotiable (e.g. swap animals of equal value, if available), but in many cases, the packages are what they are, and with some outfitters animals not taken are not deducted from the price of the package. This is simple for beginners, but not ideal for folks who know exactly what they want, like you.

Some book the daily rate for a number of days and chose animals among those available and for which they pay a trophy fee when the animal is taken (or wounded). This is a lot more flexible, even though it appears a bit more daunting at the beginning of your prep work. A good outfitter/agent will make himself available endlessly on the phone to help you. I would definitely advise you to go this route.

Some outfitter/PH may try to push you toward more animals, because there is an economic incentive for them to do so, but the good ones will not. This, in a way, is one of the things you want to note when booking your safari. An outfitter attempting to apply pressure on the client, or make the client adapt to him rather than going out of his way to adapt to the client, is - in my book - a red flag.

#2 is a 10 day Limpopo safari too many days for a Buffalo, eland, Wildebeest / kudu list? Will I have too many days of down time at the end of the trip?

Two things here.

Limpopo is a great place - I have hunted Buff there - but there are other places just as great and very different in South Africa. For example, the southern areas around the Karoo are just beautiful too and hunts in the Eastern Cape are memorable. Limpopo is flatter and denser. Eastern Cape is more hilly and more open, and typically wilder. To each their own :)

A typical hunting day in South Africa consists of two hunts. One in the morning (7 am to 12 PM) and one in the afternoon (3 pm to 6 pm). Two criteria typically drive how many animals you take daily:
what animals density and what biotope you are hunting; and how selective you are in the animals you want to take.

I am honestly advising you to avoid hunting on any property less than ~7,000 to 10,000 acres, and to avoid like the plague hunting with an outfitter who does not own or long-term lease the land you will hunt. The last thing you want to do is commute 6 hours per day between small hunting farms (2,000 or 3,000 acres) where you take one animal quickly (and often too easily), then drive 2 hours on asphalt to the next one...

To give you a reference, a typical client hunting with a typical outfitter on typical land for typical trophy, generally takes two animals per day in South Africa. Therefore, mathematically, a 10 day safari accommodates a 10 animal package.

This being said, while Buffalo, Eland, etc. will not be hunted in wildernesses, if you hunt the Eastern Cape, a number of animals such as Kudu can be - depending with whom you hunt - truly wild animals hunted in true unfenced wildernesses in the vast mountains of the Karoo. We do this at Huntershill. In such circumstances, it may take 2 or 3 days to get a great Kudu, but you will remember this hunt the rest of your life. Limpopo does not have vast mountains ranges such as the Eastern Cape, so this will likely not happen there.

To summarize, 10 days is plenty enough for Buffalo, Eland, Wildebeest, Kudu and some could almost say too long in some very controlled environments, but I agree with Red Leg that 10 days is so much better than 5 days. You can really start to disconnect from the world (do not use your phone every 5 minutes!) and immerse yourself in the experience for 10 days. You simply cannot in 5 days; by the time you found your marks, it is time to pack and go...

Go for 10 days indeed, and keep in mind that there is a lot of animals in the $300 to $500 trophy fee range that you can hunt after your main goals are met, without exploding the budget. For example, at Huntershill you can take a Duiker for $250, an Impala for $350, a Warthog for $350, a Springbuck for $350, a Mountain Reedbuck for $320, a Steenbok for $350, etc. It may make a lot of sense to allocate $1,000 or $1,500 from your budget to a couple small animals like those after you are done with your primary animal(s), and it will easily take a few days to collect good ones.

#3. Will an outfitter look down on me if I only want a Buff and say a Sable package?

A good one will certainly NOT. Again, I will agree with Red Leg, that a good PH will actually relish the challenge of not shooting the first acceptable Buff or Sable and spending time actually hunting hard for a great animal.

This being said, it depends where you hunt. Not everyone has a lot of animals in wild settings - even though ALL the properties are high fenced in South Africa because it is a legal requirement - and some smaller places may only have a few animals for you to choose from. This is where having done your homework will pay huge dividends.

To use the famous say: "size matters". I fully recommend that you ask very candidly the size of the blocks you will be hunting. A lot of fluff can be thrown around, but at the end of the day you will have more choice, and likely a better hunt - potting in a pasture is different, even though it can produce great "trophies" by the horn length - when you hunt a contiguous block of 60,000 acres than when you hunt a contiguous block of 10,000 acres or 10 separated blocks of 6,000 acres.

Not with good outfitters and good PHs. Should you be unfortunate to be pushed toward something you do not want while discussing with an outfitter before you book, my advice is simply to say no, and stop considering this outfitter. Should it happen in the field with your PH, simply say no. Gently and politely, then more strongly if needed.

In summary....

Remember, you are the client and it is your money. While the outfitter and PH are to be treated as friendly partners, the basic relationship is still a commercial relationship: you are paying good money for the service you want.

People who accept your money owe you what they take it for, and if they do not want or cannot give you what you want, they should not accept your money. Do not hesitate to be extremely specific in what you want, and to ask specifically for it; it helps outfitters and PHs deliver on your expectations when they understand them well :)

Last edited:
@Bigugly,

i'm kind of in @Mark Biggerstaff's camp, when i went to Africa, i had a fairly modest list of game animals i was interested in, but i was in Zulu land for 23 days. i was only a "hunter" for 7 or 8 days, the rest of the time i was an "observer". during that time i was in on 5 eland, 1 waterbuck, a blue wildebeest, caught tiger fish, shot some guinea fowl, culled a blesbok, released springbok and nyala etc all as an observer.

extra time spent in Africa is time well spent!

Bigugly, do you already have an outfitter in mind? I agree and disagree with some of what is written above. After you’ve found outfitters interested in your hunt I would ask as many questions as possible and check references. I’d want to know how many other hunters will be in camp. I prefer a small camp over a big camp with hunters and possibly their families you don’t know. I’d want to know how many PHs they employ and how many hunters they run through each year. The less hunters and PHs the more personalized it will be. Ask how many different properties they hunt, sizes of each property, driving distances, and their experience hunting these properties. They should be able to tell you about game management on the properties and if other outfitters use the property to hunt as well. An outfitter owning their own property can be a positive or a negative depending how it is used. I wouldn’t exclude an outfitter because they don’t own land or long term lease. Do you want to track your buffalo or spot and stalk? Same question with eland? Lots of questions to ask, but these are what would initially help me decide.

This is a very valid point 375Fox and very much a cost/benefits analysis where each need to make their own choice, and these are all great questions.

Some clients enjoy meeting other clients around the bar and dinner, and this is a very nice way to spend the time when inevitably your outfitter and/of PH cannot dedicate their time to you when the camp/lodge needs to be run, the skinners supervised, the vehicles fueled and maintained, other clients' emails answered (remember, he is running a business), etc., etc. For those who enjoy social time, having the possibility BUT NEVER THE OBLIGATION to meet another or a few other hunter(s) at sundowners is great.

Other clients prefer to be alone and read a book or absorb themselves in their phone after hunting, and to eat alone or with their PH who is generally - but not always - available for lunch and dinner. This is great too.

This being said, flexibility works only one way. When no one else is around, it is not possible to share a drink and a story, or simply see someone else, and 10 days can become long, sharing a camp with a PH who may be a good hunter but who is not really a good host, or happens to be overstressed or burnt-out at that time. It happened to me recently in a remote tented bush camp that held all the promises to be ideal, and where I was the sole client, and although the hunt was successful, it was not pleasant. I had never had this experience before, and it gave me a look at the other side of the outfitter/owner/PH-and-sole-client-in-a-small-camp experience... ***

Conversely, if other hunters are in camp, you can always mix with them at the bar if you wish, or smoke your cigar alone by the campfire if you prefer, but the choice exists.

Ah, gives and takes; gives and takes....

There is no right or wrong, just personal preferences, and I completely agree that this is amongst what needs to be discussed prior to booking. The one thing to really avoid is going on safari with the wrong expectations; these often lead to disappointments...

*** This, by the way, shows how important it is to talk with references PRIVATELY and to be candid when providing references. Upon my return, I reached out privately to a half dozen hunters on AH who had given OK reports on the outfitter and was astounded to hear/read them share privately with me exactly the same experience I had...

Last edited by a moderator:
Be very clear and up front on your expectations of what you are looking for in a buffalo as there are many choices, but your wish is their challenge. A reputable safari company and PROFESSIONAL Hunter will do his best to accommodate your wish. This is your hunt. I would consider indigenous animals of the area as other trophies to pursue, but that's just me. I suspect that this won't be your only trip to the Dark Continent.

Here is a hunt advertised on this site for a 7 day buffalo hunt in Zimbabwe, all in for $11K and you can add some PG as well.

I'd recommend a free range buffalo hunt in Zimbabwe over any fenced DG hunt in RSA.

Bigugly, there's a lot of great and useful info on here. One more question for you? Does your budget include your taxidermy and shipping of your animals home? I've only done one plains game safari and the taxidermy cost was almost half of my budget. I hope to do same hunt as you in the next couple of years. Buff, Sable, Nyala and bushbuck.

Lots of recommendations on places to go as alternatives but extra flights and travel mean additional costs. I was in a very similar place as a working class guy and an average house with standard height ceilings.
I would focus hard on how the outfit hunts. Sitting in a blind over feed, spot and stalk, or tracking up a buffalo bull are all as different as day and night. For my tastes only one of those held any appeal for me. It was the desire to track up a buffalo bull that lured me to Africa and I found the outfit that did it that way for a price that fit my budget. You don’t have to watch YouTube long to see all styles of hunting in all the various destinations.

So, i am in the beginning stages of planning for my first safari.

A cape buffalo bull is #1 on my priority list and is at this stage not negotiable. I want one. I have purchased a new rifle for one :) The idea of taking one of the world meanest animals is exciting.

This however will take up 75% of my safari budget. I will only take probably 2-3 plains game animals in addition to the Buff.

There are reasons for this. #1 is budget, but more importantly I don't have a super big house to display all of this taxidermy. AND there is only a handful of plainsgame i really want to take.

My questions are these;

#2 is a 10 day limpopo safari too may days for a Buffalo, eland, WIldabeast /kudu list? Will i have too may days of down time at the end of the trip?

#3. Will a outfitter look down on me if i only want a Buff and say a sable package?

Id like to know experiences of people who had a small target list/budget when going to africa and how their hunt turned out.

Thanks, sean
Caution! First Safari. When you get to Africa you will find the charm and challenge in many, many different animals. I understand budget for sure but don’t be too tight on what is after the buff. Your PH will cater to you and what you are after. 10 days is the minimum for a Buffalo in most cases.
have a great first safari!

I think lots of great advice has already been offered up. Remember, you may see a buffalo on day 1, but that doesn't mean you have to or should shoot it. If you're going for 10 days, take that time to find the perfect buffalo for you.

On our recent hunt, we had 4 days at the end to hunt buff. We saw easily over 100 buffalo, but not the one we wanted. So we didn't shoot. In 10 days, you'll be able to find something really special.

Also, nothing against RSA (hunted there twice), but consider a really wild hunt in Zim or someplace similar. You'll hunt lone dugga boys and huge herds. It will he an amazing adventure!

I would second the other comments about at least looking into Zimbabwe. You could do the hunt in Matetsi and see Victoria Falls too I believe. Enjoy the planning, talk to the Outfitters/PHs as well as people at travel agencies (Gracey / Travel Express) and shipping those euros home to get your overall budget.

I want to thank each and every one of you for offing up advice. I am digesting ALL OF IT and writing down questions as we speak. Im sure i will have more.

For those that have asked, i do have an outfitter that i am considering. I am considering him because a very close friend of mine, who i trust, hunted with this outfitter and had a very positive experience with him.
I have not booked however and made a final decision just yet. Im still asking lots of questions.

The outfitter im considering is Dumukwa Safari's and Bertus Gerhardt in Limpopo.

Let me know if anyone has any experience beyond what im already getting from my friend.

Bigugly, there's a lot of great and useful info on here. One more question for you? Does your budget include your taxidermy and shipping of your animals home? I've only done one plains game safari and the taxidermy cost was almost half of my budget. I hope to do same hunt as you in the next couple of years. Buff, Sable, Nyala and bushbuck.
So no, my animal only budget is $15k. Actually, id be a little happier if i could keep it to around $13,500

Im not including;

Airfare
Tips
Rifle permits
Importation ,crating, shipping of trophy's
Euro taxidermy

These items would all be above and beyond.

If you're worried about shooting out early, I would add in wingshooting. My next trip I am going to do that regardless.

Or Tiger fishing.
Absolutely, especially if my wife has any say in the matter. She wants to do that in the worst way,

So does everyone think $15k is ok for a animal budget?

The reason is I am not a lawyer, Dentist, Doctor or Hedge Fund manager. This is all i can realistically afford.

The only concern I have is ensuring you get a quality buffalo hunt for 9. I see enough adverts to believe that it is possible, but ask a lot of questions and ensure that you are getting a true tracking hunt in as close to free range conditions as possible. I have only hunted buffalo once in Limpopo. However, my hunt was on one of the large greater Kruger reserves open to the park, so it’s a bit of apples and oranges.

Shoot what you want, as much as you want, or as low as you want.
There is no "expectation"

For this - depends of outfitter.
If this is package as offered by outfitter, then it is doable. Outfitter will not offer something that cannot be accomplished in time given. he wants you to accoplish your plan, so he can charge you.

In case this is your list, then ask outfitter how many days he can suggest to accompish this.

#3. Will a outfitter look down on me if i only want a Buff and say a sable package

No,
Both are premium game. by this choice you are already a "high value"client.
We had on forum people who went to africa to shoot one or two lesser value trophies, and it worked out fine.

many outfitters will give you option to make your own package. offered deals are not "written in stone"
instead of sable, maybe you can shoot roan. if you have some extra cash you can add impala and blesbok, etc etc. you can combine in most of cases, smart thing is to ask this options in advance with outfittter

Next is tipping, check tipping section on the forum.
Tipping is not "must"
Tipping is cultural.
American clients usually tip, and tip well.
European clients, do not tip, or tip less.
If you are american, consider up to 5-10% for tipping. you will feel better, check also expected tipping with outfitter

But the choice of animals to be taken is yours, and nobody will hold it against you anytime, just because small list of animals, you will never be considered "cheap"

Hi @Bigugly, a buffalo hunt is so special it is to be savoured, every single gram. For sure it is acceptable to go for just a buffalo. You can track lots of them until you are happy that the one you saw at the beginning is worth re-visiting, or you decide that the one you are looking at right now is Mr Right. I killed just the buffalo on my buff hunt, there was no pressure at all to do more. Also look at the hunt report posted here by @wiltznucs, he got the buff he wanted on day 10 with the special double rifle he got for the hunt.
As to other hunters in camp, as others have said 10 days with just your PH is a long time. I am a quiet guy, but I really enjoy the company of others in camp. You can go you own way for a while if you wish, but at least you have the option.

I took three animals in ten days, spending half the trip looking for a Nyala. Not a word of complaint from my outfitter!

Ditto here...except it was three animals in 12 days, with half the trip chasing an Eland.

We had a blast and no complaints from any quarter (this in Zimbabwe).

You have a solid plan. Go for it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saroruha Goswami

Latest profile posts

jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with
Grz63 wrote on Cecil Hammonds's profile.
Greetings from Clermont -ferrand !!
We 'll visit Livingstone / Vic Falls for 3 days and 2 nights. Back to Mapcha by car, back to WDH with Airlink (grab my rifles and belongings) and the same day back to Frankfurt.
What do you mind from your own experience ? and your wife .? Did she appreciate ?
We already hunted Namibia in 2022, May for PG near Outjo for 8 days. Great country.
Thank you for your advises.
Philippe
Hello Cecil
I am Philippe from Center of France. I plan to hunt Zambezi with Zana Botes in 2026, Oct after a couple of days for PG in Namibia in his lodge. I will be with my wife. She is not really a huntress and we promised to go visit Vic Falls. I imagine to go to Caprivi by car , hunt there 7 days (for buff) and go by car to Vic falls (PH will bring back my rifle) . sorry I am required to write 2 messages
buckstix wrote on magnum308's profile.
yes ..please send me a copy ... buckstix@aol.com