Questions about the Golden Wildebeest

Well, they are blue wildebeest, in every genetic sense, other than a small color variation. While I can appreciate their beauty, the whole scheme of "making" designer animals to meet demand runs counter to my perception of hunting wild animals in their natural state, in their natural environment. Admittedly, lots of other parts about hunting encroach on that ideal too (high fence, selective breeding for horn size, put/take operations, mineral supplementation, predator removal, and the list goes on). Some parts of it are more palatable (to me) than others.
Those are my thoughts too. I’m fine with a fence if it’s used to create/protect natural and sustainable conditions inside, but seeing a golden wildebeest, kings wildebeest, black impala, saddle back impala etc especially large numbers of them is just an immediate sign it’s unnatural conditions to me and would lessen my experience. I’m glad the craze never migrated to Namibia.
 
Guess I wasn't following the situation that closely. I've done all of my Africa hunting in Namibia. Started there many years ago and haven't had a reason to change. Seems a bit like the tulip craze all those years ago in Holland.......
 
So I submitted the photo of me with, what is clearly, a Golden Wildebeest to SCI and asked for a Photo Medallion Plaque. The attached paperwork says Blue Wildebeest. They said this is not a problem and this is how it is to be entered. So there is our final answer. Golden Wildebeests DO get submitted to SCI as Blue Wildebeests.
Of course... that is what they are.
 
Those are my thoughts too. I’m fine with a fence if it’s used to create/protect natural and sustainable conditions inside, but seeing a golden wildebeest, kings wildebeest, black impala, saddle back impala etc especially large numbers of them is just an immediate sign it’s unnatural conditions to me and would lessen my experience. I’m glad the craze never migrated to Namibia.
"I’m glad the craze never migrated to Namibia."
(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,426
Messages
1,575,907
Members
170,468
Latest member
RooseveltD
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top