Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Bluegrass Safari Club
Hunted
RSA-Limpopo, KY, WV, TN, ND, SD, NM
I am currently planning my first African Safari. As such I have become a student on the methods and practices used by successful hunters and PH's in the region. I have been watching a number of video's published by safari hunters and PH's over a range of subjects. But something has been bugging me and I would like to ask for the collective input of this community to clue me in.

Being a former licensed range safety officer I have had muzzle discipline safety drilled into me since I was a kid. "You never point your muzzle at anything or anyone that you are not willing to destroy." I often see PH's and hunters in Africa carry their rifles in the African Carry method. This being the rifle balanced horizontal on one's shoulder muzzle forward all while holding it by the barrel. This seems fine to me for the person in the lead of the hunting party, like the PH. His muzzle would be pointed forward into the open bush. I get it that some of the larger caliber heavy doubles do not have a sling and this was one way to carry the load. But for all of the other hunters who follow the leader, they will be sweeping their muzzles at the back of the heads of all those in front of them if they also use the African carry. That seems to be really poor gun handling safety and even if the guns are not loaded at the time, that is a serious breech of muzzle discipline. After all, I was also taught that I treat all guns as if loaded at all times. Some say it is for speed of deployment when DG hunting? Maybe, but I fail to understand how it is faster than say the old Rhodesian Carry.

For those unfamiliar, the Rhodesian Carry is with the rifle slung muzzle down on the weak side (in my case, being a right handed shooter, it would be my left shoulder). From this carry, one can deploy the rifle bringing it to aim from sticks or off-hand in a matter of 1-2 seconds in one smooth fluid motion. At all times it is otherwise safely pointed down at the ground. When finished aiming or shooting, it is just as quickly and safely re-slung in one smooth swift motion. Now the old American Carry or Traditional Carry is slower and more clumsy to use. This is sort of the military marching carry with rifle slung on strong side with muzzle pointed up. It is safe but not as effective IMO. If we are following up a shot on DG and need to slip slowly thru the bush, I am all for pulling off the sling and carrying the rifle in my hands at Port Arms with the muzzle up and both hands on the rifle ready to aim at a moments notice. Even then, I would have the safety on until needed. The old African carry appears to be an old throwback to an earlier time when Safaris had the luxury of many guns for one hunter and gun bearers to slog along with the extras. i.e. Teddy Roosevelt hundred man safari. Maybe I am wrong. It would not be the first time.

So, please help me to understand the value of the African Carry and why it would appear that gun safety is not as much of a real priority in the bush veld? What are its benefits and how can it be used without sacrificing safety?

Irish

African Carry.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Factually, you are right and 100% correct, on the African carry not being as safe as other carry methods.

In reality I have seen many a PH do so anyway, even when walking behind me.

I have also done so, when trying to get through very heavy brush, where everything is trying to grab you and scrape the clothes of your body. Ducking under hanging branches and such. No I’m not proud of this, yes I revert back to shoulder strap carry as soon as possible, but I cannot say I have never used the African carry.

I will let the more experienced safari goers further elaborate.

I’ve not hunted africa, but use this carry often. I’ll put it this way: there is a time and a place for everything.

I like the africa/shoulder carry or sling for long walks over open ground. When it’s tight or game is close, the gun is always in my hands.

I am absolutely neurotic about muzzle discipline and have lost friends because of lack of it on their part. I have been shot at, and swept, and watched guys with a lot of experience (former cops) lose their shit and AD right in front of me. I accept zero excuses.

But one carry is inherently no more dangerous than another. Like just about in everything, it’s the knucklehead holding the gun.

I don't understand the "Africa Carry" either. It does fit well in the "cool guy" matrix for courses of action. But I also agree with @baxterb, there is a time and a place for everything, and it is all about muzzle control and keeping your finger off the trigger.

I have been known to hang an unloaded OU or SxS shotgun with the action open on my shoulder. I have also carried various crew served weapons on my shoulders for more miles than I care to imagine. However, when I am hunting and carrying a loaded firearm, it is slung muzzle up, or muzzle down or in my hands.

As for others, carry it however you want but don't flag me and keep your finger off the trigger. I have zero tolerance for unsafe firearms handling.

This is going to be interesting. :A Popcorn:

Safe hunting

For a PH I think it is more practical even if not as safe from a gun safety standpoint. It’s faster, sling can’t hang up crawling through brush, no slings to replace as they get torn up. As a client however I’m generally uncomfortable with it. In a dangerous game area the chamber stays loaded and the muzzle frequently points at someone. I’d rather have a sling on my rifle and it on my shoulder pointing up. I will say though on a long tracking hunt The African carry is much more natural and better on your posture than a sling pulling on your shoulder after a week or two. I think most clients should not be doing the African carry but do so to be stubborn and out of some sort of tradition. There is one hunter I see on YouTube who is responsible for shooting a PH and still does the African carry. Most private land ranch hunts and hunts done in open areas have no justification to do the African carry as a client. In thick brush areas on a tracking hunt I can see the justification.

I cannot see any justification for unsafe firearms handling. If you are too tired or the terrain is too difficult, clear your weapon, show everyone it is cleared and then do whatever you want. Don't put others at risk. There are men that have hunted, and still do "hunt" extremely dangerous game during limited visibility in harsh terrain. They will not tolerate unsafe weapons handling. It doesn't matter if you are on a game ranch or a combat patrol. No excuse. I truly cannot understand all the drama with be-popping through brush while hunting in a small squad in a row of ducks' formation.

Safe hunting

My ph demonstrated how fast he can move from the African carry to rifle ready, it’s freaking fast. For him, being in front most of the time, I think it’s the best way of protecting the group. The rest of us, really shouldn’t be doing it, especially with a loaded double. I enjoyed using a sling the entire time and will carry that way again when I go back.

The Africa carry is generally used when in "search" mode... walking through the bush looking for game.
Once the quarry is spotted and you are in "hunting" mode you change from Africa carry to "port arms" or a version thereof.

Port arms is used when tracking dangerous game or following up on a wounded animal.

IMHO

ps... I'm sure it has happened that African carry has lead to accidents but in all honesty I've heard that guns don't just fire by themselves and chances are verrrrry slim that this method of carry is inherently dangerous. If your weapon fires by itself from this position I'd say it is a danger in the field and you should have left it at home.

Last edited:
I have 75 years of very serious big game hunting behind me. My safety habits are well engrained and do not include the African carry . I am way past attempting to look as cool as my PH. i do not point my rifle at anyone.

For a PH I think it is more practical even if not as safe from a gun safety standpoint. It’s faster, sling can’t hang up crawling through brush, no slings to replace as they get torn up. As a client however I’m generally uncomfortable with it. In a dangerous game area the chamber stays loaded and the muzzle frequently points at someone. I’d rather have a sling on my rifle and it on my shoulder pointing up. I will say though on a long tracking hunt The African carry is much more natural and better on your posture than a sling pulling on your shoulder after a week or two. I think most clients should not be doing the African carry but do so to be stubborn and out of some sort of tradition. There is one hunter I see on YouTube who is responsible for shooting a PH and still does the African carry. Most private land ranch hunts and hunts done in open areas have no justification to do the African carry as a client. In thick brush areas on a tracking hunt I can see the justification.. Muzzle discipline is muzzle discipline regardless of carry method.

Agree. Same experience. Muzzle discipline is muzzle discipline regardless of carry method. As is the decision to chamber , unchamber . There are an infinite number of scenarios that the armchair quarterbacks will soon unleash, but at the end of the day, the decision on how to carry is between you and your PH.

I've never found the African carry comfortable, and don't employ it from that standpoint. While I agree it can allow for sweeping others with the muzzle, muzzle control is independent of carry method. I can point the muzzle to the right of the person in front of me just as easily as I can point it at them. I've also seen muzzle sweeps dismounting a gun from a shoulder sling carry or (more than anything) from a hunter switching what hand they're carrying an unslung gun in. Muzzle control is about awareness more than anything.

That being said, I tend to carry my rifle in a muzzle up, strong side sling. I'm able to get my rifle into action pretty quickly from that position, and I have practiced pretty extensively with that method.

I have to say that African carry is probably the safest carry method (all things considered such as round chambered, safety on etc). Your hand is nowhere near the trigger.

Most PH's have been shot in the ass from hunters carrying at port where their sweaty little fingers are gripping the stock with the trigger finger near the pew pew button.

I've seen some sloppy gun handling, but never from my PH. He explained that holding the muzzle of the rifle, you SHOULD be aware of where the weapon is pointing at all times. The only time any carry method becomes dangerous is when muzzle awareness is lost, the buggar hook is on the bang button when it shouldn't be, etc.

I think that most PHs are far safer than their clients. He's confident that he is safe, but doesn't know about YOU. He's usually walking in front with the tracker, you are behind them... and I think more PHs have been shot by their clients than clients shot by PHs.

If you're always safe, your team can focus on hunting.

I am downright phobic about where my muzzle is pointed. And it doesn't make any difference if the chamber is open and gun unloaded. I just do not enjoy looking down someone else's barrel(s) so I have no intention of making others look down mine.

What I find laughable is the same guys who go to the expense of having an expensive barrel band sling swivel attached to their fancy African safari rifle go ahead and carry it on their shoulder anyway.

@JG26Irish_2

When hunting in Africa, there is a greater danger of being stabbed by a buffalo, trampled by an elephant, or mauled by a lion than are shot by his PH. For this reason, the ability to quickly take the weapon has priority. Because we don't travel with short assault rifles but with longer hunting rifles, and when hunting DG often with big bore rifles that are sometimes even longer and in all cases heavier, carrying them on the shoulder without a sling has proven to be very effective after decades of practice . Slings are a nuisance in dense bush and can therefore be dangerous, especially if the weapon is no longer on safe. When walking in the area you have to be careful where the muzzle of the rifle is. All is a question of practice and, above all, human understanding.

If you ask yourself too many questions about safety, you should think about whether you really want to make the activity. Hunting is not without danger, and hunting DG in Africa is even more dangerous. Believing that you are protected by your environment is illusory. At some point everyone has to be prepared to ensure their own safety and that of those accompanying them. Therefore, use enough gun and carry them on your shoulder like an African hunter.

I like the my gun slung weak side muzzle down. I find this safe and fast.

I have one PH friend, a very experienced Botswana elephant hunter, who uses African carry as he feels the sling is an encumbrance in that Kalahari thorns scrub country. He carries with a round in the chamber, but the bolt is not fully closed so the rifle is uncocked. There is a point in closing a ‘98, just as the spring is engaging, where tension will hold it in place. When he brings the gun to bear, he completes the bolt stroke and is ready to shoot. He claims that this is a Boer custom. I can’t comment beyond that.

I have several double rifles..the ONLY one I carry "African carry" is my .470 Krieghoff, loaded but uncocked..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesHow

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]