Qatar, Dallas, Doha, Johannesburg question

Good day to all. I used Qatar Airways for my last trip to Namibia. Service was outstanding. Didn't have to go through Joberg as Qatar has a flight direct into Windhoek. No overnight stay in Joberg. Actual transit time is a little longer but worth it. Flew from New Orleans on American Airlines to Dallas to make connection with Qatar Airways. The only rub was American's policy of not transferring Firearms and ammo to connecting flights. Had to go to baggage claim, pick up my gun case and checked baggage then go to the international terminal to check in with Qatar. Also Qatar has a form which you have to submit to them 5 days minimum to departure claiming traveling with firearm and ammo. Ammo cannot exceed 5 kilo in weight. If using a travel agency they will assist you with this. Coming bac your bags are check through to your final destination as Qatar has no such restrictions. Check in with Qatar was trouble free and quick.
If you'd like to discuss the matter further I can be contacted at (225) 916-6910 0800 thru 2000Hrs 7 days a week. Glad to help out.
Direct flights into Botswana and Namibia cannot be scheduled at this time on Qatar as they have pulled back on those but are still flying into JNB and presumably won’t cancel that route.

I have all my travel booked and confirmed.

Since American and Qatar are in the same group. I am looking to talk about did you check your bags all the way through from home airport through dallas and bags transferred from stateside carrier to Qatar with no problems or did you have to pickup bags in dallas and then recheck on Qatar. Then what is your opinion of Qatar airlines as all on Africa flights have been Delta in the past. When getting off the plane in Doha what is the process and what is there to do while waiting for the joberb connection?
While American Airlines and Qatar are affiliates, AA has a policy on firearms that does not allow checking guns straight through to JNB or anywhere else when connecting on another airline.

As for Qatar, I am told and as stated by others, you have to let them know several days in advance that you have firearms but there’s not a permit required like there is in SA.

thanks my message wasnt clear. i intend to fly houston doha jberg gabaronne via emirates instead of delta. so if anyone has any insight as to emirates flight i would appreciate your insight.
Little confused here. Emirates does not fly from IAH to Doha, but does to Dubai. I have flown Emirates from DFW in both Business and Coach. While Emirates Coach was much better then any US carrier, it's still Coach. The food in Coach was Indian as the Coach seat were filled 98% by Indians. Something to consider, if you don't like Indian food. I have not flown in Emirates NEW Premium Eco. As to Business it is great, high end booze, great snacks, excellent food. I will tell you the signage in Dubai for finding the lounge leaves a lot to be desired. They are well hidden.

For Emirates, you fill out the firearm form online on the Emirates website.

The booze service on Emirates is great, but not as good as to what I had on a China Southern fight. On that flight when I ask for a glass of Scotch, and the FA brought a Bottle of JW Green Label to my seat and proceed to pour a glass all the way to the top of the glass, no ice just all booze.

Thank you for the information on American and the need to pickup bags and then go to Qatar counter.

Thank you for the information on American and the need to pickup bags and then go to Qatar counter.
You are welcome. Even if your AA agent says it’s okay to check gun all the way through, don’t do it! Make sure they are tagged and checked ONLY to Dallas or any other airport connection you have when flying AA and switching airline carriers. In 2018, I had a flight on AA to Chicago and then Turkish Airlines to Dushanbe in Tajikistan. I rechecked everything on TA in Chicago and my bag and gun case made it to Dushanbe just fine. The other hunter I was meeting in Chicago did not listen to my warning. The AA agent he dealt with checked his bags all the way through to Dushanbe. His clothing bag made it but his gun case never did. AA and TA would not forward it either. So, everyone using AA needs to know to recheck guns when switching to another airline no matter what the AA agent at the counter says.

Info from email with Gracy:

"I do recommend claiming in Dallas and JNB since you have time. It is confusing. In my opinion even though it is more of a hassle to claim and recheck your bag in Dallas and JNB, you have a better chance of your guns making it all the way if you do." (I, Scott, would add that the AA policy requires a recheck when switching airlines with a gun.)

"Qatar and SA Airlink do have a baggage agreement and can through check your bags and guns, however, I have found it better to claim and recheck for a better experience."

"The return is another story since SA Airlink can through check your bags to Dallas and then you will clear customs there and hand them back in to American for your flight home."

So, it seems I will recheck my bags in Dallas and JNB on the way to Africa. On the way home, I will check them all the way through from Maun through JNB to Dallas and after Customs in Dallas, I will recheck them on AA to Denver.

Hope this helps you guys as well. If you hear something different, please let me know so we can compare notes.

Flew this and another route on Qatar in 2018 and 2019. If you want to call to discuss, just PM and and will send you contact info. Great airlines and flights broken up nicely so no 15 hour long haul. I will be departing for Costa Rica for a week of fishing 2/10-2/17, but available otherwise. Happy hunting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zzonexosotruyenthong

Latest profile posts

jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with
Grz63 wrote on Cecil Hammonds's profile.
Greetings from Clermont -ferrand !!
We 'll visit Livingstone / Vic Falls for 3 days and 2 nights. Back to Mapcha by car, back to WDH with Airlink (grab my rifles and belongings) and the same day back to Frankfurt.
What do you mind from your own experience ? and your wife .? Did she appreciate ?
We already hunted Namibia in 2022, May for PG near Outjo for 8 days. Great country.
Thank you for your advises.
Philippe
Hello Cecil
I am Philippe from Center of France. I plan to hunt Zambezi with Zana Botes in 2026, Oct after a couple of days for PG in Namibia in his lodge. I will be with my wife. She is not really a huntress and we promised to go visit Vic Falls. I imagine to go to Caprivi by car , hunt there 7 days (for buff) and go by car to Vic falls (PH will bring back my rifle) . sorry I am required to write 2 messages
buckstix wrote on magnum308's profile.
yes ..please send me a copy ... buckstix@aol.com