Public Land Tag Draw

Bigreach

Reaction score
I'm from ky and never hunted outside of ky other than for things that do require not draw (hogs, turkey, deer). Until recently never really thought about public tags for elk, mule deer, bear, moose,caribou etc. Stuff that operate on a draw system. So I'm pretty unaware to how they work and figured many of you could shed some light on it for me. I'd really like to look into mule deer or elk draws for the near future probably be a few years before I can go for a bear, moose, caribou etc but would one day love to hunt Alaska for them. So my big questions are?

How does a draw work? (Can you only hunt certain areas, I've heard of points what does one need to do to get them just apply I assume)

Whats some of the easier hunts to draw?

For stuff like Big Horn that has high want but few tags is it better to apply now just to get points?

Is there states with over counter non-resident tags for some of the game previously mentioned (mainly elk, antelope, mule deer)

Sorry is a lot of this seems obvious I've just never looked into non-resident tags.

Different states have different draw rules.

Colorado works on a preference point draw for deer, elk, pronghorn, and bear. You get 1 point for each year that you don't draw. If the unit takes 10 points to draw a tag that is what you better have to draw that tag. There is zero chance that a person with 1 or 2 points will draw that tag in that unit.

Utah works on a preference point draw for general season deer tags and a enhanced bonus point system for limited entry deer units. The enhanced bonus point system is also used for limited entry elk, along with once in a lifetime tags such as bison, moose, rocky mountain goat, and sheep. The enhanced bonus point system gives every one a chance as long as there are more than 2 tags for a hunt. With two tags one goes for a general draw and the other one goes into a bonus point pool. It gets quite confusing, but a person can draw a tag for a very hard to draw tag with 0 points, and it happens every year bypassing those who have been waiting years.

Arizona is on a enhanced bonus point draw also for all of their animals but it defers from how Utah does it, it just gets confusing.

I haven't taken the time to figure out Wyoming's system yet but have a number of points for both deer and pronghorn.

As to where you can hunt, it is limited to the area that the tag is for. If you draw a tag for unit 3 you can not hunt in any of the surrounding units unless it is specified on the tag. Colorado has some deer units where you can hunt three or four different units, but that is specified in the draw and on the tag.
If you want to hunt out west for elk, Colorado has a lot of units that you can just go into the store and purchase a tag, at this time. They are talking about changing that. Utah has a cap on elk tag and most of the state you can only hunt for spike elk, there are any bull units but there is also a cap on those tags. Then there are the draw units for any bulls.

Arizona is all draw for elk, deer, pronghorn, and anything else almost.

For the ultimate hunts such as Rocky Mountain Bighorns, or Desert Bighorn, Colorado requires you to put in for a minimum of 3 years before you are even eligible to draw a tag. Then the points go to a bonus point pool and it is just the lucky applicant that draws that tag. Utah is the enhanced bonus point system as I explained but most wait 20+ years to hope that they draw.

It all gets quite confusing even for those of us that have been applying for 50+ years but we keep doing it.

This is one province.
We pay $4 for an entry here. One per draw per year with various restrictions.
each year you don't draw a tag you get a point.
Depends on species desired.
We have zones residents can hunt at 0 or 1.
Some Sheep zones 26 points. 27 years. -

Here is the draw summary for one zone for Bighorn Rams where world records are hunted.
999 - draws are buying 1 priority point

want to see how silly it is. There are two seasons with 4 tags (8)
Divide the applicants by the tags to get the number of years before you have a hope to see a tag.

1461 / 8 =

Some of these guys are arithmetically challenged or they are awaiting divine intervention.

Screenshot 2024-05-30 at 21.46.58.png

Screenshot 2024-05-30 at 21.47.48.png

Last edited:
TLDR-

Points are generally Not worth it, especially for sheep etc.

Save your money and pay for hunts.

OTC is for opportunities (generally not trophies) which are becoming less and less every year.

A number of states have non-resident OTC tags for black bear, and those are in areas where a lot of public land. One issue I've found is that a lot of the OTC options for pronghorn and deer are in units with primarily private land, and sometimes that can be tough to get access to.

There's too much here to really get into it too much.

I've been putting in for western states draws for about 18-19 years, since my early 20s. I've drawn a few good tags, but I'm still waiting on many others. I apply for draws in 7 different western states, and generally put in for about 35-38 different tags a year. I have never added it up, but I think I lose somewhere over $1500-2000 a year in non-refundable licenses, point costs, etc.

I've drawn 3 world class elk tags in that time period. And some lesser elk and mulie and pronghorn tags. Still hoping and dreaming of drawing a sheep tag, but the reality is I may NEVER draw a sheep tag.

Every state has a different system. Points are not the same. Some are preference (where the people with the most points are the only ones with any chance to draw), and some are bonus points (just additional names in the hat). Bonus points are obviously preferable.

If I could go back in time for 18 years, I would NOT apply for Arizona (preference points), Utah (very few non-resident tags), or Colorado (modified preference points). I'll never draw good hunts in those states probably, but I'm so invested at this point I have a hard time letting it go.

Honestly, if I really think about it, I'd not put in at all, and do what wildwilderness suggests and just save that money and have paid for hunts along the way. Unfortunately, drawing long shot tags is my ONLY chance to hunt things like bighorn and desert sheep.

Over the Counter tags (OTC) are generally not worth it unless you have private land lined up to hunt. Colorado used to have some good OTC hunts for archery elk, but it is PACKED now and not worth the tag cost anymore to wade through all the hunters to hunt pressured and spooked elk.

Tinker around with “Hunter’s Trailhead” and if you do draw a tag check into ONX maps on your phone it is a lifesaver. I have found Wyoming and Nebraska to be very non resident friendly.
But premium tags come at premium cost in dollars and years expended, so best of luck!

I’ve found that it’s really not worth it for someone who doesn’t live in a Western state or have deep pockets. I’ve been lucky once and drawn an Arizona elk tag (cow). OTC tags are more just a way to go hunting, but it’s typically very little shooting unless you know the area well. I lived in Arizona for 15 years and only did OTC because of how competitive draw tags are.

The process itself does vary by state, but typically it’s: pay for your draw tag early in the year (specific animal, specific dates, specific zone), draw occurs, get tags and buy license, hunt during your season/zone for the animal(s) allowed. However, it takes multiple draw cycles and/or bonus points to finally get drawn. I’ve put in for AZ tags about 6 times, drawn once, and I’ve put in for KY elk for 9 years and never been drawn.

I guess I shouldn't be as gloom and doom as my prior post suggests. One of those good elk tags I drew did result in this elk. Of course it took me 18 years and a dozen elk hunts to get one this good. But I had a lot of fun along the way and killed a few elk as well
Elk 2.jpeg

What things come down to is that if you want to hunt elk just go to a state that has over the counter tags.

Yes, the area you hunt will have other hunters but they also help by keeping the elk moving.

If you want to hunt mule deer find a spot that you can draw a tag with your first application, people do it every year. You don't need access to private property or a outfitter if you want to hunt them.

Since Sheep and I would assume Mountain Goat Tags are so hard to draw are there private land outfitters you can book through and skip the draw or do they still require the draw?

Since Sheep and I would assume Mountain Goat Tags are so hard to draw are there private land outfitters you can book through and skip the draw or do they still require the draw?
Any private land or auction tag in the US will be very expensive. A number of states do offer them.

Mountain Goats are relatively affordable in Alaska and Canada. $12-20k

You have to be specific when talking about Wild North American Sheep- there are 4 main ones and very different options for each.

Dall’s sheep used be be a “good deal” in AK but recent population declines has made it less so- you can still find hunts $20-25k but success rates have dropped. NWT had great success (helicopters legal) and Yukon was better than AK but their prices have gone up to reflect that $35-45k+

Stone Sheep you are looking to $65-100k + with success rates reflective of price. You used to be able to get a Fannin for less but they are catching on. Genetically a Fannin is basically a Dalls with some dark hairs to differing degrees

Bighorns ( Rocky Mt) have gone crazy in the L48 with such limited access. BC and Alberta used to have options but I haven’t kept up on the latest rates but are probably similar to a Stone hunt now. Used to get California subspecies for less than the Rocky but I think that is gone too.

Desert Bighorns have always been expensive, but recent conservation efforts in Sonora MX has kept the price steady the last decade at about $65k (plus or minus $10k depending) they do sell High fence hunts there for about $40-50k. Which is part of the state management plan - the ranchers have to release so many sheep per year to help the wild population, in return they get tags to sell hunts for both free range and HF.

The Deserts have the Nelsoni sub species in the US, the Mexicana sub species starts in southern AZ into Mexico- generally score higher more mass and the main one that is ranched. There is the weemsii on Baja CA, and one used to be called cremnobates but recent dna studies say it’s not really different, neither is the weemsii

Navigating the western states draw system, bonus points, and draw odds , can be a little daunting for a non- resident.
Another option, if you want a guided hunt, is an outfitter sponsored tag in Montana. It will up the odds for you.

Governors tags and auction tags and even some outfitters can get tags to sell but they are very expensive

Technically you can hunt sheep every year in Montana on the unlimited tags, but that is an extremely tough hunt and don't plan in being successful, and also plan on seeing more bears than sheep.

How does a draw work? (Can you only hunt certain areas, I've heard of points what does one need to do to get them just apply I assume)

Whats some of the easier hunts to draw?
Sorry in advance for the long winded response this only scratches the surface

The simplest answer to your question is every state is different and within some states different species are handled differently. You have random draw, bonus point, preference points, and several hybrid methods that do a combination of the above. Also, states can change how they do their draws and the percentages with no recourse to those who’ve been putting money into the pot for 15-20 years.

Some states will require you to purchase a non refundable license to apply (AK, AZ, ID, UT to name a few). Some states require you to prepay for every tag you’re applying for (ex Wyoming & New Mexico). Some you pay a set non-refundable fee then ding your card randomly if you draw and IF you’re card doesn’t go through you’re out that license. In others you buy a non refundable license and pay the entire tag cost up front. You’re in-turn out this money for a couple months (they make interest on your money) and they refund a portion of it when successful. To put this into perspective My total cost to apply in WY (Sheep, Moose, Goat, Bison + 1 for each super tag raffle) this year was a 1time payment of $15,014.20 (that didn’t include elk, deer or antelope since different date windows). My total cost to apply in NM was a 1time payment ($8216 excluding license, and habitat stamp). Thats just 2 states. At any given time during the draw windows, I’d venture to guess I’ve got 5-40k tied up. Like @bakerb said, I’ve never actually calculated out how much I don’t get back each year because I apply in most every state possible Alaska, California, Idaho, Washington, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Arizona, Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico, Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, Texas, Kansas, Iowa, and South Dakota, plus apply for most every raffle when it comes to sheep).

I’ve been applying in several of these states since 2005 when I was in my late teens, and most others since my early to mid 20’s gradually adding a state or two each year because of costs to apply. I now have a separate “Hunting Fund” bank account. This covers all my applications, and has the funds to cover any hunt I might draw. I add a little to this each year that goes above and beyond what I spend. I do this because I’m now at a point where I’m drawing 1-4 tags a year and can pretty much know what I’ll draw minus the random draw states. I’ve drawn some good tags and some Once in a Lifetime tags (no sheep). I have a draw strategy and treat each state and sometimes species within them differently which is reflective in the number of times I’ve hunted a specific species or state. My method isn’t perfect, it’s not all been successful, and I’ve made some costly mistakes, especially when states change a system (Colorado) but since 2012 I’ve never not hunted a western state. I’m far from rich, I did this all while either enlisted in the military or in college. I spend countless hours every year researching units, draw statistics, success, major events in a certain unit (fire, disease, etc) and am constantly tweaking my plan. This year and last year were both meant as “rest years” for the main western states and species. Meaning I didn’t intend on drawing a tag but if I did it’d be a whopper based on my choices for sub 1% chance of drawing since I was focusing on a couple tags elsewhere that had 40-80% chances drawing and I didn’t get drawn. Also didn’t see the biologist cutting tags in 1/2 after the application deadline, but before the draw not allowing me to change my choices.

To answer some specifics and a few tips from my trial and error ….
OTC is possible for elk in CO and ID (kinda) but you’re restricted to certain areas and units. We’ll see how long that lasts in both states since demand has gone up, and both populations and huntable areas have done the opposite. Both these states should be considered opportunity states and populations are managed for Hunter opportunity not trophies. Thats not to say a few studs aren’t killed each year but they’re very limited and normally killed by the same couple of hunters. If you just want to go Elk Hunting apply and when you’re not successful buy a OTC tag and go. I think these opportunities will sadly go away pretty soon for non residents.

There are states like Idaho that have guaranteed outfitter tags for certain units. Idaho guaranteed outfitter tags will also require you to book an outfitted/guided hunt. These are normally wilderness areas and from my last research starts around $7k with success rates normally 30-50%, even less if you’re looking for a mature animal. This was how I did my first Elk hunt, and many times offer the option to do multi species.

New Mexico has land owner vouchers, Utah has CWMU, and Colorado has RFW tags where you buy a voucher entitling you to buy said tag from the state that’s promised to that landowner for access, or herd management. You will pay a premium for landowner tags and many are controlled by outfitters which will require you to book a guided hunt. To put the outfitter tag price into perspective My last NM Elk tag was $773 through the draw in a world class area. A landowner voucher to allow purchasing of said tag in that area (5 day hunt) was over $50k (didn’t include the license, $773 tag fee, habitat stamp, or guide fees if you weren’t doing DIY), the Governors enhancement tag for that unit broke $100k (adds an extra 5 days to the hunt front or back) and the actual Governors Tag was $386k. Again none of those figures included your License, Tag, Habit Stamp, and guide fees if you went guided. Most of these landowner tags are now bought by outfitters so a guided elk hunt in a decent area (250-270 class bulls) is $9-12k. For a better area (270-300 class) $14-18k. When you want a reasonable chance at 300-330 $20-25k, and for and area that consistently produces 350+ class bulls you start talking costs of a new 4x4 Truck.

Overall, I see non-resident hunting opportunities getting tougher to come by as states are battling diminishing access and herd numbers. As they fight this they battle giving their residents the same opportunities which decreases the number of nonresident tags. This will drive the costs up on the guaranteed tag options which have long priced me out. I’m 14-19years on for most of the states mentioned and in my mid 30’s so have a hard time getting out knowing the vast majority of those with more points are older than I wish diminishing health and years left.

If I was 25+ year old and just looking at getting into this I’d only think short term 2-5year draw options. I’d save the money longterm and buy a tag like @wildwilderness suggested. My 5 year plan would be go OTC Elk in CO in a unit you can draw 1st Rifle or Muzzy with 2-5 points. I’d apply for Elk and Deer as well. Learn it a year or two in a row hunting OTC then draw a better tag during a better time period with less hunters. I’d also look at CO for Archery Antelope, or Wyoming for Rifle Antelope (once herd rebounds from the die off). I’d probably also look at Idaho since it’s First Come/First Serve in their portal for elk/deer. Bear would be OTC or I’d consider one of the Idaho or Canada guided options for $3-5k that have a relatively high success rate. If I had the money I’d also apply in the random draw states but most make you prepay everything or buy an expensive non refundable license.

I hate hunting a public lands
Why? I personally prefer it, especially compared to states where everything is leased land and pay to play. There’s always someone with more money than you

Yes there
Yes there are exceptions - as Mentioned Montana unlimited, there is a quota and success rates very low. But you could have an affordable DIY Sheep hunting experience!

You can move to AK and as a resident hunt Dalls sheep OTC (for now) every year. Success rates have dropped and less than half as many sheep are harvested than 10+ yrs ago….

You can move to BC, Yukon, NWT, Alberta and there is usually an option for OTC sheep hunts for residents in those Provinces. I’m not up on the exact options, or immigration requirements to gain residency though.

If someone really loved sheep hunting that’s what I would recommend- move to British Columbia!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jubrin023

Latest profile posts

DEAR SIR/MADAM,
DO YOU NEED FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE TO ENLARGE YOUR BUSINESS?
WE HELP INDIVIDUALS AND COMPANIES TO OBTAIN FINANCE FOR BUSINESS
EXPANDING AND TO SETUP A NEW BUSINESS RANGING ANY AMOUNT. GET FINANCE AT AFFORDABLE INTEREST RATE OF 3% contact us Pacific landing Whatsapp +91, Seven, Three, 0, Three, Three, Eight, Two, Six, Three, One
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?