Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
PHASA
Hunted
Europe, America, Canada, Africa
Proper position on sticks

The proper position on sticks is NOT a matter of personal opinion or comfort, it is purely a matter of geometry and application of forces in order to achieve a single purpose: reducing the movements of the barrel.

Tripod

Position of the rifle on the tripod
1727806207772.png

Incorrect
- A rifle positioned on the sticks toward the middle of the stock will amplify the effect of the shooter's body movements on the barrel movements. It creates a central pivot point that allows the rifle to swing freely in every direction (right/left, up/down)*.

* we are not discussing here rifle-vise heavy tripods capable of carrying the entire weight of the rifle for sniping duties, but lightweight hunting tripods.
1727806320510.png

Correct - A rifle positioned on the sticks toward the end of the stock will minimize the effect of the shooter's body movements on the barrel movements. Observe that the same body sway as illustrated in both positions, results in a significantly smaller barrel movement in the correct position than it does in the incorrect position. This is purely a result of geometry.

Position of the hands when using the tripod
1727806447770.png

Incorrect
The forend hand risks being cut under recoil by the sling stud, and the forend hand will kick the sticks out of alignment, and possibly down, during recoil with heavy-recoil DG calibers.
1727806486723.png

Correct – The forend hand is protected by the sticks from the sling stud, and can recoil up with the rifle without kicking the sticks out of alignment during recoil.

Position of the feet when using the tripod
1727806602583.png

Incorrect
- The feet aligned with the center of the tripod do not provide a stable support triangle and will induce sideways body sway.

1727806653795.png

Correct - The feet positioned to form a wide support triangle with the tripod center will reduce sideways body sway. This is purely a result of geometry.

Angle of the body when using the tripod
1727806743705.png

Incorrect
A straight back balancing on the legs does not stabilize the shooter’s body and induces sway.
1727806793223.png

Correct – Leaning forward heavily on the tripod stabilizes the shooter’s body and reduces sway. By leaning on the tripod, the shooter rests the upper body weight against it and reduces the upper body movements. This is purely a result of gravitational forces application.

Quadpod (Quad Sticks)

The quadpod offers a significant advantage compared to the tripod. While the tripod supports only the front end of the rifle, allowing the rear end to sway with the body of the shooter, the quadpod supports both front and rear ends of the rifle, eliminating sideways sway entirely.

However, frontward/backward sway is still mechanically possible and the feet positions must be different from those of the tripod position to mitigate it.

1727807545591.png

Incorrect - Feet positioned in a box with the quadpod legs will induce forward/backward body sway and will cause the rifle to tilt downward/upward as the quadpod pivots on the two points where the four legs join.

1727807666258.png

Correct - Feet positioned in line with the rifle and in a triangle with the quadpod legs will reduce forward/backward body sway and rifle tilting down/up. This position is the opposite of the correct position with the tripod, because the quadpod allows forward/backward sway. This sway is limited by the shooter's feet being positioned in the front/back axis, while sideways sway is eliminated by the quadpod front and rear support.

This is why the "quadpod with a fifth leg", the quintpod to call it correctly, provides additional mechanical stability because its fifth leg, illustrated here under in yellow under the front of the rifle, prevents the quadpod from rocking forward/backward on the two pivot points where the four legs join.

The drawback for the quintpod total lateral and longitudinal stability is a slower deployment and the awkwardness of adjusting the quintpod position once deployed.

1727807970255.png

Best stability but slow deployment - the fifth leg (yellow) of the quintpod adds longitudinal stability to the quadpod lateral stability.

Final words...

Regular practice is critical, and shooting form is not acquired only with expensive-to-shoot hunting rifles. A good quality .22 LR will provide all the shooting form training required, directly translatable to center fire rifles.

A well practiced shooter will reliably shoot 2 MOA from quad sticks, which translates in hunting ethically the smallest of big game with a 6" vital area out to 300 yards from the sticks.

If the shooter is taller than about 5'15" or 5'16", adjust this as necessary (@Bob Nelson 35Whelen and I are both 5'18" tall, and I know there are a few others ;) )
1727963779260.png

With legs all the way extended on my Bog Pod, I have to pull the feet of it to where they're no farther than 2 or 2.5' apart. That isn't a stable enough base to put much weight on.

Something I didn't see mentioned - no bending at the waist to get "down" to the sticks. I brought this up a couple days ago on another thread - if you're bending at the waist, you're relying on mostly pretty weak muscle groups (abs and lower back) to hold yourself steady. All the brilliant advantage-taking of the body mechanics indicated above get completely thrown out the window if you're bending at the waist.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
diuwingame

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]