PROPER Marksmanship Training

Just for my understanding of the prices.
What was the average price for a box of 25 shell, trap ammo, before and now?
What was the price of 20 round box, FMJ, 308 win for example, before and now?
Same for 9x19, FMJ?
Most commonly used ammo types.

At my place, prices went up, about 60% and in same cases 100%. But generally 60% as a rule.

Now new retail prices, cca, as sample
the cheapest.
9x19 - per round 0.40 eur (40 euro cents)
223 rem fmj (bulk pack, 50) - per round 0.80 Eur (80 euro cents)
308 fmj, pack 20 rounds, per round 1.7 eur
12 GA, trap shell, 0.55 Eur
 
During the Summer in Minnesota I spend at least one day a week at the range. I only shoot Mid week I find that the more serious shooters show up then and the weekends are for the Cowboys
 
Pre-COVID at the club we could buy a box of 12 gauge #8 (Remington STS or Winchester AA) for $7.50 a box (and have reloadable hulls). Now we only have Gun Club, Diana, or Fiocchi for $9 a box (and those hulls are sh*t for reloading). I don't even want to get into the sub-gauge shell prices. Us skeet guys are paying $20 for a box of 28 gauge and $24 for .410 per box. We have so few sub-gauge skeet shooters anymore at those prices that it's been 12s and 20s dominating the fields.
 
Where did you hunt in Europe? Only the countries with the German hunting traditions are known for their shooting. The French seem to be accepted as generally some of the worst shots everywhere I’ve hunted (even in Europe) and Eastern Europeans are known for accidental discharges.
I would tend to agree with that observation.
The German's and the Scandinavians are regarded as top of the class.
The French are seen as quite lacking, on hunting safety and good shooting.
 
With current price of ammo and scarcity of components (especially primers!) I suspect a lot of pay-to-play ranges are probably in trouble. My trap club is about done for. These days doing a lot of shooting at the range really is not feasible for many working guys with families. Besides the expense, it's hard to find the time if they have to work a couple of jobs just to pay rent. The times they are a changing!
Every time I go to the range (twice a week, not weekends) people are lined up to get pistol/rifle bays. Sporting clays side is reasonably busy as well. When I go for competitions on the weekends the wait times are even worse. I never practice on weekends.

So, I think it depends on the location.

In regard to affordability, guys working two jobs to pay rent are not buying guns or taking hunting trips to Africa. They definitely are not participating in shotgun sports which are more expensive due to cost of clays, ammo etc.. That is the wrong demographic to talk about in this sport.
 
Safari and shooting sports in my personal view are matter of sorting out priorities in life.
Good rifle with scope will cost as plains game safari. generally.
There was a thread how people pay for safari.
Many drive second hand cars for years, and save money planning in advance. My guess, this is also a way how to buy guns. Same thing, priorities and planning.

Speaking of trap ammo, I know I am using it. So, when there is a chance to buy on discount or from a person, i Buy in quantity.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,370
Messages
1,574,384
Members
170,028
Latest member
UteBzb1171
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top