Project Goal: Ruger No1 in 460WBY for Speer AGS Tungsten Solids

DrBob,
If you ever wish to be a Knight of the Square Table of King Four Five Eight Winchester Magnum,
we'll have to call you Sir Robert or Sir Bridges, since we already have our most senior member called Sir Bob.
Sir Toby already has a chair there with his Sir Name on it.

Amen to the Hodgdon Extreme powders, all of them from H4198 through VARGET,
all having excellent TBI (Thermo Ballistic Independence).
BENCHMARK is probably the best, so it is designated as the benchmark for load testing to eliminate temperature considerations.

Since 2016, the ball powders AA-2230 and AA-2460 have been reformulated for excellent TBI also.
They are very close to the same powder, IMHO, AA-2230 is a form of AA-2460 in which the little spheres have been flattened to make them burn just a little faster and pack into a smaller space.

Lots of great new powders and old, stick and ball, I use AA-5744 for max loads with light bullets,
and CFE 223 for max loads with heavy bullets.

IMR 8208 XBR has been proven excellent too. Too many excellent powders to shake a stick at,
Alliant Power Pro line, etc.

H4895 may be the most flexible for use in the widest range of loads.
From +60% LR reduced loads to +110% compressed after drop tube use.

As a stunt, I started with the Maximum .458 Lott load in the Woodleigh manual for their 400-gr PPSN,
for use in the .458XL/.458 WM+, so sure am I of the King of Cartridges' capabilities:

WBZ-001.jpg

WBZ-002.JPG

WBZ-003.JPG

WBZ-004.jpg

And that reminds me of the .458/404-gr Shock Hammer by Hammer Bullets, developed by Square Table request to Hammer Bullets.
It can be driven at 2500-2600 fps in the .458 WM+/.458XL, at COLs of 3.38" to 3.58", depending on the PDR trough used to crimp it (PDR stands for Parabolic Drag Reduction drive bands, of sinusoidal shape with peaks and troughs). G1 BC is about 0.419.
It can also be loaded at 3.28" COL minimum in 2.5" brass, or 3.58" maximum COL in 2.8" brass.
Two of our Knights have taken cape buffalo with one shot kills with that bullet at +2500 fps MV with 2.5" brass and COL of 3.48" or 3.58", non-Norma brass.
3.48" COL in Norma brass is equivalent to 3.58" COL in the other makes, listed above, for net capacity.
The 404-gr Shock Hammer is a great deer bullet too.

CEB has a brass FN Safari Solid, either 400 grains or 450 grains your choice.
Match it to your soft point, your choice.

Last edited:
It's possible, I just thought it was odd they wouldn't even discuss reasons. Safety? Capabilities? Was it caliber choice? Don't work on Rugers? Just don't wanna? Oh well.
No, its a fact. David Fricke of Lehigh bought SSK from JD, it was a strange sell out, and even with that the name had to be changed from SSK Industries to now SSK Firearms. There was a deal made with a fellow that wanted a 416 Whisper done on a AR 10, this was done with JD, when JD sold the project was still ongoing, COVID hit, parts, and everything else became hard to come by, everything slowed down. The fellow paid half down on the project, and by the time everything was finished he stated he was in a nursing home and could not take the rifle regardless, wanted his $$ refunded. Fricke stated after that the Custom Gun buisness was just too much trouble, and they would no longer build custom rifles, period. They are busy chambering contender barrels now. Fricke also sold Lehigh to Bill Wilson, I am not a great Wilson fan either, however, it seems Wilson is doing a much better job with the Bullets than Fricke could. I was never a fan of Fricke from back in the beginning of B&M and Lehigh, through JD we managed to get some decent .500 caliber bullets done for my various .500 caliber cartridges, however it was a major pain in the #ss, and wait times of 6 months or more. Not suitable, this took me to working direct with CEB and North Fork, where we accomplished great things for all of us. I had made the B&Ms proprietary to SSK Industries because of the quality work that Brian Alberts did at SSK, and Brian could work miracles with big bore rifles, period. When Fricke bought SSK he wanted to make nice with me, keep B&M under the banner. With Brian Alberts on board I agreed, made nice, but stipulated that B&M went where Brian went, end of story. Not long after that Fricke screwed all of us with his Custom Gun Ban......

Make no Mistake, SSK Firearms IS NOT SSK Industries, but a bastardarzation of............ SSK Industries no longer exists, and the expertise of JD Jones is no more.

You misunderstood my saying it's a possibility for saying it's possible that they sold instead of it's possible on the timeline of when I inquired.
There's a lot of possibility here. Could it be possible that a person may not understand what possibly could be a possibility or any and all of the possibilities? Seems entirely feasible. :A Popcorn: :A Tease:

There's a lot of possibility here. Could it be possible that a person may not understand what possibly could be a possibility or any and all of the possibilities? Seems entirely feasible. :A Popcorn: :A Tease:
I suppose, taken as stated, that might be "possible"............ :unsure:

@Forrest Halley
That's definitely a possibility of a maybe
Bob

OMG.......... This is "Impossible"........... Enough...........

Well, that's my goal. I have a Ruger No 1 in 458 Lott and love it, but kinda want a bit more horsepower. It's a novelty for sure. I also have 50 of the African Grand Slam Tungsten core 500gr Speer projectiles that I have been saving for this project.
I've seen Rugers rechambered to 460 Weatherby, but have been unsuccessful in finding a gunsmith to perform the work to my rifle. The ones I've seen have been the blued/walnut variety which is pretty, but I like the tropical versions better.

So, anybody have recommendations on who in the states can do the conversion? It would have to be rechambered and the extractor work done.

View attachment 584387View attachment 584388View attachment 584389

All points have been argued. I’m ready for the ruling…

Pics of newly converted rifle and range report please.

The places which require specific modification in the No. 1 to accommodate the 500 NE 3” cartridge - removal of steel - are the extractor and the breech block feed ramp. The locking shoulders on the action and the depth - front to back dimension - of the breech block, which determine lock up, remain unchanged from factory specs. Obviously the thickness of the barrel wall is determined by the chamber dimensions of the 500 NE 3”, but the thickness of the action where the threaded barrel tenon engages is unchanged.

The 500 NE 3” is a relatively low chamber pressure cartridge - <45K psi - compared to many of the more modern bottle neck cartridges being discussed as safe in the No. 1. This is especially true of the large bore Weatherby cartridges.

I’m waiting for a finishing reamer to arrive to finish the chamber in the 500 NE 3” No. 1 I’ve put together. Testing will start with the practice loads I developed in a couple of Krieghoff DRs and hopefully eventually result in full power 570 grain solids in the 2150 fps range.

Ideally I would start with a new reamer for 2.7"-length brass superimposed on the SAAMI .458 Winchester Magnum chamber, use it in .375 H&H action length.
I would call that one the .458 Watts Winchester II.
.458 WWII.
WWII-era origin for the .450 Watts Magnum, incubated from 1939 to 1949.
Gestation interrupted by WWII.
Would be interested to read what you have to say about the following cartridges already developed:

450 Watts
450 Ackley

458 Express (3”)

1tufgun I think.

Found it:

None of these look exactly like fun to shoot. A friend was asked to zero a No1 in 416 Rigby. He remarked it wasn’t pleasant. However I fired a couple of rounds out of a Model 70 in 416. It was ok.

I came here asking for gunsmith recommendations to achieve said goal, and 8 pages later...zero leads.

Anyone know a smith with a .460 reamer? Just be that and open the extractor for the most part, assuming screw holes aren’t too deep etc.
Can’t imagine it a difficult task.

Anyone know a smith with a .460 reamer? Just be that and open the extractor for the most part, assuming screw holes aren’t too deep etc.
Can’t imagine it a difficult task.
Call around locally for a smith that re-chambers. They don't have to chase a reamer, this is a common enough cartridge that they can rent it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WildaDambr

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!