Priming 470 N.E.

I’ve found the same with my 9.3x74R Norma brass. Few cases were so tight that I stopped with primers seated half way, I was not willing to apply any more pressure for fear of detonation. The 470 brass I’ll be using is from factory rounds I shot so hopefully the pockets won’t be so tight.

What did you use to expand the primer pockets?
I too have found this with Norma brass, in .270win, .375H&H and in .308. They seem to make them pretty tight as standard, so if you use primers which are on the larger size (Federal as an example) they're really tight to seat.

I just use an RCBS hand primer, do it outside and wear safety glasses, but it is a lot of force to apply to the primer and a touch fraught (I never had one detonate though). CCI primers will work much better on that first firing as they're a little smaller in outer dimension.

At least they loosen to an acceptable level after 1x firing and the brass quality is really good, so I tolerate the inconvenience.

Back to the question at hand; a hand priming tool that uses standard shellholders is the answer. I had an RCBS one that came in a rockchucker kit, but they're all much of a muchness and work just fine.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,396
Messages
1,574,994
Members
170,209
Latest member
SheenaShin
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top