Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa
I got fed 215m but they had some others as well for those of you needing some-get em while they are avaialble! Good luck!

Gone at 10:05 MDT

I'm not a reloader, but thinking about starting (mainly because of ammo shortages and not being able to get preferred projectiles in a certain caliber).

I would appreciate a brief education about what primers are most common/helpful for typical big bore African calibers (375, 416, 458, 470, 500, etc.) and if one particular brand would be preferred over another, and why. I assume you cannot just mix a different primer to an existing load that you've worked up, guessing you have to start over with load development if you can't get the same primer?

In other words, if I want to think about stock-piling a few primers just to ensure I'll have them for the future, what am I looking for?

Also, do they have a shelf life, and if so how long before they need to be replaced, and is the shelf life different if they're still just a component, vs. already loaded into a completed cartridge?

I'm not a reloader, but thinking about starting (mainly because of ammo shortages and not being able to get preferred projectiles in a certain caliber).

I would appreciate a brief education about what primers are most common/helpful for typical big bore African calibers (375, 416, 458, 470, 500, etc.) and if one particular brand would be preferred over another, and why. I assume you cannot just mix a different primer to an existing load that you've worked up, guessing you have to start over with load development if you can't get the same primer?

In other words, if I want to think about stock-piling a few primers just to ensure I'll have them for the future, what am I looking for?

Also, do they have a shelf life, and if so how long before they need to be replaced, and is the shelf life different if they're still just a component, vs. already loaded into a completed cartridge?

I suggest that you pick up a loading manual for the type of bullets that you want to shoot and take a look at it. Each load will show what primer that they recommend.

I personally have always used CCI 250's for all of my rifles except for the ones that require the smaller primer. The Federal 215's that are mentioned here are on the interchange list for the CCI's. For the most part it is personal preference. My largest rifle that I load for is a 340 Weatherby where most of the loading books suggest the Federal 215 primer but I just use the CCI's.

If primers are stored properly, in a cool dry place in their origional cartons they will last quite a while. I am still shooting some out of my pistols that are 30+ years with no ill effect.

It's mainly personal preference, but there are some things to note such as.......

1. Certain load data will state "Large Rifle Primer" when you actually need a Large rifle Magnum primer. I learned this when loading .257Wby and had hang fires while using standard large rifle primers and I switched to magnum primers and problem was solved.

2. Federal 215 Large Rifle Magnum primers are generally considered the gold standard for big bore loads, although I personally prefer Winchester Magnum Rifle primers.

3. The shelf life of primers is dependent on storage conditions; if you store them in an airtight container and climate controlled area then they will last decades.

Personally when I get a load of primers I vacuum seal the 1,000ct boxes and then store them in 50cal ammo cans in a bedroom closest.

I use Federal 215 for the calibers you list. shelf life is really immaterial as long as they are stored always at room temperature

You should get some LRM primers. I have used CCI 250, CCI 34, Winchester LRM and Remington. All are good primers and key is unless you are match shooting you won’t see the difference neither will the animal

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BellaLaing

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Shaker Crew | Kids Sweatshirt
https://www.braveactiveco.com/products/knit-sweatshirt
Comfortable and premium quality Knit Sweatshirt. Our Knit Sweatshirt is crafted with our exquisite recycled fabric, ensuring a soft and lightweight feel.
John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia