Primers at midway!

Firebird

AH legend
Joined
May 16, 2017
Messages
3,857
Reaction score
11,492
Location
Utah
Media
412
Articles
1
Hunting reports
Africa
3
USA/Canada
6
Hunted
South Africa
I got fed 215m but they had some others as well for those of you needing some-get em while they are avaialble! Good luck!
 
Gone at 10:05 MDT
 
cci #250 are still there
 
I'm not a reloader, but thinking about starting (mainly because of ammo shortages and not being able to get preferred projectiles in a certain caliber).

I would appreciate a brief education about what primers are most common/helpful for typical big bore African calibers (375, 416, 458, 470, 500, etc.) and if one particular brand would be preferred over another, and why. I assume you cannot just mix a different primer to an existing load that you've worked up, guessing you have to start over with load development if you can't get the same primer?

In other words, if I want to think about stock-piling a few primers just to ensure I'll have them for the future, what am I looking for?

Also, do they have a shelf life, and if so how long before they need to be replaced, and is the shelf life different if they're still just a component, vs. already loaded into a completed cartridge?
 
I'm not a reloader, but thinking about starting (mainly because of ammo shortages and not being able to get preferred projectiles in a certain caliber).

I would appreciate a brief education about what primers are most common/helpful for typical big bore African calibers (375, 416, 458, 470, 500, etc.) and if one particular brand would be preferred over another, and why. I assume you cannot just mix a different primer to an existing load that you've worked up, guessing you have to start over with load development if you can't get the same primer?

In other words, if I want to think about stock-piling a few primers just to ensure I'll have them for the future, what am I looking for?

Also, do they have a shelf life, and if so how long before they need to be replaced, and is the shelf life different if they're still just a component, vs. already loaded into a completed cartridge?

I suggest that you pick up a loading manual for the type of bullets that you want to shoot and take a look at it. Each load will show what primer that they recommend.

I personally have always used CCI 250's for all of my rifles except for the ones that require the smaller primer. The Federal 215's that are mentioned here are on the interchange list for the CCI's. For the most part it is personal preference. My largest rifle that I load for is a 340 Weatherby where most of the loading books suggest the Federal 215 primer but I just use the CCI's.

If primers are stored properly, in a cool dry place in their origional cartons they will last quite a while. I am still shooting some out of my pistols that are 30+ years with no ill effect.
 
I'm not a reloader, but thinking about starting (mainly because of ammo shortages and not being able to get preferred projectiles in a certain caliber).

I would appreciate a brief education about what primers are most common/helpful for typical big bore African calibers (375, 416, 458, 470, 500, etc.) and if one particular brand would be preferred over another, and why. I assume you cannot just mix a different primer to an existing load that you've worked up, guessing you have to start over with load development if you can't get the same primer?

In other words, if I want to think about stock-piling a few primers just to ensure I'll have them for the future, what am I looking for?

Also, do they have a shelf life, and if so how long before they need to be replaced, and is the shelf life different if they're still just a component, vs. already loaded into a completed cartridge?

It's mainly personal preference, but there are some things to note such as.......

1. Certain load data will state "Large Rifle Primer" when you actually need a Large rifle Magnum primer. I learned this when loading .257Wby and had hang fires while using standard large rifle primers and I switched to magnum primers and problem was solved.

2. Federal 215 Large Rifle Magnum primers are generally considered the gold standard for big bore loads, although I personally prefer Winchester Magnum Rifle primers.

3. The shelf life of primers is dependent on storage conditions; if you store them in an airtight container and climate controlled area then they will last decades.

Personally when I get a load of primers I vacuum seal the 1,000ct boxes and then store them in 50cal ammo cans in a bedroom closest.
 
I'm not a reloader, but thinking about starting (mainly because of ammo shortages and not being able to get preferred projectiles in a certain caliber).

I would appreciate a brief education about what primers are most common/helpful for typical big bore African calibers (375, 416, 458, 470, 500, etc.) and if one particular brand would be preferred over another, and why. I assume you cannot just mix a different primer to an existing load that you've worked up, guessing you have to start over with load development if you can't get the same primer?

In other words, if I want to think about stock-piling a few primers just to ensure I'll have them for the future, what am I looking for?

Also, do they have a shelf life, and if so how long before they need to be replaced, and is the shelf life different if they're still just a component, vs. already loaded into a completed cartridge?
I use Federal 215 for the calibers you list. shelf life is really immaterial as long as they are stored always at room temperature
 
You should get some LRM primers. I have used CCI 250, CCI 34, Winchester LRM and Remington. All are good primers and key is unless you are match shooting you won’t see the difference neither will the animal
 
@SStomcat , @Rare Breed , @deewayne2003 , @JimP

Thank you to all, the willingness of the members on this forum to share their knowledge and experience is one of the things that makes it the best forum around. This information is exactly what I was needing, and I'll put it to work right away.

I don't know if we'll see more shortages, but at this point I think we've all learned that it's very much possible, and the ability to lay in a lifetime supply and not have to worry about it is very comforting.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,427
Messages
1,575,926
Members
170,480
Latest member
vastecautevane
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top