Press for Loading .460 Weatherby

Jim Golden

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hi Gang,

I just loaded some .460 Weatherby Magnum rounds in my old trusty RCBS Rock Chucker Press. The .458 Lott I loaded in it was pushing it, but the .460 Roy was really too long for this press. I had to stick the bullet up into the die with my right hand, then feed the case into the shell holder with my left, let the bullet fall down to touch the mouth, and then use the ram to seat the bullet.

I need a taller press.

What do you guys recommend? I know RCBS makes a taller single stage. That would probably be fine for me. But should I look at a progressive or other type press?

I will admit that my big Enfield A-Square Hannibal project (my second one) that I was going to build as a .458 Lott (but was originally going to do it as a .460 Weatherby) I'm now leaning toward going back to the .460. It's a real monster and hard to argue its ballistics. The Lott is a good round...but I don't see anything it does that the Weatherby doesn't do better. Other than magazine capacity. But with the A-Square clone, I can get three in the mag box and one in the chamber....I think four is enough.

But anyway, I'm looking at getting a new press. The old Rock Chucker has been good stuff for many years...but I need a taller one for these big rounds. What do you guys recommend?

Thanks,
Jim

Yeah, the Rock Chucker is a bit too small.. I put my case in the shell holder, and then guide bullet into the seater die, before setting it down onto the case mouth. This is for the 404J, which is a little bit shorter than the 460, but not much.

A bit annoying, but then again, I can live with that, given the actual amount of cartridges I make in a sitting. Usually less than 20.

If you want to go bigger, you should probably check out the "50 BMG"-capable presses. Both RCBS and Redding have them, and I suspect others do too.

Both the Lee Classic Cast press and the RCBS Ammo Master .50 BMG press are more than capable of loading a case of this size and length.
The RCBS has a frame opening of almost 7 inches, but minus the ram and shell holder height, you have roughly 6 inches. The Lee Classic Cast/50 BMG press has a frame opening of just over 5 inches, minus the ram and shell holder height.

Both have more than adequate frame opening for loading a 460 Weatherby.

The real difference is price.

The RCBS has an msrp of $976

The Lee has an MSRP of $180

I have one of each, and While the RCBS gathers dust, I use the Lee.

Here is a pic of my Lee Cast press with a factory loaded Norma 450 Rigby in the frame. The Rigby is the same as your Weatherby, minus the magnum belt.
IMG_20240713_191136443.jpg

Both the Lee Classic Cast press and the RCBS Ammo Master .50 BMG press are more than capable of loading a case of this size and length.
The RCBS has a frame opening of almost 7 inches, but minus the ram and shell holder height, you have roughly 6 inches. The Lee Classic Cast/50 BMG press has a frame opening of just over 5 inches, minus the ram and shell holder height.

Both have more than adequate frame opening for loading a 460 Weatherby.

The real difference is price.

The RCBS has an msrp of $976

The Lee has an MSRP of $180

I have one of each, and While the RCBS gathers dust, I use the Lee.

Here is a pic of my Lee Cast press with a factory loaded Norma 450 Rigby in the frame. The Rigby is the same as your Weatherby, minus the magnum belt.
View attachment 619541
Hard to argue $180!

I’ve the RCBS Rebel and it’s only a 4.59” opening, but it works for my 300 Wby & 416 Rem.

However, at $180 bucks that Lee press looks like a bargain.

I load my 450 Rigby with the RCBS Summit, which works quite good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BettyeWood

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.