Premium-Quality Scope for New .375 Double?

Tom Leoni

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
NRA (Life), True Green Alliance
Hunted
USA, Finland, Canada, Africa, Greenland
OK, so I'm finally getting a brand-spanking-new rifle--somewhat reluctantly because until now I've loved and used only fine vintage pieces. Heck, in a way I feel like I'm losing my innocence.

I'd like some advice as to which scope to put on it. I'd like to go with one of the premium brands.

I'll use the rifle out to (at most) 300 yards and I don't foresee any use on dangerous game except buffalo. The lower the power, the better--I don't see myself using any magnification beyond 6x. Fixed would be nirvana.

The reason why I'm asking here is that it seems difficult to find a new scope that doesn't have massive turrets, big magnification range, large objectives, and a host of gadgety features like multiple reticles, illuminated this and that, increasingly-large tube sizes (as if you needed the elevation range of a howitzer), etc., etc. I just want premium glass, reliable adjustment, discrete lines and looks that doesn't clash with the sleek lines of a double. And all things being equal, I love my German-made glass with them premium logos on it! :Pompus:

The one I am nudging toward is the Swarovski Z8i 1-8x24--and even this has too many bells and whistles for me. Too bad the Z6i has been discontinued--and doubly too bad I can't find a fixed version of that scope.

Any advice?

Schmidt Bender makes a nice 1-8 hunting scope.

German optics. Swarovski is Austrian.

I also have a 1-6 Leupold vx6 , a very nice light scope as well. The lighter the scope may be better on a double if it hasn't been regulated with one.

What type of double and when are you receiving it! Very exciting getting a double.

Last edited:
My Blaser S2 .375 barrels wear a Swarovski Z6i 1x6x24. Lean clean scope that for my purposes with such a rifle is perfect. At one power you have the equivalent of an aim point red dot, and fully adequate range of power for PG with a .375

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-01 at 11.42.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-01 at 11.42.52 AM.png
    492.9 KB · Views: 75
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-01 at 11.42.46 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-01 at 11.42.46 AM.png
    484 KB · Views: 69
Machinistbutler - It's a Chapuis. I expect to get it within the next 4-6 weeks. I don't think it will replace my primary rifle (the .375 Flanged Magnum in my profile pic), but it sure will be nice to have a new rifle with new optics and regulated for a factory load that I can find in most gun shops all over the world. The double I currently have is a .450 BPE--a lovely rifle but limited to open-sights only.

Red Leg - yes, the Z6i is a fantastic little scope and it looks and functions as close as it gets to what I want... They are getting hard to find though (I wonder why it was discontinued, except perhaps because of poor sales).

Machinistbutler - It's a Chapuis. I expect to get it within the next 4-6 weeks. I don't think it will replace my primary rifle (the .375 Flanged Magnum in my profile pic), but it sure will be nice to have a new rifle with new optics and regulated for a factory load that I can find in most gun shops all over the world. The double I currently have is a .450 BPE--a lovely rifle but limited to open-sights only.

Red Leg - yes, the Z6i is a fantastic little scope and it looks and functions as close as it gets to what I want... They are getting hard to find though (I wonder why it was discontinued, except perhaps because of poor sales).
Is it discontinued? https://www.eurooptic.com/swarovski-z6i-1-6x24-4-i-matte-black-69138-new.aspx

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-02 at 8.14.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-02 at 8.14.50 AM.png
    569.8 KB · Views: 58
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-02 at 8.14.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-02 at 8.14.52 AM.png
    590.7 KB · Views: 56
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-02 at 8.14.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-02 at 8.14.54 AM.png
    621.3 KB · Views: 71
I put a 1.1 to 5 stratos on my 375 flanged. I have used it to 300 on the steel at the range with no problems and at 1.1 with the reticle illuminated it functions like a red dot.

0CC0E43D-8A12-41E6-A732-C8DC5CD52229.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve got a Z6i and a z8i. There is no significant difference other than the magnification at the top end.
A 375 is incredibly versatile and deserves a versatile scope. Don’t handicap yourself with a fixed-power scope.

There is nothing complicated about either of them. Zero the scope and put the caps back on and you’ll never have to touch them until you change something. You don’t have to use the illuminated reticle if you don’t want but it couldn’t be any easier to use, just flip the switch to the right for bight light and left for low.

I have no idea about the use of either on doubles. But the Stratos 1.1-5x24mm is a pretty compact scope. This one was sent back to S&B, the push button illumination control was changed to the Zenith rotary type. I prefer the rotary controls. I definitely prefer the FD4 in this scope over the FD7 that it came with.
The FD7 reticle in the Zenith 1.1-4x24 I like lots. But in this Stratos 1.1-5x24 it presented a totally different image.
I do like the Swarovski 1-6x24 4i reticle. And other features of this scope.

Pictured is the unmounted Stratos 1.1-5x24mm FD4 with the Swarovski 1-6x24mm 4i reticle on a Ruger 30-06.

7D412B56-6236-48C1-AABF-403185415F44.jpeg

I have a 1/5x24mm, Leupold HD5 with standard duplex. I have mounted it,,but not shot/sighted in. But the optical view seems pretty dang good, and the reticle visibility seems good in low light.

Schmidt Bender makes a nice 1-8 hunting scope.

German optics. Swarovski is Austrian.

I also have a 1-6 Leupold vx6 , a very nice light scope as well. The lighter the scope may be better on a double if it hasn't been regulated with one.

What type of double and when are you receiving it! Very exciting getting a double.

If you can find one, the Leica Magnus 1-6.3x24mm is another outstanding scope.
I have the illuminated L4 reticle. My preference would be a tighter reticle window. But the non-illuminated dot itself is pretty visible. I really like the illumination range. I certainly rate it with the Schmidt & Bender and Swarovski. I really like this scope.

I have one on a 416 Ruger and it will definitely stay on this rifle. I have another that is probably going on a 375 Ruger.
Though I cannot find fault with the Kahles Helia C 1.1-4 x24mm that is presently on it.

I have the Swarovski Z6i 1.7-10x-42 BT on my 9.3x74R. I really like the turret as I can quickly get to whatever range I need without worrying about holdover or sighting in X" high at 100 yards for MBPR etc., etc..

Wow--some awesome suggestions. Thank you, because I haven't really kept up with scopes in the last 20 years or so. So, between the following:

Swarovski Z6i 1-6x24 or Z8i 1-8x24
Leica Magnus 1-6.3x24
Leica Amplus 1-6x24
Schmidt & Bender Zenith 1.1-4x24
Schmidt & Bender Stratos 1.1-5x24
Schmidt & Bender Exos 1-8x24
Leupold VX-6 1-6x24

Is there one that some of you would get (or NOT get) over the others? Thanks again for the help.

Edit: also, why no love for Zeiss so far? ;-)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Margareta9

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]