Practical loading during modern shortages

matt85

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, and Namibia
Spent a bit of time loading and produced a fresh batch of 8-bore 3.25" ammunition. With modern powder and bullets being incredibly rare these days, I've been shooting these black powder loads.

- 10 pieces of custom made 8-bore 3.25" brass
- 10 Winchester 209 primers
- 2700gr of Schuetzen FFg black powder
- 9000gr of scrap lead (cast into 85 caliber balls)
- a small amount of bees wax and beef tallow
- 10 Circle Fly 8g fiber cushion wads

(416 Rem Mag cartridge shown for scale)
IMG_20240629_222243232.jpg

IMG_20240629_222306134.jpg

That’s a really cool project gun & loads. Glad you found some good primers.
Primers were the most difficult part of these cartridges! I just scored a case of them from Grafs though, so I'm set for life.

2700gr :E Horrified:.....Ooh...so like around 270 grains per brass. Thought you were giving a whole new meaning to shoulder cannon and heavy recoil, along with a prelude to an ER report on excessive recoil.:ROFLMAO:

Please refresh me on the weight of your 8 bore.

I made a mistake once....ok twice once each barrel, by loading my each barrel of my double barrel 10 gauge shotgun with ~135 grains volume weight of FFg black powder pushing an 80 grain volume load of #8 shot. I very abruptly learned my limit on recoil after the first blast. Dreaded it but I did shoot the second barrel. Swearing never to do that again. My new max charge for deer, bear, and waterfowl is 80gr FFg.

Please refresh me on the weight of your 8 bore.

I made a mistake once....ok twice once each barrel, by loading my each barrel of my double barrel 10 gauge shotgun with ~135 grains volume weight of FFg black powder pushing an 80 grain volume load of #8 shot. I very abruptly learned my limit on recoil after the first blast. Dreaded it but I did shoot the second barrel. Swearing never to do that again. My new max charge for deer, bear, and waterfowl is 80gr FFg.
The gun is very heavy at 16.5 pounds or 7.5kg. The recoil is heavy, but it's not a painful gun to shoot. I have had many people shoot this "ball over black powder" load and most were willing to do it a second time :).

My favorite load is a 1200gr bullet over 67gr of Alliant Blue Dot. But I haven't been able to shoot this much due to a limited powder supply. However, I just scored 8lb of Blue Dot and now have a lifetime supply of smokeless powder for my 8-bore! :A Banana:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SRS 2024

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Sue Tidwell's profile.
Just finished your book (audio) and ordered a hardback for my Library. You did a wonderful job explaining the way conservation works in Africa, and my wife is interested in reading your book now. Thank you for your work.
Bluecyclone wrote on LES7's profile.
Hello there,
Could you tell me if your model 70 has two recoil lugs? I have heard some of the super express rifles had one, while the safari express has two.
Thank you.
Brant.
Saddlemaker wrote on Drexel64742's profile.
Hi Drexel, Would like to purchase your brass , Would a business check be fine?
overunderranger wrote on Stamp Collector's profile.
I'm interested in the 28 gauge Ruger, if you still have it.
Tanner wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I’m blown away the rifle hasn’t sold. I will take it!