Powder Burn Rate Comparison Charts

Sir in 34 years of reloading, that is the flattest primer I have ever seen. I'm not sure what the reloading data says, I would back of a lot. Like 4gr and see what you get.
Here's my source for the 300 gr 404J loads using IMR4895. Says start at 84 gr. I can't imagine running it up to max.
book-22-1.jpg

book-2.jpg

Hammer publishes their own load data. Here's their data for that 307 gr Stone Hammer
View attachment 633594

What was your COAL for those loads?

Remember, 404J was originally designed for RN, not Spitzers.
I pulled a bullet out to 3.565." The cartridge fed from the top of magazine but tip of bullet caught under the feeding ramp when other cartridges are stacked on top. I can remove a slight amount of metal from the receiver and the longer cartridges should feed. However, before resorting to that, I'm thinking I'll cut the powder load to 79 gr and see how the 307 gr bullets perform at SAMMI OAL.

Ah, I see! From Hammer's sheet it looks I am indeed way too hot at 84 gr. I'll have to look at my data sheet when I get home to see where I got the data for IMR4895 and 300 gr bullets. Can't get any more Accurate 4350 here so will have to work up a new load for 400 gr with another powder. Doesn't help that no one will sell powder more than a pound at a time ... and 404 cases soak up a LOT of powder.
If I understand, in Canada, your local area, retailers will sell only 1 pound of powder at a time?
That sucks.

If I understand correctly, the"burn rate" chart has nothing to do with how many grains of powder to use when switching from one powder to another. It would only be used as a guide as to what other powders may be suitable for the application. ALWAYS refer to tested/proven data for each specific powder/bullet combination when changing powders. At least use Quickload or similar software for comparison if such data is not available.
Well stated. Only reliably published reloading data, verified by chronograph.

My understanding, in an article published years ago in Handloader magazine, that Powder Burn Rate charts are determined within the same cartridge class, i.e. .308 Winchester and 7mm-08.
The Powder Burn rate charts are useful in the same cartridge family, and I use them, for instance, in determining an appropriate powder for the .308 Win. Have safely changed from IMR-4064 to Varget for example.

The comparisons of powder burn rate do not equate when changing cartridge class, case capacity/ bore size and expansion ratio. A 7mm Weatherby Mag burns powder at a different rate than a 7x57 Mauser.

You HAVE to go by published data and verify velocities with a chronograph.

I pulled a bullet out to 3.565." The cartridge fed from the top of magazine but tip of bullet caught under the feeding ramp when other cartridges are stacked on top. I can remove a slight amount of metal from the receiver and the longer cartridges should feed. However, before resorting to that, I'm thinking I'll cut the powder load to 79 gr and see how the 307 gr bullets perform at SAMMI OAL.
If you can get 2550 or 2600 out of that, I'd call it a day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArmyVet82ABN

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well
Looking for brass or reloads for 475noz2 Jefferies ammo. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Charles