Post your Pronghorn pictures

West Texas 1986

IMG_2381.jpeg

Not a great buck, I shot the wrong one in a herd of 10 or so bucks. Late in the season in Wyoming. He has a coat of ice on him, it was really foggy and with a temp of around 25 made for a surreal hunting experience.

Poor picture of a picture.
0570629A-1B56-47E8-81C1-FE847B669C65.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
My largest on the left killed in Wyoming and smallest on the right from Colorado. Both killed on public land DIY hunts. Killed the little guy with a 54. Hawken percussion muzzleloader at just over 50 yards. After days of blown stalks and never getting closer then 120 yards I couldn't resist such a chip shot. Have successfully hunted 3 states for pronghorn WY, CO, and OK looking to add NM to the list one day.
NM does grow some big pronghorns- so worth considering . But the state does not have even distribution of large numbers of states like Wyo.

They need good food for enough years to get big in addition to genetic potential. Plus, winter kill can take out huge swathes of pronghorns, especially in areas like NE NM, requiring years to rebuild. Some parts of CO and Wyo experienced such losses winter before last. That winter also hit older mule deer bucks hard.

Seems like areas of western and south central NM grow the biggest buck pronghorns but numbers are limited. World record killed there in, IIRC, 2013. Along with a similar monster in either 2011 or 2012?

NM does grow some big pronghorns- so worth considering . But the state does not have even distribution of large numbers of states like Wyo.

They need good food for enough years to get big in addition to genetic potential. Plus, winter kill can take out huge swathes of pronghorns, especially in areas like NE NM, requiring years to rebuild. Some parts of CO and Wyo experienced such losses winter before last. That winter also hit older mule deer bucks hard.

Seems like areas of western and south central NM grow the biggest buck pronghorns but numbers are limited. World record killed there in, IIRC, 2013. Along with a similar monster in either 2011 or 2012?
My family lives in Catron County, NM and in Northern Phoenix, AZ and you sir are right! NM and AZ bucks get huge compared the the bucks here in Colorado and Wyoming…
But again you are correct as the draw is much much harder and limited in comparison…

Not a great buck, I shot the wrong one in a herd of 10 or so bucks. Late in the season in Wyoming. He has a coat of ice on him, it was really foggy and with a temp of around 25 made for a surreal hunting experience.

Poor picture of a picture.View attachment 637721
He's still a nice buck. Sometimes the harder the hunt, the better the memories.

From this morning-a Utah CWMU doe tag. The landowner rode with us and was very pleasant. He likes that I shot her in the neck so I could keep the majority of the meat
IMG_0502.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IzettaScan

Latest profile posts

TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!
TAG SAFARI wrote on K31's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on davidg8480's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on Daven22s's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on bobdahunter84's profile.