Post your Pronghorn pictures

First big game animal hunted with my father in law a long time ago outside Moorcroft WY.
IMG_8028.jpeg

Hello skydiver386,

Indeed it is a real peach for animals of about that size, in conditions where shots of approximately 200 - 400 yards are typical.
There are other vintage - classic cartridges that likewise belong on the western prairies.
But I agree with you that the .257 Roberts is a dandy for same.
Likewise, over my longass lifetime, I’ve lost count of how many coyotes I’ve shot with this caliber, (mostly in Nevada and Soviet Occupied California).

For my grumpy old man way of thinking, nobody should start their young child out with a .243 on deer hunting.
At typical tree stand close range, the .257 with its slightly heavier bullet, breaks bones a wee bit more reliably.
And yet it shoots plenty flat for longer shots (such as with pronghorn and mule deer hunting).

If I was a big wheel with Remington, I would never have introduced the .244 - 6MM cartridge.
Instead, I would’ve pushed the .257 Roberts (and the 6.5x55 as well) vigorously.
But what do I know, some folks say I don’t know very much.:ROFLMAO:

Cheers,
Velo Dog.
I'm in full agreement with everything you said. The Savage Lady Hunter that Tina used on this hunt is the first center-fire firearm she purchased. She tried dozens of rifles, but spotted a used Lady Hunter in a gun shop in Florida, and instantly knew that was the gun she wanted. I advised a smaller caliber than the .308 Win of the used rifle in favor of the .257 Roberts. A call to the Savage Custom shop and a few weeks later she had her new rifle in hand. Hand loads that we made together have produced groups of less than half an inch. We have quite a few hunting trips planned, including a New Mexico Pronghorn hunt, so her little .257 will stay busy. :P Elmer Fudd:

Last edited:
My largest on the left killed in Wyoming and smallest on the right from Colorado. Both killed on public land DIY hunts. Killed the little guy with a 54. Hawken percussion muzzleloader at just over 50 yards. After days of blown stalks and never getting closer then 120 yards I couldn't resist such a chip shot. Have successfully hunted 3 states for pronghorn WY, CO, and OK looking to add NM to the list one day.
20241001_113201.jpg
20241001_113401.jpg
20230926_191433.jpg
20230923_074029.jpg
20230905_073425.jpg

IMG_1339.jpeg
IMG_0002.jpeg
I really need to get my older photos scanned and put them on my computer
Two Texas goats, Lt 17 1/2 inch, Rt 15 inch

I read that lots of pronghorn are taken off bipods. What makes them so dependent on bipod instead of tripod?

I’ve killed several over the years but the most memorable was with a Groves recurve, bare bow, cedar shaft arrow with Bear Razorhead. Burned my own fletching design for arrows. New Mexico public draw a loooong time ago. Have kept the back section of the arrow from that pronghorn all these years.

IMG_4005.jpeg

IMG_0035.jpeg
IMG_0037.jpeg

Last edited:
I read that lots of pronghorn are taken off bipods. What makes them so dependent on bipod instead of tripod?
Frequently you can low crawl several hundred yards closer without being seen. And generally the vegetation is low enough to shoot from the prone position.
Not to many years ago it was easy to get 6 tags each in Wyoming. I shot about 80% of 30+ antelope off my bipod.

Easy answer is terrain and vegetation, or lack of. Standing to shoot from sticks or a tripod, as most do in Africa, you'd spook that Pronghorn before you got off a shot.

A short bipod that attaches to the rifles front sling swivel stud allows you to shoot from the prone position, just high enough to clear the prairie grass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarmaStodd

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?