Post two of your favorite African hunting pictures

jimbo1972

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Post your two favorite pictures from an African hunt with a short description of what happened.
Mine is on my first South African Safari at Frontier Safaris in the Eastern Cape. I wanted a Gemsbok the most in this hunt and due to high winds they all were hiding. On day 3 my PH Kian Burchell spotted horns sticking up from a patch of brush in on top of a flat mountain top. How he spotted these in the moving grass I will never know. We stalk within 80 yards and the Gemsbok is napping with his butt facing the edge of the mountain. We get set up on the sticks and nothing happens for 90 minutes. We make animal sounds, whistle and even yell but the wind blowing in our face is so strong he can’t hear us. I watch through my Leupold VX-5 3x-15x scope as the Gemsbok nods off like a grandfather talking a nap on a couch after eating Thanksgiving dinner.
Finally after a hour and a half he stood to stretch and I nail him. The funny thing is I was worried he would spot us and bound of the back off the backside of the mountain I was completely calm. It didn’t matter how long it took I was happy to be on that mountain waiting.
Two pictures are of a screenshot of a video my PH made of me on the sticks with the horns barely visible in the grass. Second one is the after kill shot.
IMG_6706.jpeg
IMG_5961.jpeg

My warthog in the Kalahari region of South Africa. Spotted his hind quarters sticking out of the weeds a few hundred yards down the track. He was totally oblivious to the ph and I as he was down on his front legs digging up some roots. My CZ550 in 375 H&H and 300 grain Barnes TSX anchored him on the spot from about 20 yards.
IMG_20231011_124207.jpg

IMG_20231011_131449.jpg

This is Tina with her Duiker on the same trip. She stalked to within about 75 yards and took this fella. The Ranch we were on had an unusual number of Steinbok and Duiker, as well as Jackal.

Last edited:
My last trip we were after a certain old waterbuck bull that needed to be removed from the gene pool. On the way to his river bottom haunts this lone impala ram stepped into view on the divide. Had to wait quite a while for him to turn to look at us to verify shape. Length was definitely very good. He started to walk away. Nuts. Then suddenly stopped and turned and looked at us. "Oh my! Nice one, Pat!" BANG. I knew as soon as the bullet left the barrel the shot was too far back. Crap. Tracker went ahead to find blood. He walked out of sight around the corner ahead of us. After a few seconds he came back with a big grin. "Ram is down!" Where? "In the middle of the road." It ran about 150 yards into a ravine and back up the other side before dying on the road. Shot in the liver. I moved it for photo op.
20230813_102935.jpg

Previous safari, my third, we spotted an acceptable black wildebeest bull with long horns about 500 yards off. PH asked me if I wanted long horns or big bosses. "Both." He laughed. That's what we all want but very hard to find. Okay, I'll take long horns. So off we go making a long stalk up a frosty slippery dry creek bottom and around a ridge peak to get the wind right. Just as we dropped over the top my PH suddenly crouched. He slowly stood up with binocs, then set up the sticks. "Nice bull bedded very close. Be ready to shoot fast. As soon as he stands, let him have it." And I did. One shot with 165 gr 30-06 flattened him. Barely a hundred yards. Not the bull we were after. This one was hidden from view bedded at the back of a small bench. And he has both length and bosses!
20220821_094540.jpg

IMG_0207copy.jpg

IMG_9882copy1.jpg

My wife and I with a cull impala she made a great shot on. She's an accomplished deer hunter, but never shot anything else and she was very nervous. Made a great shot and dropped it on the spot. Taken on the last day of our 2024 trip to Frontier Safaris in the Eastern Cape.

Myself with my first African animal, black wildebeest. I made a terrible shot and we had to track it for a big chunk of the day. Started the trip off with a bang! Taken the first day of our 2024 trip to Frontier Safaris in the Eastern Cape.

Stalked him within 25m...2 quick shots heart/lung... .470NE. He fell where he stood..

BF 1.jpeg
BF 7.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
medicalbooks43

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?