Post Safari Depression

Just completed my 7th African adventure. Most addictive hunting I've ever been involved in. Those who have never been "just can't feel it." Those who have been it is like being a member in the brotherhood.

Just reading this thread reminds me of the sound of a Go-Away bird above my head. Watching animals walking in the brush and windy, sandy soil of Texas is another reminder of watching animals move in Africa.

New memberships are always available and welcomed !!

I know the feeling of post adventure depression. Upon returning home in July, it took me a full week of sleeping in my own bed to wake up and remember that I wasn’t about to go hunting.

Planning the next adventure is the best medicine. So is more practice on the things that didn’t work out. And fall hunting trips!

I think most of us have experienced it to a degree. When I went it was the opportunity of a lifetime. A dream that I didn't really expect would ever happen. But it did, and words can't describe how amazing it was! I knew that it was a "once-in-a-lifetime" opportunity, and that I would never get to go back.... but what a magical experience! Well, six months later I was back! I would have been back again had covid not £@《€|] things up. I had dates figured and was just about to book the flights. And @Tundra Tiger I can almost guarantee that I make less money than you do! I just cut every single corner I could to skimp and save anything I could! It was like I was obsessed with the thought of going back, and one way or another I was going to make ir happen! I think the bug bit me HARD!!!
I agree with all the suggestions to help ease the pain. That's why I spend so much time on this site! Ultimately, the only way to scratch the itch is to go back, so get started planning. Remember, it's only an addiction if you're trying to quit!!!

Been there done that. I started callling it post safari bummer. It goes away after about 6 trips over though.

A transition/support group for those just returning from safari may be in order…
I think they have a couple of these groups already.... They are called DSC and SCI, and we meet almost every month. LOL
Also, sitting in a trophy room and/or looking a photos does help. (well a little, )
For me the best medicine is booking the next hunt, even if it's not Africa.

It hit me hard this year after spending 23 of the best days of my life in South Africa. On the plane flight home I was looking at 2022 calendar. Four days after being home I was Whatsapping with Gerrit about dates for 2022. Nine days after being back I had Jennifer at Travel Express booking flights! Since July the game species we were hunting has changed twice. I have added a Buff cow again so rifle battery has changed. Also with the plains game we will hunt I decided I needed a new long range rifle and that is in progress being built.
I am still 200 days from departure and find myself going over packing lists already!

You all have made me an addict for sure and people are saying I need rehab!

Ok, I've always heard the bit about once you get the dust of Africa on your boots you'll have to go back. But I never heard of the depression you may experience after returning. After getting back on a Sunday I made myself go golfing on Wednesday, yes made myself and I'm a golf nut. But on the 5th green I actually said aloud to myself, "I should just quit, this is boring". I found a little relief in taking my 375 out and shooting what, with this current ammo shortage, are some precious rounds but that return to joy left soon after the rifle was cleaned and put back in the safe. My wife even begged me to get out of the house and do something to which my reply was "all I want to do is go back to Africa". She said, "I know you're just miserable" but at least she didn't say it with a chuckle because she has a touch of it too I suspect.
Now I know where Hemingway's statement about how he never had a morning in Africa where he didn't wake up happy probably came from. He had the same malady upon his return from Africa.
Some tips in dealing with this illness that I've found helpful. Make sure you have some "Africa" ammo saved back and shoot. Spend time watching safari videos on youtube. Look up what's happening on AH. Get a book on African trophies and study it. Reread some of your favorite books on Africa. Listen repeatedly to the bird calls from Africa you recorded with you phone and maybe even make one a ringtone and naturally change your screen savers to safari pics on all devices. Go set up some deer blinds or stands and brush them in. Seek out anyone who is interested, semi-interested, or just polite enough not to walk away and tell them all about your trip. Go into particular detail with stories of stalks,...etc. Don't let their apparent boredom put you off even if they're hearing about it for the 3rd or 4th time. They'll get over it eventually and will quit acting like they didn't see you at the store. Realize that many won't have any sympathy for your plight, even fellow hunters, but those who have been there will. Spend time reevaluating what furniture, pictures, and whatnot are really needed in the living room since this or that animal would look better there.
Lastly, don't blame the safari outfitter you went with, @TSALA HUNTING SAFARIS . Remember, you initiated it all, take responsibility for your actions. Most importantly, start thinking about your next trip and what you want to pursue.
I hope to help others with this post and maybe prevent or ease their suffering. But, I won't suggest you not go to Africa, not me, and if you do and find yourself in this predicament just message me, I'll listen, because I understand.

The depression is real, it takes me about a month to get over it. Even hunting here in states doesn't really break me out of it.

After all the prep for any event you will have a letdown after the event is over. I have had that in not just in hunting but for national and regional shooting competitions.

A solution that works for me is just to start getting ready for the next thing as well as settling into the normal daily routine. My normal routine includes a lot of shooting and international travel so that is a plus.

Of course, I am already booked for 8 days of a photo safari and14 days of a DG safari in Zimbabwe and 7 days of PG hunting in Zambia, so having the "next thing" in sight helps.

Sorry but the ONLY way to prevent or recover from this depression is to immediately book another safari! That way you'll be all excited again doing the planning and dreaming and load development and scouting out new species and areas and buying new rifles for said safari.

book the next safari....... just book it with me!!!:P Elmer Fudd::giggle::giggle:

Do what are last two visiting hunters did. Book another hunt for them and their wives before they leave! No depression just anticipation!!!

I haven't made it over yet but I'm booked for July 6-18 next year.
I can definitely relate to the depression though, having felt it a couple times in a bear camp in Maine and another in Alberta Canada. Then once or twice leaving Texas and a few other places.
I think it will be on a whole different level when I get back from my first trip to Africa. I doubt any other hunt will compare

I am not where some of you fine folks are at, with maybe being able to plan an annual trip. That is not a complaint, and I don't begrudge you your lot in life at all... it's just a fact. That said, I can now say I have been, and that feels simply magnificent. I do want to go again, as often as I can manage, for the rest of my days. I think 2022 is probably out, but I am hopeful for 2023.

I love the ideas some of you have shared. I have done a few of them myself.

One thing I'd like to ask about... a while back someone (or maybe it's happened a lot and I'm being lazy) shared about having a photo coffee table type book made. I'd love to have this done, and it seems a nice pursuit for dealing with post trip blues. Suggestions on places that do a nice job with something like this?

My trophies are currently in transit. Their arrival is still months out. Still, when they do arrive, that should provide some post safari relief.
I’ve used Shutterfly for photo books, etc

Been there done that. I started callling it post safari bummer. It goes away after about 6 trips over though.

Thanks man. Soooo... I've got 5 more to go before I can start to leave this behind? Perfect. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I haven't made it over yet but I'm booked for July 6-18 next year.
I can definitely relate to the depression though, having felt it a couple times in a bear camp in Maine and another in Alberta Canada. Then once or twice leaving Texas and a few other places.
I think it will be on a whole different level when I get back from my first trip to Africa. I doubt any other hunt will compare
You got that right. I’ve been on a lot of trips but nothing came close to Africa. I’ve had many enjoyable hunting trip with great success but never had it this bad.

I think most of us have experienced it to a degree. When I went it was the opportunity of a lifetime. A dream that I didn't really expect would ever happen. But it did, and words can't describe how amazing it was! I knew that it was a "once-in-a-lifetime" opportunity, and that I would never get to go back.... but what a magical experience! Well, six months later I was back! I would have been back again had covid not £@《€|] things up. I had dates figured and was just about to book the flights. And @Tundra Tiger I can almost guarantee that I make less money than you do! I just cut every single corner I could to skimp and save anything I could! It was like I was obsessed with the thought of going back, and one way or another I was going to make ir happen! I think the bug bit me HARD!!!
I agree with all the suggestions to help ease the pain. That's why I spend so much time on this site! Ultimately, the only way to scratch the itch is to go back, so get started planning. Remember, it's only an addiction if you're trying to quit!!!
What’d you do to cut corners to save? With kids, mortgage, higher grocery costs, life in general seems to be so expensive and living on one income isn’t easy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anya73On

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?