Possibly dumb sling question

Axle2010

AH enthusiast
Joined
Nov 7, 2022
Messages
442
Reaction score
578
Location
South Georgia
Media
7
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Hunted
South Africa
So let's all agree that the cobra style tooled/engraved/carved leather sling looks the best on an African rifle. That's what I've been looking at but they don't allow you to wrap your arms in them very well and I've read that they don't actually hold in place on your shoulder very well (slide down and off) especially with a heavier rifle. So what do yall use for your safari rifles that works well and looks the part?
 
On my .375 Ruger I have one of those rubber slings and it will not slip off of your shoulder, it goes with the rifle as it is a Houge stocked Ruger Alaskan. On my more classic .416 Rigby I have a buffalo leather cobra type sling and it works ok but I haven’t carried it near as much as the Ruger.
If I remember correctly the rubber sling is from Slogan Outdoors and the buffalo sling is from African Sporting Creations.
 
I use something similar to this:

 

Attachments

Trader Keith’s canvas sling. This photo is from their website.

IMG_0742.jpeg
 

 

Attachments

I prefer the Trader Keiths as well. The leather slings with the leather thong ends that are tied instead of metal buckles also look right at place on a rifle for Africa.
 
The old GI leather slings are great. Several companies make reproductions very reasonably. I don't care for the cobra style because I'm often wearing a daypack. Those fatter slings sit on top of the pack's shoulder strap and tend to wander off my shoulder while hiking. The narrower military style sling stays nicely trapped on my shoulder between my neck and the pack's shoulder strap.
 
Trader Keith’s canvas sling. This photo is from their website.

View attachment 603070

Agreed, possibly the best sling made. The rubber in the weave absolutely hold it on your shoulder.

Oh, as regards the cobra style sling, IMO there is nothing Africa about them at all. I don’t think I’ve ever seen one in Africa, nor do I think I’ve ever seen one in a vintage safari picture.
 
The Trader Keith sling was recommended by several members here to me several years ago. Liked the first one, I own several now. Previously used leather or nylon and was constantly hitching the rifle up on my shoulder.
 
Trader Keith’s is good.

I also use a fixed-length leather sling I made from an old belt. It also works very well.
 
Agreed, possibly the best sling made. The rubber in the weave absolutely hold it on your shoulder.

Oh, as regards the cobra style sling, IMO there is nothing Africa about them at all. I don’t think I’ve ever seen one in Africa, nor do I think I’ve ever seen one in a vintage safari picture.
You know I haven't seen them in pics either....I guess I just associated the wide slings with the heavy rifles and made up my own story lol. I think that T K will go great in my 375
 
Canvas looks the best on an African rifle. By a long shot
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,299
Messages
1,571,130
Members
169,118
Latest member
NolanStran
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

autofire wrote on ThinAirHunter's profile.
I think forum prohibits making reference or giving personal references to PH/Outfitters that don't advertise on this forum.

But you can call me. I would be happy to discuss Cape Buffalo .

Bob 813-310-6992
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
 
Top