Politics

It’s amazing the pressure that government can put on companies. How did the COVID shot magically become free, or free covid tests shipped out for free or extremely cheap administered locally.
If a drug is truly a life changer why should it be so far out of reach of the every day person?
Given how much a lot of us on this forum pay in taxes and SS and Medicare and the list goes on, how is it these drugs are out of reach for so many people? If they are truly there to help people, then I believe RFK will make it accessible.

Well someone has to pay for the R&D. If there is no return on investment there will be no R&D in private companies. If public money pays for it, the development of new technologies will drown in a sea of bureaucracy.
 
Exactly. This is always the misconception of my UK friends about the NHS.

'Free at the point of dispense' does not mean free...
In some respects, for a lot of the public, it is free in that it is income redistribution. Take from those that pay a lot of taxes to those that pay little or none.
 
IMG_2517.jpeg
 
In some respects, for a lot of the public, it is free in that it is income redistribution. Take from those that pay a lot of taxes to those that pay little or none.
Yeah, that's true in that it's a social program, so it benefits the poor and screws the rich. Same as any other tax, really.

I'd point out that the UK has rather high 'point of sale' taxes compared to the US though, a lot of which also ends up in the NHS. A 20% sales tax, and a 100% tax on gasoline and diesel as an example, so even for those below the income tax threshold it's a big cost.

Going back to the income tax implications, it accounts for about 30% of total tax take, so call it 10-15% of gross income for anyone earning above GBP25k or so... Basically the main driver for the disparity between US tax rates and UK ones, which is not insignificant.

Plus of course, the service is pretty awful and it's such a sacred cow politically that it's impossible to do anything to improve it or make it more efficient.

Personally I do not miss it one bit and I attribute it as a major driver for the lower cost of living in the US. Even when you do consider the cost of health insurance over here. I guess if I was earning $30k/annum over here my opinions would be different of course.
 
Well someone has to pay for the R&D. If there is no return on investment there will be no R&D in private companies. If public money pays for it, the development of new technologies will drown in a sea of bureaucracy.
Very true. Except in China where they have no R&D because the CCP has stolen every technologically advanced everything from other countries AND the CCP subsidizes MOST of their private company products like pharmaceuticals, steel, aluminum and mining of precious metals. Really for another thread but I had to post when my feeble brain thought of it. LOL
 
In some respects, for a lot of the public, it is free in that it is income redistribution. Take from those that pay a lot of taxes to those that pay little or none.
Well, it's income redistribution for those in this country able bodied that refuse to WORK full or even part time or at all and the rest of us working paying for their government "assistance". I'm not opposed to assistance for those who can't work due to mental or physical impairments or assistance to those working two or three jobs to make ends meet, but this "free is for me" for the rest isn't sustainable.
 
I’m enjoying some heated Christmas political discussions with the family! Having some Nelson Rhum to go ;)

Topics tonight are US politics, Trump, FR presidents, Musk, China, Russia, transgenders, liberty of speech,… [emoji23]
 
I’m enjoying some heated Christmas political discussions with the family! Having some Nelson Rhum to go ;)

Topics tonight are US politics, Trump, FR presidents, Musk, China, Russia, transgenders, liberty of speech,… [emoji23]
@Bob Nelson 35Whelen Bundy Rhum (Rum)? LOL
 
No!!!! Martinique Rhum, some proper stuff :)

Absolutely, it seems only the French are still making rum with Cane sugar and not molasses.
 
@CoElkHunter
Keep up the good work mate
Bundy rum gives you insight and wisdom when consumed in moderation
Problem with rum is the more you drink the dumber you get. I know this from experience.
You become invincible until the next morning when the brain catches up with the pain.
Bob
 
Absolutely, it seems only the French are still making rum with Cane sugar and not molasses.

I believe Flor de Caña is made out of Cane sugar.
 
I just checked. my gifted Pussers 15 yr uses Molasses. I opened and put a dent in it Christmas Eve

View attachment 654705

Pusser

What RN personnel refer to when talking about a section (stores) of the Royal Navy

Before my time but Pussers Rum was a daily ration for all serving personnel ( the rum ration)

It was not unknown to share your ration with a mate

In which case you might be offered a “sipper” or “gulper”

Here endeth….

J

Oh - and while I’m at it

The expression- “to splice the main brace”

Until recently meaning to drink a little more than ‘your maiden aunt might’

Originates from the reward of a rather large shot of rum for the fella that clambered into the rigging to re splice the rope (brace) that linked main with mizen (masts)
 
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
70,343
Messages
1,573,555
Members
169,760
Latest member
hb88gdn
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top