Politics

So who's shrinking the tent? The bad-tempered candidate who says something stupid or the "adult" pearl-clutchers who are saying "well I never, I'm taking MY ball and staying home!"
The candidate. 100% the candidate.

I work with the marketing function of our business from time to time.

They're pretty good at what they do, but every now and again, they launch a campaign or a product that simply doesn't land with consumers. It happens.

Now, they can tell me "Well, it was a great campaign, people were just too oblivious to get it", or "The campaign was good, but people were too distracted by something else" or even "The campaign message was right, but people were dumb and misinterpreted the situation".

They might be right with those observations, but it doesn't bring back that lost market share, and that's on them. Frankly, I respect the employees in that function who own their screw up, learn from it, and then try and fix their mistakes far more than the ones who make excuses...

Politics is exactly the same. It is, after all, just marketing with the candidate as the 'product'. You tell stories that resonate with your market, you present the product in the best possible light, hopefully that grows your market share. If you don't manage that, you fail.

So you're definitely in the "pearl-clutcher" camp. So noted.
Surprised everyone, I'm sure.
Yep, myself and 81 million others. ;)

This election is becoming the same as the 2020 election. People voting against Trump rather than for the other candidate. Any other GOP candidate, it would have been a slam dunk.

As I have stated before my hope for this election is a GOP Senate. POTUS I am ambivalent.

I see self check outs brought up frequently in discussions. And supposed loss of jobs.
Obviously I can't speak of the entire country but I've worked in grocery stores most of my life. 37 years.
If it wasn't for the self check outs you'd have even emptier shelves. Nobody lost thier job. They just got a different job. We're usually 20 employees short at all times. Every store in at least western Colorado is the same.
I've worked 6+ days a week for 25 years due to lack of employees. Nobody wants to work.
We do start even baggers at $20 an hour btw.
I'm just the produce dpt manager and make a petty good living. My department is usually 40 to 100 hours per week understaffed depending on the season.
Everyone demands we get paid better wages and hire more non existent employees then turn around and complain about prices going up.
Anyway, just my thoughts on that. If anyone wants a job here you'll get hired immediately.
i don't know where you work so can only speak to the shops here in Australia. The cashiers are now "assisting" shoppers at the auto checkouts. There are always 2-3 staff helping out and even one special individual standing at the entrance to the auto checkouts pointing to the next available terminal (like we are all too daft to see that it has just become available!

So no, I don't buy your argument. They have maybe 2 humans operating checkouts and another 3-4 "manning" the auto ones. They are not helping to stock shelves etc.

That’s a very fair point. I’ve been in a room with Trump speaking and every news agency reported it inaccurately, including Fox!

Before we get our panties in a wad. Can someone produce the video of Trump (recently) stating he doesn’t want Haley voters.

I’m not saying it doesn’t exist. But have not seen any evidence of it.

i don't know where you work so can only speak to the shops here in Australia. The cashiers are now "assisting" shoppers at the auto checkouts. There are always 2-3 staff helping out and even one special individual standing at the entrance to the auto checkouts pointing to the next available terminal (like we are all too daft to see that it has just become available!

So no, I don't buy your argument. They have maybe 2 humans operating checkouts and another 3-4 "manning" the auto ones. They are not helping to stock shelves etc.
Same here at wallyworld self check out. Nearly one to one ratio of assistants to customers most of the time. Two reasons for those numbers. One is to deter shoplifting even though overhead cameras monitor self check out. And, assist in transactions to speed up process and to check IDs for those items requiring it. Other stores in area not quite as high ratio of assistant to customer ratio as seen at wallyworld, but fairly high nonetheless.

Before we get our panties in a wad. Can someone produce the video of Trump (recently) stating he doesn’t want Haley voters.

Haley did an interview on Fox yesterday where she openly offered to help the Trump Campaign. She seemed to not be holding any animosity.

Is FEMA still prioritizing help and assistance based on DEI rather than need? With the money they have left after handing so much out to illegal aliens.

20241008_082433.jpg
20241008_082436.jpg

With a seemingly irrational obsession and focus by some in this forum on Russia… who’s paying attention to the two equal or larger “elephants in the room”- China and Iran? They are certainly an equal or greater threat to US national security interests than Russia. The endless explanation and coverage of the minutia of the tactical battlefield in Ukraine seems as useless as the endless drone of sports stats on some tv or radio program. The big picture seems lost, similar to the mental caloric drain to the candy of a video game. :(

Walz is on record for eliminating the Electoral College, that being the most basic foundation of Marxist-Communist doctrine. Should tell everyone all they need to know before Nov 5.

But the big political debate here seems to be about Trump not kissing Haley’s butt after she stayed in the “primary race” after Trump was the nominee… forcing Trump to use extra campaign resources against both Haley and the Dems. All because RINOS and Dems continued to fund the Haley campaign (while she happily accepted and used it) after Trump was the nominee. Done seemingly for the purpose of damaging Trump while hoping lawfare would take him out !! There is always more to the story and no mystery if history, even recent history, is viewed through a clear lens.

Last edited:
With a seemingly irrational obsession and focus by some in this forum on Russia… who’s paying attention to the two equal or larger “elephants in the room”- China and Iran? They are certainly an equal or greater threat to US national security interests than Russia. The endless explanation and coverage of the minutia of the tactical battlefield in Ukraine seems as useless as the endless drone of sports stats on some tv or radio program. The big picture seems lost, similar to the mental caloric drain to the candy of a video game. :(
I for one appreciate the updates on Ukraine and I wish the media, especially Fox, would at least offer a daily brief. Heck even weekly!

And Europe! We saw almost nothing of the farmers strike they had and it was very significant.

But yes more coverage on China would be helpful. What is going on in the Chinese economy? As for Iran, I suspect we will hear plenty when Isreal gets around to retaliation.

What I'm burned out on is the endless rinse and repeat of the same political commentary. Thank God the election is less than a month away!

Y
Harris just publicly blamed Hurricane Helene fema response on Trump…….. you can’t make this crap up…..
Yeah.....unfortunately they can...........and some will believe it.

I for one appreciate the updates on Ukraine and I wish the media, especially Fox, would at least offer a daily brief. Heck even weekly!

And Europe! We saw almost nothing of the farmers strike they had and it was very significant.

But yes more coverage on China would be helpful. What is going on in the Chinese economy? As for Iran, I suspect we will hear plenty when Isreal gets around to retaliation.

What I'm burned out on is the endless rinse and repeat of the same political commentary. Thank God the election is less than a month away!
Just like a soap opera…

Walz is on record for eliminating the Electoral College. Should tell everyone all they need to know before Nov 5.

But the big political debate here seems to be about Trump not kissing Haley’s butt after she stayed in the “primary race” after Trump was the nominee… forcing Trump to use extra campaign resources against both Haley and the Dems. All because RINOS and Dems continued to fund the Haley campaign (while she happily accepted and used it) after Trump was the nominee. Done seemingly for the purpose of damaging Trump while hoping lawfare would take him out !! There is always more to the story and no mystery if history, even recent history, is viewed through a clear lens.
Hillary Clinton is also on record wanting to do away with the Electoral College. In fact I remember a civics and history teacher back in high school talking about how the Electoral College is antiquated and no longer needed! Yes the liberals were trying to brainwash us towards a liberal bent way back in the '70's. The Electoral College was truly a huge foresight by the founding fathers. I am continually amazed at how a group of men some 237 years ago could come up with such thorough and insightful documents as to still be so relevant. Now if only our elected and appointed officials would honor their oaths to support and defend the Constitution from all enemies, especially domestic!

We were in Africa during the Republican Convention. Did Haley continue her campaigning after Trump was nominated at the convention?

Haley did an interview on Fox yesterday where she openly offered to help the Trump Campaign. She seemed to not be holding any animosity.
She has said that several times - an offer he has studiously ignored.

From my perspective that is a completely incorrect observation. I have always couched my concerns with respect to Russian imperial ambitions in context to how much more difficult those goals make our challenge in curbing China. Xi obviously understands this full well even if you refuse to do so. That effort to divide our focus by threatening Europe and our interests there through a resurgent Russia was the only purpose of the Sino-Russian agreement prior to the '22 Olympics. Failing to understand that as the neo-isolationists seem determined to do, simply furthers not only Russian strategic goals, but also those of China.

Iran, unlike China and Russia, is a regional nuisance. They can indeed cause a great deal of arm through terrorist sponsorship, but in no way does Iran represent a true strategic threat to our international interests. Indeed, in some ways they are useful, because the regional threat they represent overshadows much Arab concern with Israel. That was a major motivation for the initial success of the Abraham Accords and the current lack of Arab support for Hamas and Hezbollah.

Therefore, it is actually the big picture that the isolationists are missing. If all that is too nuanced or laden with minutia for some, then I would suggest they not burden themselves with reading my commentary.

Last edited:
Hillary Clinton is also on record wanting to do away with the Electoral College. In fact I remember a civics and history teacher back in high school talking about how the Electoral College is antiquated and no longer needed! Yes the liberals were trying to brainwash us towards a liberal bent way back in the '70's. The Electoral College was truly a huge foresight by the founding fathers. I am continually amazed at how a group of men some 237 years ago could come up with such thorough and insightful documents as to still be so relevant. Now if only our elected and appointed officials would honor their oaths to support and defend the Constitution from all enemies, especially domestic!

We were in Africa during the Republican Convention. Did Haley continue her campaigning after Trump was nominated at the convention?
Of course she didn't continue her campaign. She ended it following Super Tuesday on March 6, 2024. She endorsed Trump in May.

If I remember right it was a Truth social rant that went viral.
But the big political debate here seems to be about Trump not kissing Haley’s butt after she stayed in the “primary race” after Trump was the nominee…

She suspended her campaign in March, way before he became the nominee in July.

BTW, it is not “kissing ass” to reach out to rivals after one has been endorsed by them. It is good politics.

Last edited:
Peter Zeihan has some great information on China and breaking down some of the issues China will face in the next decade.

Essentially, Xi's power in vacuum, 40 years of lying about their population, local and corporate debt, and a housing surplus that pretty much all of the Chinese savings at a value of .10 on the dollar...they are going to have issues.

Iran will probably does not exist as it does today in 5 years.

Russia is being bleed dry and is going to lose a generation of men. I don't have issue with the US funding Ukraine, but I have issue with the US dictating the terms of the engagement that is preventing Ukraine from actually winning. Also, I find it a bit of revisionist history to think Trump is going to let Putin win, Biden said he was ok with a minor excursion, didnt provide defense resources beforehand, and offered Zelesky a ride figuring Kiev would fall in 3 days. Only when the Ukrainians fought back and fend off the Russians (mostly due to Russian incompetence) did it become "as long as it takes".

Also, I find it a bit of revisionist history to think Trump is going to let Putin win,
Vance specifically stated that they would have Ukraine yield territory and be prevented from joining NATO or EU. That is letting Russia win.

She suspended her campaign in March, way before he became the nominee in July.

He didnt become the official nominee until the RNC in July...

But he already had all of the delegates needed to become the nominee on March 11th.. it was 100% impossible for anyone else to become the nominee after that (unless someone, I dunno... assassinated trump... :) )...

It was also very clear by the end of January that Trump was going to become the nominee... while it was still possible for him to not get to the needed number of delegates, it was already HIGHLY improbable.. and the chances of Haley getting the nod were almost impossible..

Haley didnt drop out until March 6th..

While I completely agree that the way Trump messaged his frustration was not just wrong, it was a political blunder... the fact that he was frustrated is well supported and legitimate however

By February it was clear no one else was going to get the R ticket but trump... no one else was campaigning against him but Haley.. and while it was obvious that Haley wasnt going to win, she didnt drop out (thereby costing Trumps campaign money.. and causing Trump to have to continue to combat Haley rather than getting an earlier focus on knocking Biden/Harris out)...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LydiaMcCou

Latest profile posts

TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!
TAG SAFARI wrote on K31's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on davidg8480's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on Daven22s's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on bobdahunter84's profile.