Politics

Isreal has billions in surplus or did 1 yr. ago.
That doesn’t mean that they don't need to continue being supplied with top quality weapons systems. Or US fighter planes helping shoot down missels and rockets heading into Isreal. Not saying we need to donate the hardware to them.... I'm not sure how that does work or how it should.

And of course the MSM has no comment on any of this. Katrina was rather different. Fort Bragg (Liberty) has the second largest Blackhawk fleet in the army. It is my understanding, they sat ready to launch for 72 Hours. No one ever called.

A friend (retired armor officer) owns a farm on the VA/NC border… his area was heavily impacted…

It was 4 days into this mess before he saw the first flyover… it was a lone OH58 that he thinks was surveying damage…

Another thing not being reported.. there is an organized group of private helo pilots that responded and started air dropping supplies to remote areas because no one else was… FEMA and the FAA apparently shut them down and threatened to lock them up because “safety violations”…

Right now, I'm just waiting for someone to say: "You're doing a fine job, Brownie..."

A friend (retired armor officer) owns a farm on the VA/NC border… his area was heavily impacted…

It was 4 days into this mess before he saw the first flyover… it was a lone OH58 that he thinks was surveying damage…

Another thing not being reported.. there is an organized group of private helo pilots that responded and started air dropping supplies to remote areas because no one else was… FEMA and the FAA apparently shut them down and threatened to lock them up because “safety violations”…
Several stories just like this. To the national media, the storm has essentially never happened.

And Fox isn't covering much on the hurricane either, some things do make you wonder. What's the phrase...Kabuki theater?

And of course the MSM has no comment on any of this. Katrina was rather different. Fort Bragg (Liberty) has the second largest Blackhawk fleet in the army. It is my understanding, they sat ready to launch for 72 Hours. No one ever called.

Yes sir the media was very different during Katrina, MSM was gorging on any chance to slam GWB; remember the picture of GWB looking out the window of air force one during the fly over?

Conveniently MSM didn't cover other nonsense during that time.... Like the $2,000 FEMA cards being handed out like parade candy! - I was living and studying in College Station at the time and we were the official evacuation route; it became apparent there were no restriction on those FEMA cards as people were using them for bar tabs at the nightclub I worked.

Then I went to Sherman TX(hour north of Dallas) for the holiday season and stopped by my buddies bail bonds office and he was in the process of bailing out three men for trafficking charges.... All three were paying their bail with FEMA cards and were unhappy that they had to wait for the following week for their cards to be "reupped" with another $2K.

As for the helicopter pilot post in your article.... That man/pilot is former LEO and military so he's more than familiar with chain of command and emergency response procedures; he contacted the local LEO office and they provided him with radio frequencies that were being used to coordinate rescue efforts.

He flew into pick up an elderly couple that were stranded and made the decision to take the woman out and leave his son with the husband because of weight issues and tight landing area and the amount of possessions/pets the woman wanted to take with her..... upon landing the fire chief in charge told him that he was interfering with his rescue operation and if he went back he would be arrested.

[emoji[emoji6]]" data-quote="Brent in Az" data-source="post: 0" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
Republican swamp member, Liz Cheney, is campaigning with Harris. She's basically giving Trump, and the rest of us, the middle finger for running her out of congress

And with Collin Allred, Ted Cruz’s opponent. F her.

I am not sure. Rural and red western North Carolina and Northern GA may not get to vote.
That is a great concern, my hope is that they get some infrastructure up and running in time and that the people are so pissed off that they will do anything to get their vote cast.

Republican swamp member, Liz Cheney, is campaigning with Harris. She's basically giving Trump, and the rest of us, the middle finger for running her out of congress
It reinforces why Republicans gave her the boot in the first place.

I am not sure. Rural and red western North Carolina and Northern GA may not get to vote.

Good point.
You may have just landed on the reason they’re not in a hurry to move people out.

If they can keep the rural areas isolated, they’ve got it made.

You can bet the Democrats would be dropping voting boxes on every hilltop with pre-filled out ballots if they needed to

When I was in high school the democrats couldn’t stop calling her father all the things they call Trump now and sometimes worse. Some of them thought he was a war criminal who should be brought before The Hague. Short memories in politics.

Less people then,
What’s your solution to keep people in a job in a world that’s focussed on making there be less jobs to improve a bottom line?

@Certus I'll have to get back to you on the global employment issue, I'm focusing on world hunger right now. :A Outta:

Many others have posted examples of the technological changes in particular industries that have automated or allowed them to do more with less. Growing efficiency.

I can remember changing spark plugs annually and having to go to Midas Muffler every few years for a new muffler and tailpipe. Things change. Midas morphed into brakes and other automotive services.

Think about Kodak film. Digital photography killed them and yet more people are taking more photos.

Think about Sears: They could have been what Amazon is today. Sears failed to embrace the internet and shopping carts in their stores. All they had to do was put their huge catalog onto the internet and Amazon would likely never occurred.

I worked in the oil industry for over 40 years. I still do some consulting where we do benchmarking studies for most of the major companies around the world. All of them measure dollars per barrel and barrels per employee.

I can cite examples in drilling where automation or technological improvements made a step change in the industry. Drill bit advancement over a hundred years went from a "fish tail bit" (similar to a wood hole bit), to the revolutionary two cone and then three cone bit developed by the Hughes Tool Company. Years later, the PDC bit (polycrystalline diamond compact). Roughnecks on drilling rigs called the PDC bit, "Unemployment bits" because they lasted so much longer that tri-cone bits. But what happened was just the opposite. Wells were drilled faster and cheaper, so more wells were actually economical to drill. This, along with other technological advancements made it economical to develop the "shale oil" plays which are producing millions of barrels of oil per day from formations that were deemed "non-productive" or "non-economical" forty years ago.

Democrat hypocrisy has no limits
When I was in high school the democrats couldn’t stop calling her father all the things they call Trump now and sometimes worse. Some of them thought he was a war criminal who should be brought before The Hague. Short memories in politics.

I know everyone believes they fully understand that foreign aid is a free grab bag for graft, but at least for the portion that is military aid (a very large slice), that is simply not true. I also do not believe it is true of State Department managed funds, but of that I do not have personal experience. I'll again point out that I was, as a Major General, the Chief of US Army Security Assistance (I am sorry if noting my experience again triggers the easily offended). In other words, I oversaw negotiation, award, and management of all US Army international security assistance programs. As I have pointed out repeatedly, a large measure of US military assistance is in kind. Combat platforms that we are no longer using. Two exceptions are Egypt and Israel which benefit from appropriations resulting from the peace accords following the Yom Kippur War.

In those cases and others, I also managed new military assistance programs where an authorization and appropriation was then competed for a procurement for the assisted nation. No money changes hands. The appropriation was handled just like any other procurement by the Army except the end item and accompanying maintenance and training packages went to the foreign source. There is no pile of lose cash to access.

I obviously worked very closely with my two counterparts in the Air Force and Navy. Each service has very strict auditing procedures, and then each service is further audited by DOD.

The strictness of US program management has historically meant that allies would buy or participate in the most critical programs with the US - for instance M1 Abrams, Bradley, and Paladin for Saudi Arabia - and less critical materiel from other countries with less strict accounting - Saudi Arabia's European truck fleet. The shared development and procurement of the F-16 and now F-35 are Air Force examples.

It is curious to me that so many feel compelled to believe there is some kickback scheme involved in international assistance.

What one does find internationally are bribery schemes where a foreign company bribes a foreign procurement decision maker to win a contract. Large American defense corporations watch for that very carefully, and any individual caught doing so is personally criminally liable. But that is rather different than the nonsense that American officials are somehow skimming millions from foreign aid.
I completely agree with your statement obviously you are far more experienced than nearly everyone reading this post. I am curious, what is your definition of an “American official”?

I felt the same way when the first ammo shortage hit and “hunters” were flabbergasted when they couldn’t buy hunting ammo off the shelf the week before deer season…..

As for toilet paper…. When I was a kid toilet paper was so plentiful we used to throw it at the houses of our enemies for fun!
And EGGS!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeraldoCal

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]