Politics

The irony of this longshoremen's strike is that their main focus is "protection against automation" and the results are certain to be more automation. Look at the fast food industry.
Ask George Ludd how his "resist automation" movement in the 1800s worked out.

Personally I think there needs to be less automation/self serve and more human interaction - we’re getting more and more people and trying to cut more and more jobs just so a few at the top can make a better $.

Personally I think there needs to be less automation/self serve and more human interaction - we’re getting more and more people and trying to cut more and more jobs just so a few at the top can make a better $.
Automation is not there just to cut more and more jobs, but in a lot of cases to do more with less and/or more efficiently and with more precision. A lot of things would not even be possible without automation.

A lot of simple things we have or do are enabled due to automation and our lives are richer because of it. Imagine how much time you'd spend doing laundry without washing machines etc..

Automation is not there just to cut more and more jobs, but in a lot of cases to do more with less and/or more efficiently and with more precision. A lot of things would not even be possible without automation.

A lot of simple things we have or do are enabled due to automation and our lives are richer because of it. Imagine how much time you'd spend doing laundry without washing machines etc..
Automation doesn't go on strike either;)

Or call in sick, take vacations, get paid overtime. etc.

That's the problem the longshoremen have. Container cranes are fully automated. The people operating the cranes and loading the semis are in foreign countries getting less than $10/hr. Many longshoremen's jobs aren't going to be around much longer. They are trying to get their money now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timcorry

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?