Politics

Meanwhile back in Ukraine - or perhaps I should say Russia - the Ukrainian armed forces have apparently launched a counter offensive into Russian territory in the Kursk Oblast. This is occurring on the flank of the failed Russian spring offensive. I suspect this is going to be fairly limited and is designed to force redeployment of Russian forces facing Kharkiv. As of this morning, Ukraine is offering no information, and what is emerging is primarily from Russian sources. I would anticipate something from the Russian MOD shortly assuring everyone that everything is going to plan. :unsure:

Reactions: CJW
Bob is Mogadishu USA as bad as I hear. Is most of the state still sane ? Is that why you decided to move south.
I haven't had a real lot of interactions with the Somalian immigrants themselves. The bad part is how they apparently vote! We don't get to Twin Cities all that much and even before the Somalis showed up, places like the Mall of America were spots you want to stay situationally aware. We went to St Cloud often and that is the second location that the Somalis have a large presence. I suspect they are like any population, some good, some bad, most average people. @Just Gina and I were shopping for a bedside table for our Granddaughter and had a Somali woman wait on us. She was knowledgeable of her job and went all out to help us find what we wanted and get it at a discount. She was way above average at her job. On the other hand, it appears plenty are driving without proper training. Thanks to Walz, I suspect they all have drivers licenses. They can come off as very rude in some cases. I'm sure part of it is communication but damn they like to barge ahead in a line. It was getting ridiculous at the airport. We had business class and priority check in but the people in the regular line kept barging in front and most (i think all but one) of the check in people were also Somalis and just let them, maybe even encouraging it. The Minneapolis Airport did seem to be dominated by Somalis both employees and customers. How do these immigrants afford to travel so much?

Most of Rural Minnesota is still sane. And I'm not 100% sure the actual votes support this BS that is going on. In 2022 Gina and I both recieved un-requested ballots in the mail. And about two weeks later we got more ballots with a note that just in case we missed or lost our earlier ones, here is another! You just fill them out and mail them in.... But we wanted to be sure our ballots got there and got entered into the system.... Our local Township Hall was closed so had to drive them in to the County Court House... No option to actually feed your ballot into the counting machine. Only option was to drop it into a cardboard box that resembled a garbage can. No ID check, just drop it in the cardboard garbage can and trust those in charge (Democrats) to accurately count them.
Compared to how it was prior to the Walz administration, voting is way less secure in Minnesota. Compared to Texas, where we voted in the Primary this year.... there is no comparison. And they say Trump is a threat to Democracy???

Our main reasons for moving were taxes and climate. Both the weather and political climate.. The main reason to go so far South was that Gina gave me a couple years in the North as we agreed and just wanted to move South. And we wanted to get to an area without high humidity. She was just done with the long cold winter's. And I was ready to at least spend the worst part of winter's somewhere warmer... However she will not let me sell her snowmobile;) So we plan to still make short trips back to places with snow.... Just hope to avoid the extreme cold.

I had actually started shopping around in Texas back in 2015. Gina has wanted to move to Texas since she was a child. We considered several states with low or no State Income tax, but Texas won out. We liked the idea of having a few acres and some exotic wildlife, the Egyptian geese are a bonus we didn't expect;) And the ability to shoot on our property. Texas seems to love guns almost as much as we do:)

I tell people we escaped the Communist Dictatorship of Minnesota;) And yes Tax consequences have been becoming a bigger issue for us. Especially as we work towards retirement. Minnesota not only charges a 9.85% income tax, but it also charges that to residents on income earned in other states. Having businesses in South Dakota and Kansas it was becoming very burdensome. On top of that, Minnesota does not recognize some of the business deductions the Federal Government allows, and that other states recognize. Being Texas residents, we still have to pay Minnesota it's income tax for income earned in Minnesota. But now we do not need to pay that 9.85% on income we earn in South Dakota and Kansas (Kansas income tax is about half of Minnesota's.) It's more complicated than this but you get the idea.
Screenshot_20240807-164418_Photos.jpg
20240206_071403.jpg
20240218_144647.jpg
20230526_170844.jpg

@ActionBob The company I work for has a plant in northern MN and I briefly considered transferring if a position was available. I just can't bring myself to do it. Such a shame that a big beautiful state can be ruined by such a small area. I grew up with that in Illinois.

Is that a picture of snow-machining in Texas?
Oh, wait, I DID see a little snow.

@ActionBob The company I work for has a plant in northern MN and I briefly considered transferring if a position was available. I just can't bring myself to do it. Such a shame that a big beautiful state can be ruined by such a small area. I grew up with that in Illinois.
There are a lot of us Illinois refugees here in Florida if you are looking to move.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smortium

Latest profile posts

3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available