Politics

Since my boss at my first job out of college told me about being in DeBeer's warehouses stacked with 55 gallon drums of diamonds, I've known for the better part of thirty years that the diamond trade was an inflated bubble based upon man-made scarcity. Hence I have never spent a single dime on a "real" diamond.
Your wife know that?...LOL. :A Outta:

What was really interesting in that Documentary: Is that "Local/Commercial Jewlers have that Machine now, that Tests a Lab Grade vs a Mined Diamond" & will give you a print out. (Resale)
However, those Box's are inaccurate, meanwhile out of all the Mined Diamonds sifted through India, 5% of Fakes pass for Natural Diamonds, etc... Marketing.

That was Good Watch.

Last edited:
Since my boss at my first job out of college told me about being in DeBeer's warehouses stacked with 55 gallon drums of diamonds, I've known for the better part of thirty years that the diamond trade was an inflated bubble based upon man-made scarcity. Hence I have never spent a single dime on a "real" diamond.
When I was in college, I worked for a time in shipping and inventory control for a major jewelry dealer here in town. I saw the paperwork on all of the high-end jewelry that we took delivery of or shipped to other stores. All of the expensive stuff was insured, and the insurance value was typically 1/10 of the retail price!

When I want jewellery made up I go to a manufacturing jeweller I know. For any given diamond that you pay say ZAR50 000 retail the same stone will be roughly ZAR20 000 with him. Obviously he makes his money as well. Probably pays between ZAR5-10K.

No surprise here. I don't know when the west will ever learn. Sub-Saharan Africa ONLY produces freedom fighters who then become terrorists/despots/dictators. The ones you train today will be facing you in a few years time. Well they would be if the West ever showed an interest in Sub-Sahara. The brutality of Africans is bad enough, why train future terrorists? Simple, destabilisation...

With the exception of the Horn of Africa there is little interest in boots on the ground unless it is an ideology driven caper (think Libya). When there were Western countries in Africa the west allowed them to turn into modern day communist countries in misguided attempts to "bring democracy". Seems times haven't changed much in 60 years.

Unless you're African (black or white) you'll never understand Africa and the meddling from East/West has only ever brought more misery. Rhodesia (the Federation) and South Africa were doing quite fine. That was more than likely the problem.

Flame suit on...

No surprise here. I don't know when the west will ever learn. Sub-Saharan Africa ONLY produces freedom fighters who then become terrorists/despots/dictators. The ones you train today will be facing you in a few years time. Well they would be if the West ever showed an interest in Sub-Sahara. The brutality of Africans is bad enough, why train future terrorists? Simple, destabilisation...

With the exception of the Horn of Africa there is little interest in boots on the ground unless it is an ideology driven caper (think Libya). When there were Western countries in Africa the west allowed them to turn into modern day communist countries in misguided attempts to "bring democracy". Seems times haven't changed much in 60 years.

Unless you're African (black or white) you'll never understand Africa and the meddling from East/West has only ever brought more misery. Rhodesia (the Federation) and South Africa were doing quite fine. That was more than likely the problem.

Flame suit on...
That's partially what makes Senegal so interesting. They realized it's not always a good idea to be on your own in the modern world.

Plenty of us that are not African have some understanding of Africa, just not from an African perspective. It's a gigantic and diverse place with many perspectives.

I caught the end of a story on NPR this morning, as I drove to work. One thing I heard was that Niger is of interest to us because we have 2 drone bases there? Maybe someone here with knowledge can chime in. (Red Leg seems like the most likely candidate) ;)

Edit: Reading the story now... drone bases are mentioned...

That's partially what makes Senegal so interesting. They realized it's not always a good idea to be on your own in the modern world.

Plenty of us that are not African have some understanding of Africa, just not from an African perspective. It's a gigantic and diverse place with many perspectives.
When it all boils down the African people are more brutal than the wildlife. Arming and training them is not the way to go. They will prey on each other until there is nobody left or for the next millennium.

The world won't acknowledge that (or refuses). Largely for their own gain but also because, as you stated, you only have SOME understanding. Unfortunately, in this case, a little understanding only creates bigger problems.

"bring democracy".
Western democracy is evolving for last 2000 years since ancient greek philosophers and birth of new testament, together with continuous evolution of compatible social systems and moderns states.

It is impossible to make democracy over night, in third world countries.
But with globalization the process will be faster then in case of western states.
my 5c.

Ernest Hemingway wrote an article for Look magazine after his safari. Look magazine was partly sponsoring his safari.

His closing of the article was like this, after watching and describing the hawk hitting on guinea birds in the bush:

The hawk started to eat the guinea alive and guinea protested vocally. Finally the hawk picked the guinea up and flew with him to the road where he continued to feed on him and guinea continued to protest. They were obviously of different tribes.

Watching this action I was not wholly sure oh the white mens role in Africa

The problem with any governmental/political system whether the leader is a single person in power for life, a group of people who are chosen by the citizens, or no system at all where everyone is their own leader is that in all cases the person in charge is a human.

The problem with any governmental/political system whether the leader is a single person in power for life, a group of people who are chosen by the citizens, or no system at all where everyone is their own leader is that in all cases the person in charge is a human.
Agreed, we all grow from the same twisted root. But, are you arguing for choosing the best from a set of imperfect options or anarchy?

Democracy is an alien concept to the African. That's not a racist statement just simple fact. If power can't be won at the ballot box it will be taken by force. Or it will be retained by force.
Would an example be the overthrow of Samuel K. Doe, by Charles Taylor & Prince Johnson?

UFOs
IMG-20230728-WA0000.jpg

are you arguing

No, I'm not arguing. I am pointing out that all of the various forms of one person causing a change in the behavior of another all suffer from the same problem- both the controller and the controlee are human.

When it all boils down the African people are more brutal than the wildlife. Arming and training them is not the way to go. They will prey on each other until there is nobody left or for the next millennium.

The world won't acknowledge that (or refuses). Largely for their own gain but also because, as you stated, you only have SOME understanding. Unfortunately, in this case, a little understanding only creates bigger problems.
The overthrow of Samuel K. Doe, by Charles Taylor & Prince Johnson, I assume would be an example?

No, I'm not arguing. I am pointing out that all of the various forms of one person causing a change in the behavior of another all suffer from the same problem- both the controller and the controlee are human.
No doubt.

In Western Equatorial Africa: Is anyone familiar with Charles Taylor?

90's era.
Thank you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarinWesle

Latest profile posts

DEAR SIR/MADAM,
DO YOU NEED FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE TO ENLARGE YOUR BUSINESS?
WE HELP INDIVIDUALS AND COMPANIES TO OBTAIN FINANCE FOR BUSINESS
EXPANDING AND TO SETUP A NEW BUSINESS RANGING ANY AMOUNT. GET FINANCE AT AFFORDABLE INTEREST RATE OF 3% contact us Pacific landing Whatsapp +91, Seven, Three, 0, Three, Three, Eight, Two, Six, Three, One
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?