Politics

For those with any interest, this is the second time that an Asian adversary has sent balloons over the US. During WWII, the Japanese launched around 9000 bomb carrying balloons in an attempt to bomb the West Coast. The hope was they would start forest fires and incite terror. Most didn't make it, and little actual damage was done but for a church group on a picnic who found one in Southern Oregon. As they gathered around it, the bomb exploded killing five children and the pregnant wife of the minister.

If I was President, I wouldn't be sitting in D.C making political excuses, and spewing lies.
I would have shot that balloon down within 30 minutes of entering US airspace.

China would do the same if a balloon crossed the Chinese border.

Breaking news! A second spy balloon just spotted over Maryland

hunter spy baloon meme.jpg

What better way to do a test run for deploying COVID-23………
Yeah, I don't think the way in which the Covid 19 pandemic spread throughout the world unintentionally via commercial aircraft carrying infected people was lost on any country or other "entity" determined to AT LEAST severely cripple and maybe even completely destroy an enemy country/countries' economy and financial infrastructure? A much more virulent and deadly contagion with a very high transmission rate and long incubation period spread across the targeted countries before (just like Covid) anyone knows what is happening and how to test for whatever it is? It would make the Covid pandemic pale in comparison to the destruction it would wrought. Dispersed via ONE balloon? Many thousands of balloons? I don't know?

The biggest lie coming out of D.C, is that the military recommendation was not to shoot down the balloon because of concerns of the safety of people on the ground.

What a giant load of bullshit.

The balloon was flying over desolate areas of Montana.

Since when have the swamp rats given a flying f##k about the safety of citizens????

Biden lets the scum of the earth pour across the border every day, to commit crimes, murders, mayhem, etc.

So the news is saying that the ballon is over North Carolina. Once it passes the outer banks it’d be an easy shoot down since it’s out over the Atlantic…….. so which excuse will they use for not thumping it:
1. We have to be concerned about the environmental impact….
2. We missed our opportunity and it was over international waters darn it…..
My guess is number 1 since all these whales have been washing up on the eastern coast…..

The biggest lie coming out of D.C, is that the military recommendation was not to shoot down the balloon because of concerns of the safety of people on the ground.

What a giant load of bullshit.

The balloon was flying over desolate areas of Montana.

Since when have the swamp rats given a flying f##k about the safety of citizens????

Biden lets the scum of the earth pour across the border every day, to commit crimes, murders, mayhem, etc.
Well, whatever the reason was/is not to shoot it down, to tell the American people the BS excuse of "for the safety of the people on the ground", continues the theme by the Brandon administration of playing us for fools! He was so used to lying about everything during his 45+ years as a useless career politician, he continues to do so as President.

Well, whatever the reason was/is not to shoot it down, to tell the American people the BS excuse of "for the safety of the people on the ground", continues the theme by the Brandon administration of playing us for fools! He was so used to lying about everything during his 45+ years as a useless career politician, he continues to do so as President.
Some people are so gullible that they’ll believe anything anyone in a uniform, or a suit for that matter, tells them to believe….. I mean, they are in charge of things? They wouldn’t be in charge if they weren’t honest………

Some people are so gullible that they’ll believe anything anyone in a uniform, or a suit for that matter, tells them to believe….. I mean, they are in charge of things? They wouldn’t be in charge if they weren’t honest………
Well the only thing Brandon should be in charge of is dishing out ice cream cones at his favorite Baskin Robbins! Didn't Obama say to someone once when Brandon was his VP, "Never underestimate Joe's ability to f**k things up"?

1675525775317.jpeg

That second paragraph is one of the the more insulting things I have read here yet. Your experiences as a field grade officer must have been very different than mine.

Civilian authority makes decisions on issues like this. DOD, CIA, and NSA would give a capabilities assessment to the NSC (both ours and the balloon) who would then make a recommendation to the president. I would assume a factor in the decision was that China has intell satellites over flying the US constanty. I would also assume we are able to do a lot with regard to intercepting comms from the thing. That and high resolution imagery would tell us exactly what it was doing.

Unfortunately with this administration, there is always the suspicion that what we are watching is paralysis with regard to China. I would have strongly urged shooting it down (very easily done with a few rounds from a F-16). At least we would have been fairly certain no others would accidentally drift over our missile fields In the future.
Honestly, comments weren’t aimed at you, or retired military.

Our military is changing rapidly, and I do not believe it’s for the better. It’s top-heavy. We have too many generals. Many of them are miss guided, or in roles that don’t help our military. What I see with my own eyes, is combat ready soldiers who just want to kill people and break things, being forced out by a political class of officers.

The soldiers we need in abundance are leaving. The political officers that we do not need at all, are growing in number. This is not healthy for our national defense.

Last edited:
For those with any interest, this is the second time that an Asian adversary has sent balloons over the US. During WWII, the Japanese launched around 9000 bomb carrying balloons in an attempt to bomb the West Coast. The hope was they would start forest fires and incite terror. Most didn't make it, and little actual damage was done but for a church group on a picnic who found one in Southern Oregon. As they gathered around it, the bomb exploded killing five children and the pregnant wife of the minister.

That balloon blast occurred less than 50 miles from my home and sat directly in the middle of my patrol area when I supervised game wardens in Southern Oregon. In the past, it has also been center to many hunting trips.

Members of the surviving members of family are still prominent in the area.

Shrapnel marks in the large Ponderosa Pines are still present. Just a few years ago (2?), a very large wildfire swept through the area and it took extraordinary measures to save the little memorial that marks the spot. Many thanks to the firefighters and their overseers for saving this piece of our history.

With regard to the quality of people now among the highest ranks of the military, a reasonable person would admit that Gen Milley, retd Gen (now Sec of Def and board member of Raytheon Austin, and that imitation Admiral wannabe woman are not what most of the rank & file soldiers, Marines & sailors would consider qualified leaders.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RossAlcala

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt